Is A J Purdy in trouble?

She's not been the same since The New Avengers ended :naughty:

42c3_1.JPG

:LOL:

I have ordered from them a D300 on the 5th of November, site didn't mentioned anything about stock. Recieved a confirmation mail, so i expected to get the camera pretty soon. After 1hr i received a call from them, saying that the camera was out of stock and that they were expecting delivery for the end of the later week (13th or 15th). I was asked if i wanted to go through with the purchase and i said, ok. Waited the week, no news from them. Called on Fri and was told that delivery hadn't arrived as planned, so next date i was given was for the middle of the following week (19th-20th). Didn't panic too muck cos as of today, money haven't been taken from my account. Then noticed that discounts on stock started getting bigger (from 3% to 15%) so kind of got me a bit puzzled (and i'm none the wiser about businnes...in fact i can't even spell it:)so called them on 25th morning. I expressed my concern, also said i may want to cancel the order, i was honestly told by the guy on the phone that they didn't know when the stock for D300 would arrive due to Nikon not telling them when they'd be able to provide them. I decided to still go ahead, i decided to trust, hope have not been naive and hope they will not get the money out of the account until the item arrive (have paid with debit card, do not have a cc...). So now reading this thread it seems they may have problems. I was thinking to call other supplier and see if they have problem in getting stock from Nikon, to see if AJP are genuine about their claim. What do you think?
P.S sorry for long explanation!

£2500 saving on a 400 2.8 and a 200-400 F4 is mighty tempting...............:LOL:

AAaaah, did you have to show me the numbers? :puke:

This is truely causing me a bother, a big bother if I may add.

Have you seen the A J Purdy web site recently?

CLEARANCE SALE NOW ON - 25% OFF EVERYTHING IN STOCK
EXCLUDING DIGITAL SLR & FREE UK DELIVERY!

I tried to take advantage of this today. But ...
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM ... out of stock
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L II USM ... out of stock
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM ... out of stock
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM ... out of stock
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM ... out of stock
Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1x-5x macro ... out of stock
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2 L II USM ... out of stock
Nikon AF-S DX 10.5mm f/2.8 G fisheye ... out of stock
Nikon AF 50mm f/1.4 D ... out of stock

Hmmm. Anybody know what's going on?

Can I ask you, how did you find out what was out of stock?

Can I ask you, how did you find out what was out of stock?
Easy. I tried to buy all that lot.

I did manage to buy two somewhat more obscure lenses. But my reason for surprise (and starting this thread) was the fact that I tried to buy a whole bunch of popular mainstream lenses and they were all out of stock.

Email no. 1 from AJP:
Unfortunately the other goods you have ordered are out of stock and no delivery dates at this time, so we have automatically cancelled these off your order.
My reply:
There's no need to cancel the remainder of the order. I'm quite happy to wait until you get fresh stocks.
Email no. 2 from AJP:
The offer only applies for the goods in stock. So the balance of the order has been cancelled.
I think the big sign on the web site about the sale being for in stock site only appeared after I placed my order. But I didn't take a screen shot so I can't prove it.

I would be very interested indeed to know whether anybody manages to buy anything from them. As I said, I did get two lenses which were in stock, but I'd be willing to bet that they don't have any mainstream or popular lenses in stock.

And remember, the sale isn't just on lenses. It's on absolutely everything other than DSLRs.

So, back to the original question: what's happening? It can't be anything to do wth the impending VAT change or suppliers price changes, as someone suggested - that just doesn't make sense. It seems highly unlikely that it's related to a premises move - lenses aren't big and the cost of relocating them is nothing compared to these discounts.

SUGGESTION

Let's not have any more of these "ooh, I'm tempted" posts. Just buy it. All the evidence suggests that it won't be in stock. And if the item really is in stock you can then sell it for a profit. Heck, you could probably sell it to me.

Stewart,

Thank you for the feedback.

It does seem from your experience, that this is all very genuine as far as an offer goes. I guess it's now time to put this to the credit card test :).

Just rang them and ask about the Sony 70-200 and Tamron 17-50 and neither were in stock. Someone at work is going to ring about a Canon fit Tokina, I will let you know how he gets on.

I called them, hoping to confirm a few items in stock before I click "buy", and spoke to a gentleman who told me that all the lenses I wanted were out of stock and that they are discounting everything to clear out their current stock as they have a lot more items coming in :shrug:.

Apparently, as I've been told, this discount has been going on since before this past weekend :(.

So are they letting people pay for all these out of stock orders

So are they letting people pay for all these out of stock orders

Judging by StewartR's response from them, they are cancelling out of stock orders....

To me, it looks like its just a big marketing ploy - they have a bunch of stuff which they want rid of so they'll whack 25% off everything and hope that most of the obscure stuff will sell out...

Holding stock costs companies money, so holding stock that is unlikely to sell is a big no no....

I've just added a Nikon 50mm f1.8 to the basket.... then tried to add it again and a load of the lenses have disappeared ???? Only get a couple of VR lenses and some extension tubes ??

Is £111 a good price for an SB-600 flashgun ?

Last edited:
I just rang them, they have NO F/2.8 lenses in nikon or canon fit
I doubt they have anything worth having at 25% off it's just the crap they want rid of

No because you don't know how many items were sold before or after what you said. TP is not the whole of the UK's photography consumers ;)

I think it's perfectly reasonable to presume it was a marketing ploy mixed with a genuine offer to clear some existing stock ... which I am sure they are doing quite nicely. So it worked for them, and the lucky ones who bought without hesitation when stuff was still in stock :p

Just splashed the cash on a sigma 30mm. Got the generic thanks for order email, we'll see what comes of it over the next couple of days

Just called them on a Canon 70-200 F4 IS and a Canon 430EX II, neither are in stock.

I think people hit the nail on the head, good marketing ploy to clear out alot of crap. As for the company being in trouble I doubt it as they have included everything even the DSLR bodies.

Anyway it worked, as it has created quite a stir on this forum.

Good luck to anyone to gets anything.

Just rang them and ask about the Sony 70-200 and Tamron 17-50 and neither were in stock. Someone at work is going to ring about a Canon fit Tokina, I will let you know how he gets on.

Yep, chap at work ordered his Tokina OK online, then rang them to confirm and it was out of stock.
I asked them if they could confirm which Sony fit lenses they did have and they said they could only tell me as I gave them specific lens details

Well, I must be the lucky one. OK, I wasn't looking to spend more than £250, but my Sigma lens ordered, by phone, yesterday afternoon was delivered free this morning, with the 25% reduction.

I can only speak for myself, but A J Purdy have given me excellent service.

They have been discounting stock for at least a month (although not at 25%), I was checking their site every day when I was looking for secondhand lenses!!
A lot of places clear stock before they move to save the checking, counting and putting it on a (usually) new computer system. Its a lot easier to sell off the old stuff at a discount and start afresh with the new store.

I've had a phone call after about 2 hours saying I entered my Credit Card number wrong (17 digits instead of 16). Corrected the mistake over the phone and now waiting to here from them again.

There is a lot of gear they have not got, I have tried a few items and been informed no longer in stock, they have a "few" items on their ebay site at bargain prices.

Just off the phone with Purdys, so here is an update.....

Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 No Stock
Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 No stock
Nikon 300mm f/4 No Stock
Canon 17-55 f/2.8 No stock

None of those are really all that surprising, the 300mm f/4 isn't in stock anywhere which is why I took a punt at ordering one :naughty:

The girl said that they were working their way through all the orders (they hadn't got to mine when I phoned) and contacting people to advise them that the stuff was "out of stock".

I also enquired as to whether payment had been taken from my card and was advised that it hadn't, but I'll be keeping a watch on my account anyway......

Ive used them on a few occasions and always happy.

I do have to say though after reading this and looking on their site, there is not much showing in lenses now, i feel they maybe trying to sell off quick before they go under.

They're not selling off DSLR's and they've just moved into a new, bigger premises so they can't be too strapped for cash

I know theyve just moved, i will be shocked if they go down and hope they dont.

Maybe in the current economic climate they shouldnt have moved, maybe its cost them dearly.

Maybe they havnt offered it on DSLR because they havnt got any.

Maybe they havnt offered it on DSLR because they havnt got any.

Obvious comment about them not offering on lenses as they don't appear to have many of those either :LOL:

Still, I think my order is fine as the lady on the phone would probably have said straight away if they were out. No point getting the correct details if they still can't sell me the lens

I could see them having a Sigma 30mm in stock, even jessops had those when I got mine ;)

It'll be interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks regarding the company. New premises (which were probably arranged long before the current financial crisis) or not, I'm wondering if they'll still be on the go......

I expect Purdys marketing team/man is getting his pat on the back and looking forward to his Xmas bonus now, and so he should :clap:

I expect Purdys marketing team/man is getting his pat on the back and looking forward to his Xmas bonus now, and so he should :clap:

If I was dishing out the plaudits and my marketing team had wasted the time of the rest of my staff by causing them to have to process orders that couldn't be fullfilled then they'd be getting their jotters (P45), not a pat on the back....

If I was dishing out the plaudits and my marketing team had wasted the time of the rest of my staff by causing them to have to process orders that couldn't be fullfilled then they'd be getting their jotters (P45), not a pat on the back....

LOL, but i'm sure it was more than made up for with the orders they have fullfilled.;)

No...but you knew that was going to be the case anyway...stop gloating :LOL:

Not gloating honest.. but I find it fascinating how people can lose all reason when an improbable bargain is dangled.

I guess this is why people go to time share meetings on the promise of a "free holiday" or send £10 to claim a lottery prize they never entered!!

Not gloating honest.. but I find it fascinating how people can lose all reason when an improbable bargain is dangled.

I guess this is why people go to time share meetings on the promise of a "free holiday" or send £10 to claim a lottery prize they never entered!!

It's not really the same thing,if it had been some unheard of company, with a brand new website, then yes, but Purdys are a well-known, company.

Mind you, so are Woolworths :shrug:

Back