It took a year in the making

No words can explain how amazingly impressive this is,
Very well done and most of all,
Thank you so much for sharing,
Best wishes
Cliff

Another stunning set of images John (y)

I much prefer the one with the moon as a background BTW.
Any chance of a linky to the full size one if you have it hosted?

Wow! Amazing. I admire your dedication and patience to get this. Plus each and every one is spot on. Outstanding work, well done. (y) :notworthy:

Another wow! I'm glad I popped on for a peek tonight otherwise I might have missed this. I too prefer the one with the moon bg, although the black bg is very striking too.
I wish I had so much dedication.

Thanks very much everyone...

Chris, that's hard... I've not got anywhere that can host it full size (even in jpg...)

Thanks very much everyone...

Chris, that's hard... I've not got anywhere that can host it full size (even in jpg...)

Ok mate no worries, I was just being nosy :D

Holy poo! SO impressive!

That is flippin' good! I take my hat off to you.

Thanks all. Never even considered it as an educational thingy... hmm... that would be worth using one of the NASA images for the earth I guess... will have to look into that.

Amazing well, done!

Would love a bit more info on this like in total how many images did you take, how many hours, where did you take the shots, etc

27 images in total, each one is a single exposure between about 1/10 and 1/100 second. All the shots were taken from either my front or back garden. I used a 600mm telescope with a Kenko 2x MC7 TC, about 35mm of cheap macro tubes between the TC and my 450d to increase the magnification, no filters. Probably no more than 30 to 60 minutes in total capture time, which allows for connecting it all together, carrying it out, focusing (manual rack and pinion, turn a wheel and move the camera back or forward), and about 7 or 8 hours processing, including the 20 minutes to save/load the image file each time.

That sounds easy... but nailing focus is actually far harder than you'd think.

For detail, the telescope is an 80mm aperture, ED air spaced doublet (2 glass elements in a single group), 600mm focal length. This is running at about 1500mm, I'm not sure how much magnification the tubes gave me, but it's about that much.

Hi John,

Wow, just wanted to say that is one amazing image :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

I enjoy astronomy too, the moon being one of my favourite AP targets and I know from experience how difficult it is to get an image like this. It is a huge undertaking and a real acomplishment. There aren't many people, in the world ,who have taken an image like this. Very, very well done indeed.

All the best

Carol

In one word.... Outstanding.

Thanks all

Back