weekly DK's 52 of 2015 - wk 52 'Christmas' added - FINISHED

Hi, 3 great shots but I think number 2 gets it for me, nice take on patterns, could almost be summer.

I really like the second one - something very pleasing about both the composition and the arrangement of the pebbles.

I like all three of these but it's # 1 for me, the sea foam line just creates that extra level of interest.

I really like the second one - something very pleasing about both the composition and the arrangement of the pebbles.
Cheers Phil :)

Great shots ! Really like the shallow effect in #2 but #1 looks so inviting. :)
All the best for 2015 (y)
Thanks Barney... you too :)

I like all three of these but it's # 1 for me, the sea foam line just creates that extra level of interest.[/QUOTEThanks Nick... That's what I thought too :)

I like all three of these, but there is a lovely warmth to number 2 and I think I'm a sucker for a shallow depth of field, so that's the one I'd pick to hang on my wall.

Good to see you back DK! Some great images to start with, but I think I have to go with #3 just for the sheer number of pebbles, shadows and variety of patterns (y) With 68 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck with the rest of the year.

Great start Dean (y) I prefer #3 as well. Have you tried a mono conversion with these? Not sure if it would be any better, but just wondered if you had tried...

I like all three of these, but there is a lovely warmth to number 2 and I think I'm a sucker for a shallow depth of field, so that's the one I'd pick to hang on my wall.
Thanks Nick, thanks a lot :)

Good to see you back DK! Some great images to start with, but I think I have to go with #3 just for the sheer number of pebbles, shadows and variety of patterns (y) With 68 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck with the rest of the year.
Thanks too Elaine :)

That appears to be the common sensuous at the moment, getting around a few at a time :)

Hi again DK

Life's a beach.
Ha Haaaa Cheers David :)

Hi Dean, #3 for me, but I can't quite explain why, it's just the one my eyes keep going to.
Thank you Lorraine, I know what you mean, sometimes it is hard to choose !!!

Great start Dean (y) I prefer #3 as well. Have you tried a mono conversion with these? Not sure if it would be any better, but just wondered if you had tried...
Hi Graham, thanks... and no not tried one, I may well do that on Sunday if my plans for tomorrow go ahead :)

Great start to this years 52 Dean (y)
What's not to like about pebbles and the beach? ;)

#1 would get my vote Dean, I like the contrast between the foam of the waves against the sand.
Might I suggest a crop? I think cropping from the right hand side to put the waves dissecting the top right hand corner would work, almost like having two triangles within the frame opposing one another.

Great start to this years 52 Dean (y)
What's not to like about pebbles and the beach? ;)
Haaa very true mate :D

#1 would get my vote Dean, I like the contrast between the foam of the waves against the sand.
Cheers Iain :)
Might I suggest a crop? I think cropping from the right hand side to put the waves dissecting the top right hand corner would work, almost like having two triangles within the frame opposing one another.
Ahhhhh good suggestion... may try that one later today too :)

Right onto week 1... I wanted an outdoor shot, so when the theme was announced yesterday that was what I was going to do... BUT it has barely stopped raining all day and is grey and overcast so I decided to do an indoor shot :(

Bliss... for me indoors there are two or three things that qualify for to me for being blissfull, a couple of them are not for the internet for sure !!! so this brings me onto a favorite of mine...

Home Cinema, there is few things better than getting home after a long week at work, feet up, drink and snacks and picking a great movie to get drawn into :)

For this shot I had problems getting the exposures right, I wanted to concentraite the focus on food and drink and have the movie as a back setting, to get good detail in the glass and not over expose the screen was a mare without combining two shots, which currently I have no idea how to do, so one shot it was...

This first edit I'm not sure if I have done it too dark, I had to take the shot with lights slightly on to the rear of the room as to not wash out the image on the screen, BUT I also wanted to keep the feel of deep darkness that our 'movie times' scream out for... I hope this is portrayed okay, there are a few items to the RH of the shot that I could have cloned out but the shot looked odd when I did, so I have toned them down a bit, giving the room some content rather than just blackness...

As always constructive crit and suggestions always appreciated - Thanks :)

Here we have - Wk 1 - movie time 'Bliss'

Wk 1 - Bliss by TP DK, on Flickr

Psssst, meant to ask last year, when you add the link to the Photos Only thread can you link it to the page with the relevant photograph on instead of your first page...time if of the essence :)

Anyways, popcorn and Star Wars...Guinness :puke:

Not an easy one to expose for. I'd like a little more light on the popcorn.

Cheers and may the popcorn be with you :whistle:

NB, just seen your hand, nice inclusion.

Cheers.

Psssst, meant to ask last year, when you add the link to the Photos Only thread can you link it to the page with the relevant photograph on instead of your first page...time if of the essence :)

Anyways, popcorn and Star Wars...Guinness :puke:

Not an easy one to expose for. I'd like a little more light on the popcorn.

Cheers and may the popcorn be with you :whistle:

NB, just seen your hand, nice inclusion.

Cheers.
Good point on the guinness... but if you look closely it's a pint of Vodka and Coke :D

I tried a crystal tumbler first but it looked boring... so grabbed the logo'd glass :)

I'll try to remember the link mate... I have a saved one on my chrome shortcuts I keep using, guess that's me being lazy :D

Last edited:
Good point on the guinness... but if you look closely it's a pint of Vodka and Coke :D
I tried a crystal tumbler first but it looked boring... so grabbed the logo'd glass :)
I'll try to remember the link mate... I have a saved one on my chrome shortcuts I keep using, guess that's me being lazy :D
May the force be with you, it doesn't get much better than that (y)

I'm not sure if you know this, but if you click the post number bottom right, it'll give you the url to copy
ie #55

Good idea for the theme, agree with it may work if popcorn was lighter - though I'm struggling to know which of my screens gives a true colour, so you can potentially ignore that! :)

Bliss - a nice idea for bliss, sounds just exactly what I like to do as well. The image to me seems just a smidgen on the dark side I myself would like just a little more light near the popcorn. Overall a well thought out idea and now you can relax and wait for week 2.

+1. a little lighter -- but not too much. Star Wars, a lovely bit of escapism.

Hi Dean,
Pattern - I like the diagonals on your first shot, #3 probably fits the theme best but my favourite is #2. I like the low angle and dof but would be interested to see it more panoramic!

Bliss - I think this will be a lot of peoples idea of bliss and would def go down well in this house. I would like to have seen a little more light on the popcorn but I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that without losing the brightness of the screen!

Yep can't beat a bit of home cinima with munchies and a drink. Its a little dark but then like you say if you have the lights off it is dark. Did you pause the film to get that exact image?

May the force be with you, it doesn't get much better than that (y)
Cheers Chris :)

I'm not sure if you know this, but if you click the post number bottom right, it'll give you the url to copy
ie #55
Thanks again , yep I use that in the OP link... god knows why I got into the habit of doing a link to OP :D :thiunking:

Good idea for the theme, agree with it may work if popcorn was lighter - though I'm struggling to know which of my screens gives a true colour, so you can potentially ignore that! :)
Thanks Auroae :)

Well... I did lighten it a bit afetr I selectively darkened the usual dark bits... may try a bit more if I get time tomorrow :)

Hi DK

#1 has a lot of class. Good diag and contrast between texture of water (foam), sand and smooth pebbles. very good shadows on the pebbles, which is less pronounced on 2 and 3. Good colours.
the sea also gives it a sense of place IYSWIM
Thanks Graham :) for visiting and commenting, really appreciated (y)

Great idea, think all man caves are bliss.

You had done great with difficult lighting.

Bliss - a nice idea for bliss, sounds just exactly what I like to do as well. The image to me seems just a smidgen on the dark side I myself would like just a little more light near the popcorn. Overall a well thought out idea and now you can relax and wait for week 2.

+1. a little lighter -- but not too much. Star Wars, a lovely bit of escapism.
Thanks Martin :)

yeah... I think it's a must going by the feedback so far :)

Hi Dean,
Pattern - I like the diagonals on your first shot, #3 probably fits the theme best but my favourite is #2. I like the low angle and dof but would be interested to see it more panoramic!
Thanks Sarah :)

Bliss - I think this will be a lot of peoples idea of bliss and would def go down well in this house. I would like to have seen a little more light on the popcorn but I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that without losing the brightness of the screen!
Many thanks again Sarah :)

NOTE : Tomorrow I will up the popcorn a tad... how about my hands, do they need lightening too ??

Yep can't beat a bit of home cinima with munchies and a drink. Its a little dark but then like you say if you have the lights off it is dark. Did you pause the film to get that exact image?
Cheers Mike... yep for me it is Bliss for sure :)

Luckily for the neighbours we are detached as it tends to be a tad loud too :D

In answer to your question, yes it was paused, and it is a projected image so the room does have to me very dark, as well as movies are just sooooooo much better in the darkI tried a few scenes from LOTR first but there wasn't enough colour... so switched to a scene that most people would know, the various exposures I tested ranged for .5" to 5" so freezing the blu-ray was a must :)

wooooo ,get you with a home cinema setup :jawdrop: How do we book tickets :D

I'm liking that Dean , just enough light on the popcorn,drink & the hands to mimic a real cinema, focus on the glass & popcorn looks spot on :clap:

wooooo ,get you with a home cinema setup :jawdrop: How do we book tickets :D
Ahhhhh well, generally by appointment and bearing snacks will get you on the VIP list :D

I'm liking that Dean , just enough light on the popcorn,drink & the hands to mimic a real cinema, focus on the glass & popcorn looks spot on :clap:
OOooo thanks Lynne, your monitor must be the same as mine loo :LOL:

Hi Dean - that works well for me. Perfectly on theme too... I love a good movie and you've chosen well, Master Knight.

I think the darkness of the scene works as a contrast to the bright(ish) screen. If you wanted a different image, one possibility would have been to get some diffuse but carefully constrained light from fairly high frame right on you and the armchair, drink, food etc. But it would have had to be very subtle and not spilled onto the wider scene. Probably would have needed a very large gridded softbox?

Good job as is!

Hi Dean - that works well for me. Perfectly on theme too... I love a good movie and you've chosen well, Master Knight.
Cheers Paul - What an excellent Quote :D

I think the darkness of the scene works as a contrast to the bright(ish) screen. If you wanted a different image, one possibility would have been to get some diffuse but carefully constrained light from fairly high frame right on you and the armchair, drink, food etc. But it would have had to be very subtle and not spilled onto the wider scene. Probably would have needed a very large gridded softbox?
Yeah that would be good, My softbox is Huge, I need to change it once I move as I will be moving my kit into a small spare room... it isn't gridded either, another thing on my wish list :)

Good job as is!
Thanks buddy :)

Good start :)
Thanks Mark :)

Right... A Few Edits as Suggested :)

PATTERNS - 3 edits here...

First as suggested by @blakester, a couple of crops with sea foam from corner to corner, I did one slightly wider than the other, not sure on the more squarer crop :thinking:

Wk 0 - Patterns - Corner to Corner Foam crop by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 0 - Patterns - Corner to Corner Foam crop 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

As suggested by @markelliot, @SarahLee & @blondie606 (I think that was it...) a wider crop more panoramic look with taking some off the bottom and some off the top, I actually prefer this crop now - So Thanks :)

Wk 0 - Patterns - Wider Crop by TP DK, on Flickr

BLISS - 1 edit here...

Thanks to suggestions by @Pinkbikerbabe, @posiview, @-aurorae-, @ShinySideUp and @SarahLee... Simple one to increase exposure on the popcorn and hand... I have upped it all slightly as on my lappy a lot of detail was missing, on both my hands, arm/cardigan and popcorn... so hoping this will be better ???

Wk 1 - Bliss 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Never thought of Guinness with pop corn!! wait, why there is light at bottom? ah I know, Jedi's Guinness :beer:
Cheers Robin :)

No Guinness involved... It was a pint of Vodka & Coke... just wanted a nice glass for the shot to have focus on :D

Last edited:
Back