weekly DK's 52 in 2013 - Wk 47, 50, 51 & 52 added - FINISHED !!!

Evening Dean
Hey Lynne :)

Reflection for me is #1......beautifully still water so sharp reflections....does mess with my eye a little though....still I do really like it
I like the messing with heads bit :D

Recrop of Live is wayyy better...though being a picky madam I'd crop to lose the oof blue bit lower lhs...sorry :rolleyes:
Grrrrrrr :bat:

:LOL:

Left...thinks it's #1 for me...like the minnamilist approach with just a few fluffy clouds to give context , good angle as well :clap:
Thanks Lynne :)

Ooops , nearly missed Melt......garden pea's with butter...yum yum....thikn you've added the only crit re not quite enough melting going on
Yep I did struggle... running down the garden with a bowl of peas trying to keep them hot :nuts:

Hi, Dean, missed a few :thinking:
So did I mate so did I :LOL:

It'll have to be a quick catch up, I'm afraid :nono:
:)

Power #3 for me, it has better symmetry and I like the perspective.
Cool :)

Sweet, good detail in the chocolate and good colours.
Thanks Andy :)

Reshoot has great pastel colours and the low mist works well.
Ta...

Cut, hmmm, cuts through the countryside? Works well, good low angles and detail.
Spot on mate yes... cut through the landscape or countryside (y)

Power, good detail and looks like you couldn't make your mind up where to focus :)
That I couldn't :thinking:

Reflection #1 for me. Really messes with my eyes!!
yay !!!!

Melt, on theme and good detail, and colours. Well composed.

Left, best of the recent posts. Really works for me. The side view of the leaf really adds to the sense of being left. :clap:

Cheers and I'll keep up from now on.
Thats what I thought I was going to do... then I lost key staff at work and my 'me time' vanished like a puff of smoke :LOL:

Yeah, they look very blue/purple against the forum white. Good DOF but it shows up the wrinkles in the BG, you need to blast the white point I reckon.

Wait for it...

Nice CRISP focus though!:LOL:

Hi DK

1st image is the better one besides the white BG issue, I am sure that could be solved though

Yeah, they look very blue/purple against the forum white. Good DOF but it shows up the wrinkles in the BG, you need to blast the white point I reckon.
... I thought I had already :LOL:

Wait for it...

Nice CRISP focus though!:LOL:

:LOL:

Nearly there with your catch up matey, good work keep going (y)

Food, another vote for #1, seeing more of the crisp packet adds to the scene IMHO.
I am not sure what you could do about the colour tint on the whites though, sorry :thinking:

Art, #2 would get my vote, it seems the boldest in a colour sense all being darker tones. Just be careful in your composition though, I feel on these type of shots, you've got to be precise in your setup. My eye is drawn to the gap between 4th and 5th pencil. And the converging verticals at the edges stand out a little too. Overall, good work though Dean, some bold images from such a simple subject (y)

Hi again DK

Art, Iain has already pointed out about the pencils in number 2 but I do like number 3
as well, superbly sharp and nicely in a row (y)

Hi Food, who doesn't like crisps :) I prefer the perspective in #2. The crisps look a tad hot and that maybe why they look a tad OOF??

Art, decent set there. As has been said, symmetry, composition and perspective have to be bang on. The perspective in #1 is slightly off, and the slight gap that has been mentioned does draw the eye. Also, and sad as it is, I imported into PS and drew a line from LH to RH pencil at they are slightly out.....I need to get out more :geek:

So, it's #3 for me. I like the low perspective, colours and composition. Crit, well, there isn't one that stands out so I'd prefer them all in focus IYSWIM.

Cheers.

Whats the best way on Lightroom ??

Hi DK in Lightroom right click the area around your picture and set it to white.
Now in the develop module there is a tint slider in the white balance section - click on the little pointer to select it and use your arrow keys to step towards the left until your picture background matches the white of the area outside of your picture.

Number 3 for me on the pencils (y)

Last edited:
First of the crisps for me... a nice full bag (or 2?) spilling out down the image. nice bright reds. (y)

of the pencils.... the colour, focus, lighting, exposure everything works.... so you then get caught up in the details of the composition...

already covered above, #3 for me too, but I'd like to have no cut off tips at the rear.

And you think these set up, indoor shots are going to be easier!! They rarely are though.

Nearly there with your catch up matey, good work keep going (y)
Cheers Mate :D

Food, another vote for #1, seeing more of the crisp packet adds to the scene IMHO.
I am not sure what you could do about the colour tint on the whites though, sorry :thinking:
Thanks... and no worries :)

Art, #2 would get my vote, it seems the boldest in a colour sense all being darker tones. Just be careful in your composition though, I feel on these type of shots, you've got to be precise in your setup.
Yep I know :whistle:

My eye is drawn to the gap between 4th and 5th pencil.
Yep and mine were... I'm sure they moved when I wasn't looking :cautious:

And the converging verticals at the edges stand out a little too.
I... was going to correct in PS, but to be honest, I really couldn't be arsed :D

Overall, good work though Dean, some bold images from such a simple subject (y)
Cheers Iain :)

Hi again DK
Hey Alan :)

Art, Iain has already pointed out about the pencils in number 2 but I do like number 3
as well, superbly sharp and nicely in a row (y)
Thanks mate :)

Hi Food, who doesn't like crisps :) I prefer the perspective in #2. The crisps look a tad hot and that maybe why they look a tad OOF??
Ooooo maybe :thinking:

Art, decent set there. As has been said, symmetry, composition and perspective have to be bang on.
Don't they just :LOL:

The perspective in #1 is slightly off, and the slight gap that has been mentioned does draw the eye.
I know mate

Also, and sad as it is, I imported into PS and drew a line from LH to RH pencil at they are slightly out.....I need to get out more :geek:
Superb... sound like something I would do :LOL:

Again I did kick myself when editing, as I did spend ages lining them all up, even had all the writing showing the same on the all... BUT I lined them up from their bases not their tips :bonk:

So, it's #3 for me. I like the low perspective, colours and composition. Crit, well, there isn't one that stands out so I'd prefer them all in focus IYSWIM.

Bottoms Up :beer:

Hi DK in Lightroom right click the area around your picture and set it to white.

Now in the develop module there is a tint slider in the white balance section - click on the little pointer to select it and use your arrow keys to step towards the left until your picture background matches the white of the area outside of your picture.
Really !!! - Oo Oo going to go trey that right now :clap:

Number 3 for me on the pencils (y)
Cheers :)

First of the crisps for me... a nice full bag (or 2?) spilling out down the image. nice bright reds. (y)
Tis only One bag :)

of the pencils.... the colour, focus, lighting, exposure everything works.... so you then get caught up in the details of the composition...
Well that's good to hear...I'm enjoying using my lights :)

already covered above, #3 for me too, but I'd like to have no cut off tips at the rear.
Cheers Graham, I agree, I should have cloned the last one out or thought more of the shot in the first place :)

And you think these set up, indoor shots are going to be easier!! They rarely are though.
You aint kidding... but I do love to have a play !!!!

THANKS all for your constructive comments, taken on board... they may not stay in there long but i'll try to remember :LOL:

Damn, late to the party and someone has already cracked the 'crisp' gag!

The product is nicely done in both shots, can't really pick between them, but the background on both has me struggling a bit.

Art #3 for me, a lovely shot. The colours and focus are great in all of them, but the composition of the 3rd stands out. The gap between the pinks in #2 detracts a tiny bit from what would have been a really nice image.

Evening Dean

Edited version of food for me ( though the cloth still needs an iron running over it :LOL: ) , like the lower pov, well lit & very tasty looking crisps (y)

Art.....#3 for me , good angle , sharp on the white one with receding dof :clap:

The angle for #1 doesn't look quite right for me , as if your not actually central to the pencils , #2 is a little squiffy & a bit plain compared to #3

Damn, late to the party and someone has already cracked the 'crisp' gag!
Ain't that your luck :LOL:

The product is nicely done in both shots, can't really pick between them, but the background on both has me struggling a bit.
Thanks Nick... you are not wrong at all :)

Art #3 for me, a lovely shot. The colours and focus are great in all of them, but the composition of the 3rd stands out. The gap between the pinks in #2 detracts a tiny bit from what would have been a really nice image.
Thanks again Nick... strange how we don't spot these bits ourselves while setting up :)
Evening Dean
Evening Lynne... albeit a different one :LOL:

Edited version of food for me ( though the cloth still needs an iron running over it :LOL: ) , like the lower pov, well lit & very tasty looking crisps (y)
An IRON hmmmmm yes, i think I recall one of them in the house somewhere, I think I have ran out of coal though :thinking:

Art.....#3 for me , good angle , sharp on the white one with receding dof :clap:

The angle for #1 doesn't look quite right for me , as if your not actually central to the pencils , #2 is a little squiffy & a bit plain compared to #3
You are correct... I wasnt central :whistle:

Cheers for the comments guys :)

Right.... catch up time AGAIN :|

3 quick ones to get me somewhere close to up to date... I hope to do some re-shoots over the christmas shutdown :)

First One, not what I was looking for but here goes...

Wk 48 - 'Sleek' I wanted a sleeker car... but haven't got one :D

Wk 48 - 'Sleek'
by TP DK, on Flickr

And onto the next....

I have several I wanted to re-shoot but ran out of daylight again... rather than feel behind too much this is a poor re-shoot of wild (mushroom shots with ocf were over exposed :()) here is one of my over grown sheds looking a bit 'Wild'

Boring I know... but another crossed off my list :D

Wk 49 - Re-shoot 'Wild'
by TP DK, on Flickr

Last edited:
That car looks plenty sleek - "glossy", "shiny", "reflective"..... and a damn site cleaner than mine is atm.

Wild - boring I'd have to agree... maybe a bit wider shot might help?

Christmas tree dec for colour works a treat - red popping beautifully out from the dark BG. Merry Christmas... (y)

Hi DK

Sleek, I like the fact that you have only shown a small part of the car, it is very clean which is a bit freaky
Wild, I think you have done your own crit there, bit of preservative wouldn't go amiss there.:LOL:
Colour, is really nice, red really stands out, and very festive it is too :clap:

I like sleek, the texture and tones in the ground against the sharp focus on the slick, shiny tyre wall is a nice contrast.

Wild doesn't really work for me. What might help, is taking a photograph of something completely different!:exit:

Colour is nice. The red pops really well against the muted colours behind, and the subtle falloff of focus just reinforces that. Added interest for me is that it's not the red I'd expect, kinda colder than the usual festive red.

Hi, Food reshoot is much crisper :coat:

Sleek, sad as it sounds, and it does, the first thing I saw is what looks to be a feather near the wheel :nono: Cracking car, sleek indeed, but not as sleek as my Lupo :D

Wild, hmmm, I see where you were going and I guess it's on theme...but doesn't grab me.

Colour, very festive. The red thingy is well captured and lovely red. I'd prefer if the other thingys weren't there so the red thingy was more isololated IYSWIM ;)

Cheers.

Hi Dean

Sleek...if you get bored on the meet can you make my car that clean please :love: Great colors , good DOF & like that it's only a small section of the car (y)

Color...very festive , good separation through DOF...maybe a little brighter in the red ?

Wild.....hmmmmm , not sure but can see what you were aiming for

Sleek: Very clean, didn't we see that Citroen earlier in the year?
Wild: not the most exciting shot I've ever seen... oh well! :D
Colour, this is FAB. Definite xmas card that one Dean :clap:

Oi !

Wakey f*ckin Wakey!

Where on earth are you Deano? :naughty:

Such abuse - shocking - probably an overdose of cheese whilst viewing cows from a hot air balloon.

food - difficulties of b/g aside, a really good subject. I prefer #2 because the detail is better and it is seems more inviting to take a crisp.

Art - on theme and fr me #3 - again because of the pov and the very good detail in the wood and leads and the white bit between them.

Sleek - nice! Good impact with the black and red on the neutral ground. The rubbing strip on the door detracts but not sure what could be done about that without losing the comp.

Colour - the bell rally stands out from the b/g cos of its colour and the focus. Good image which would be ideal on a card.

That car looks plenty sleek - "glossy", "shiny", "reflective"..... and a damn site cleaner than mine is atm. [\quote]Thanks Graham :)

Wild - boring I'd have to agree... maybe a bit wider shot might help?
A new picture would help... a total post and be damned shot from me :LOL:

Christmas tree dec for colour works a treat - red popping beautifully out from the dark BG. Merry Christmas... (y)
Thanks Graham :)

Hey Allan :)

S
leek, I like the fact that you have only shown a small part of the car, it is very clean which is a bit freaky
Thanks... well it was 'Quite clean' thanks to the local 'hand wash' and a bit of cloning of the bits they missed :confused:
Wild, I think you have done your own crit there, bit of preservative wouldn't go amiss there.:LOL:
That or a big hammer and a skip
Colour, is really nice, red really stands out, and very festive it is too :clap:
Cheers mate :)
I like sleek, the texture and tones in the ground against the sharp focus on the slick, shiny tyre wall is a nice contrast.[\quote]Thanks Nick :)

Wild doesn't really work for me. What might help, is taking a photograph of something completely different!:exit:
Very true :D

Colour is nice. The red pops really well against the muted colours behind, and the subtle falloff of focus just reinforces that. Added interest for me is that it's not the red I'd expect, kinda colder than the usual festive red.
Thanks Again... I have had trouble with the Red, it is a much deeper red than the screen portrays, and what ever editing I do I can not quite get it there :thinking:

Hi, Food reshoot is much crisper :coat:[\quote]Hahaaaa :D

Sleek, sad as it sounds, and it does, the first thing I saw is what looks to be a feather near the wheel :nono: [\quote]Really ... DOH, how did I miss that :grumpy:... Concentrated so much on cloning stones and muck from the tyre :geek:

Cracking car, sleek indeed, but not as sleek as my Lupo :D[\quote]Broom Broooooom

Wild, hmmm, I see where you were going and I guess it's on theme...but doesn't grab me.
Not surprised at all

Colour, very festive. The red thingy is well captured and lovely red. I'd prefer if the other thingys weren't there so the red thingy was more isololated IYSWIM ;)[\quote]Cheers Andy :)

I see what your saying but I wanted to other colours and objects to help the DoF and also show it was a colour shot rather than SC :)

Annnnnnnd a festive CHEERS to you too mate :beer:

Hi Dean[\quote]Hey Lynne :)

Sleek...if you get bored on the meet can you make my car that clean please :love: Great colors , good DOF & like that it's only a small section of the car (y) [\quote]Well thanks.... and No Thanks :LOL:

Color...very festive , good separation through DOF...maybe a little brighter in the red ?
Reds.... grrrrrrrrr :help:

Wild.....hmmmmm , not sure but can see what you were aiming for
I don't :coat:

Sleek: Very clean, didn't we see that Citroen earlier in the year?
That you did mate, it was speed or movement or red or car or reflection or girly :geek:
Wild: not the most exciting shot I've ever seen... oh well! :D
My feelings exactly :D
Colour, this is FAB. Definite xmas card that one Dean :clap:
Cheers buddy :)

Oi !

Wakey f*ckin Wakey!

Where on earth are you Deano? :naughty:

Been manic lately mate, really struggling at work, been doing silly hours trying to keep things together, by the time I get home, clean up and eat I fall asleep :help:

But YAY !!! it's Christmas holiday now, I have another 2 days after today, and today and tomorrow no family stuff planned, just need it to stop raining now :)

Such abuse - shocking - probably an overdose of cheese whilst viewing cows from a hot air balloon.[\quote]:D

food - difficulties of b/g aside, a really good subject. I prefer #2 because the detail is better and it is seems more inviting to take a crisp.
Thanks Alan :)

Art - on theme and fr me #3 - again because of the pov and the very good detail in the wood and leads and the white bit between them.
Thanks again mate :)

Sleek - nice! Good impact with the black and red on the neutral ground. The rubbing strip on the door detracts but not sure what could be done about that without losing the comp.
I did try cloning it out, as it was still quite mucky... it didn't work :geek:

Colour - the bell rally stands out from the b/g cos of its colour and the focus. Good image which would be ideal on a card.
Thanks Alan :)

Hi Dean,[\quote]Hey Michael :)

colour, theat works very well, the red really stands out.
wild, certainly wild, as you say it fits the theme,
sleek, works well, a good impact delivered there.
art, The middle one for me, I like the last one too, but I would like more dof on the pink.
Thanks mate (y)

NOT the best of days to put aside to taking photo's to catch up - but hey ho... make do with what I am given...

Wk 47 - 'Friendship'

To be fair, neither of these shout the theme, but are loosely there if you ignore the poor light and shaky hands and squint a bit :D

Not sure if there is a better one of the two...

Week 47 - 'Friendship'
by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 47 - 'Friendship' 2
by TP DK, on Flickr

Back