DS Colour Labs - Shocking Customer Service!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would the price I charge a customer make any difference, at all, to the service I got from a supplier? No correlation at all, whatsoever!

Like I said, I can't comment on how, pretty sure I was clear about that?

You can't really comment anyway - both offered a service at a price that was acceptable, both should deliver that service. Whether there's a 1% margin or 90% margin on the original cost of the print isn't relevant.

Then please explain how knowing the prices I paid, and charged, would make any difference to the service I got from DSCL, please do because, like @dcash29, i'm absolutely baffled (unless you're just being nosey, of course).

Don't need to get personal by calling me nosey :oops: :$ which is ironic with several others now making assumptions and trying to persuade me to comment when Ive quite clearly said I now cannot without the information. I don't know why people cannot respect that when I've respected that you won't divulge what I asked (once) for?

At a tangent on quality of products and back up service.

Moo
I bought A6 flyers from them and they arrived in a prompt & timely manner. As is my way I did a random QC check (I worked over 25 years in print related trade and still have my old linen loupe) and spotted a problem......so checked everyone of the 750 off. As I recall, it was approx 18% with the print defects.

I made contact and provided photo evidence of the issue. They immediately offered either an FoC reprint or a full refund including the postage. In neither case did they want the ones I had received back. I opted for the full refund.

Trade Canvas prints
I have used them a few times for prints not canvases and have been very pleased with their total service.
On one order I spotted a minor but to me noticeable print issue. Again comms and photo evidence of the issue. Their (IMO expected good service response) was we will reprint FoC and get them sent asap, which they did and as they requested of me to send the problem prints back for their investigation. All of the above without any costs incurred on me.
NB IMO Trade Canvas do have a good QC but the issue I spotted was one that could be missed in anything but a very critical examination.....yes, I am very critical as I said coming from an akin background ;) Frankly if I see any print defects from any print supplier I would expect it to be sorted out to my satisfaction......however much it cost me.

Like a salesman is only as good as his last order, a supplier of goods is only as good their customer support responses.

Last edited:
I have ordered a lot from them over the last 10 years or so - less so of late as selling more electronic images. Service has always been good - quick turnaround and good quality. Are they the best, no, but fine for what I have needed. It is unrealistic to expect top quality at a lowish price. When i have had an issue it has been sorted out quickly and promptly.

Nobody is suggesting you receive a more expensive print than you pay for. The issue is that it must meet the specification, therefore price is irrelevant.
S*** happens in all firms regardless of cost. Generally its caused by staff shortages and lack of care taken. Unrealistic timescales or poor management.

I have ordered a lot from them over the last 10 years or so - less so of late as selling more electronic images. Service has always been good - quick turnaround and good quality. Are they the best, no, but fine for what I have needed. It is unrealistic to expect top quality at a lowish price. When i have had an issue it has been sorted out quickly and promptly.

It is realistic to expect an item that is fit for purpose, first time round though! The print had very obvious banding across one area of it, along with a coloured print line that stuck out like a sore thumb - it obviously hadn't been QC'd very well (or even at all, actually, are my thoughts).

The replacement is actually very good, and up to the standard that I've had from them previously, but the damage is already done in terms of the way they dealt with this so my money will be spent elsewhere in the future.

Exactly yes
I’m not a pro do photography for fun so DSCL are perfect for me
DSCL are a good cheap service I’ve used them for years
Because they are cheap I can experiment and get quite a few prints done
If I remember 18 by 12 prints are £1.10 each I’ve had some hanging on our wall for years with no fading or anything

Last edited:
Exactly yes
I’m not a pro do photography for fun so DSCL are perfect for me
DSCL are a good cheap service I’ve used them for years
Because they are cheap I can experiment and get quite a few prints done
If I remember 18 by 12 prints are £1.10 each I’ve had some hanging on our wall for years with no fading or anything

Which is all brilliant, and fine, until you don't get what you paid for (and up until this happened I was also quite happy with what they've provided), Then, the test of a company is how they deal with the resulting 'customer service', which in this instance was terrible, in my opinion.

It is realistic to expect an item that is fit for purpose, first time round though! The print had very obvious banding across one area of it, along with a coloured print line that stuck out like a sore thumb - it obviously hadn't been QC'd very well (or even at all, actually, are my thoughts).

The replacement is actually very good, and up to the standard that I've had from them previously, but the damage is already done in terms of the way they dealt with this so my money will be spent elsewhere in the future.

Wow, so you have never made a mistake in your life?

I dont know what sort of volume goes through DSCL but the odd mistake is bound to happen. Most will be caught at QC but some will slip through. No-one is perfect. They rectified the problem and sent you a new print.

When I quote timeframes to a customer, I always allow for things like this to happen, or like delays in the post. I would also go back to customer and say it was damaged in transit so the print would be a few days late if it did overrun.

I would hardly call the customer service terrible.

Which is all brilliant, and fine, until you don't get what you paid for (and up until this happened I was also quite happy with what they've provided), Then, the test of a company is how they deal with the resulting 'customer service', which in this instance was terrible, in my opinion.
To be honest I agree with Simon in the post below
You told them of the issue and they offered to send a new print , I don’t see what else they would be expected to do as a company that aims its business at non pros like myself
If you need a higher level of service you should be using one of the pro labs , in my opinion anyway

I’ve just read through this.
IMO you spat your dummy out because they did not initially agree to next day special delivery.
You made a fuss and they agreed.
This is not “terrible” customer service.
You got what you wanted yet you have posted this silly thread?

Glad i'm not the only one that feels this way, I was beginning to think the average UK consumer had gone mad for a minute (perhaps they have?), thanks for restoring my faith :giggle:
You're welcome lol

@FlyPhot i'm glad you got things resolved eventually, and I think that there's no real reason to let this circular discussion continue further

mind the doors folks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back