Do You Agree With That The "Lords Prayer" Advertisment Won't Be Shown in Some Cinemas?

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
DCM have decided that they won't be showing the Lords Prayer ad in Odeon, Vue or Cineworld cinemas stating it had a policy of not accepting political or religious advertising content in its cinemas.
It said that "some advertisements - unintentionally or otherwise - could cause offence to those of differing political persuasions, as well as to those of differing faiths and indeed of no faith," and that "in this regard, DCM treats all political or religious beliefs equally".

I agree with decision because I don't want ANY religion preaching to me in the cinema, however I would imagine some people would take offense.

What do you think?

What Lords Prayer ad? As regards disliking it or being offended by it, why not just ignore it?

This is the policy of a private company and as long as it is not against the law(which this isn't) then IMO that is OK.

I'm an atheist but I would not object to seeing this advertisement (or one for any other religion) in a cinema, however the company have said they won't screen religious or political ads; that's fine by me.

Dave

However, as Wilde said, 'There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about'.

I agree it shouldn't be shown.
Nor should any religious content when it comes to entertainment (unless religion is the subject), sport, politics or mandatory education. JMO.

Taking it "ad absurdia", ALL religious things, from places of worship to public festivals could fall foul of this. I don't get offended by things like this though - life's too short. If someone starts getting preachy, I can keep blowing a raspberry for over a minute.

from places of worship to public festivals could fall foul of this.
I know, I heard they are even trying to bring religion in Christmas!
What's all that about Eh?

I know, I heard they are even trying to bring religion in Christmas!
What's all that about Eh?

Surely these days that's all about a fella in a red suit bearing gifts as opposed to anything religious ;)

Surely these days that's all about a fella in a red suit bearing gifts as opposed to anything religious ;)
Well I've seen Churches with boards outside saying join us for a midnight Christmas mass.
They certainly try to get involved with anything these days :(

What Lords Prayer ad? As regards disliking it or being offended by it, why not just ignore it?

It's a cinema ad. Not so easy to ignore something that fills most of your vision and features digital surround sound. And they still haven't invented a cinema where you can control what's on the screen.

The UK is a very secular society as well as being multi-faith so I understand their stance and as long as it is 'across the board' affecting all religions that's fine ... it's their business, their decision. However as a Christian I would say that the advert is totally meaningless anyway, it says nothing about the Lord's Prayer or give any insight into its meaning or why it should be of interest to us ... so whether it is shown or not shown, the result will be the same ... no spiritual benefit to anyone.

Noticed the story when flicking on to Sky News, then saw it on BBC.com.

I don't think it should be shown. I mean what's the point of it if not advertising/highlighting (or whatever you want to call it) religion. Not singling the church out, blanket rule is okay.

Well I've seen Churches with boards outside saying join us for a midnight Christmas mass.
They certainly try to get involved with anything these days :(

Well the do like stealing muscling in on traditional festivals.. ;)

Yeah I know, shouldn't be allowed should it ? :(

( and yep I got it ;) )

I don't think it should be shown. I mean what's the point of it if not advertising/highlighting (or whatever you want to call it) religion. Not singling the church out, blanket rule is okay.

They simply put them to better use.

It should be shown. It's an attack on free speech.

Nonsense.
There are plenty of places for people of religion to choose to exercise their right to their faith.
They're called churches / mosques / temples etc. They're not called cinemas.
As a non believer, I have the right to not be exposed to their proselytism.

Nonsense.
There are plenty of places for people of religion to choose to exercise their right to their faith.
They're called churches / mosques / temples etc. They're not called cinemas.
As a non believer, I have the right to not be exposed to their proselytism.

No you don't. That's the whole point of free speech. You simply can not expect to be never exposed to opinions you don't like.

Reactions: RIR
No you don't. That's the whole point of free speech. You simply can not expect to be never exposed to opinions you don't like.

No, free speech gives somebody the right to express their opinions , it doesn't give them the right to shovel it down peoples throats

So the rights of the religious supersede mine?

They are not being prevented from expressing their views. A private business has elected not to accept their advert. This is not a free speech issue.

If I was vegetarian, could I campaign for advertisements featuring meat products to be censored?

They are not being prevented from expressing their views. A private business has elected not to accept their advert. This is not a free speech issue.

It is a free speech problem, because they are censoring what can be expressed.

Reactions: RIR
It is a free speech problem, because they are censoring what can be expressed.
Are DCM preventing the CoE from sharing their views? No, the CoE are sharing those views right now on their own website.

DCM have clear rules as to the types of advert they choose not to accept - http://www.dcm.co.uk/uploads/docume...Cinema_Media_Limited_s_Advertising_Policy.pdf

It's a storm in a communion chalice, the CoE desperately want to appear relevant in the run-up to their big day.

no they are equal

No they're not.
There are specific venues where those who wish to be exposed to such things can go.
No one is robbing them of that opportunity.

, the CoE desperately want to appear relevant in the run-up to their big day.

A relevance that church attendances, which are declining year on year, is clearly shown to be on the wane.

No they're not.
There are specific venues where those who wish to be exposed to such things can go.
No one is robbing them of that opportunity.

They reaching out to those who don't normally go to church.

A relevance that church attendances, which are declining year on year, is clearly shown to be on the wane.
Perhaps related to their dated views and attitudes to the role of women, same-sex relationships and historic child abuse. Sure, they can point to Rome and say "That lot are worse" but it's not much of a defence.

I'm amazed they emerged from the sixteenth century long enough to set-up the new website...

Back