Critique required Kell's 52 in 22 - week 52. Showcase

Week 43 - Vehicle.

This is me. Dedication to the cause. Drove all the way down to the Stelvio Pass for this...

TP52 - Week 42: Vehicle 01 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

You might not believe this, but that's not real!! As I had used someone else's photo for the backdrop, I decided to redo this with one of my own shots as a background.

TP52 - Week 42: Vehicle 03 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

TP52 - Week 42: Vehicle 04 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr
Quite liked the others above, but there's absolutely no deception - it's clearly obvious that's a model car.

So then I tried a different tack, used very limited DOF and added some radial blur to the wheels. Still not convincing, but I quite liked the effect.

TP52 - Week 42: Vehicle 02 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice model car pix :)

well your work paid off and you've got a very good image for the theme.

Precision: Just goes to show that the expensive kit doesn't necessarily make a better image. Really great shot.
Vehicle: Yuu obviously enjoyed playing around on this one and some good shots. I'm with you on the chosen on.

Really like this Kell, I think it's very well done. Makes me think of landscapes using the Orton Effect. :clap:

Really like this Kell, I think it's very well done. Makes me think of landscapes using the Orton Effect. :clap:

I'm sure you keep doing this to me.. mention an effect then I have to show my ignorance and go look it up. ;)

Last edited:
Week 44 - AUTUMN + LEADING LINES tech

Light was quite nice this morning so I went out for a little stroll through the woodland near our house before work.

Liked this one because this one leaf just shone out against all the green around it.

Autumn 02 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Autumn 03 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Autumn 04 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Autumn 05 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

I almost went with this one. There was just something about it that spoke to me.

Autumn 06 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

But I liked this one as it also has the leading lines for the TECH.

I particularly liked the half and half of the horizon line. All reddy/orange below it and all green above.

Autumn 01 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Fab set :)

A set of well taken shots.
I rally like the first one but I agree the temptation of leading lines is too strong to ignore.

Week 45 Snapper's Choice.

Weirdly, I always find Snapper's Choice the hardest. I always prefer to have a theme in mind mulling over in the back of my brain somewhere.

However, when I saw these raindrops on a spider's web yesterday I thought that they'd work nicely.

As part of THIS project, I thought I'd only take them on my little 20 year-old PAS.

TP52 - WK45: Snapper's Choice 03 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

TP52 - WK45: Snapper's Choice 02 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

I thought I'd like the colour one, but for me, it was slightly less successful.

TP52 - WK45: Snapper's Choice 01 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like the colour and the mono versions, pro's and con's to both, in the end it's a personal preference both for yourself and the viewer

Nicely shot Kell. I’m torn between the colour and mono versions, leaning towards the colour I think.

Thanks all.

I wanted to like the colour version more. I sometimes think that it’s a cop out to just make everything b&w.

On the plus side, the colour warm has lovely warm tones that are more indicative of the light on the day. That weak early morning autumnal sun. But because it’s a small sensor there was quite a lot to correct. Chromatic aberrations mostly.

But the B&W just looked punchier and crisper. To me anyway.

Some stunning autumnal shots you captured but your chosen one defiinitely stands out.
Love the spiders web - works really well in mono and the droplets are jewel like. Cracking image.

Very nice images Kell. I would have been very hard pressed to chose between #1 and #2. I do prefer the b&w shots.

Very nice images Kell. I would have been very hard pressed to chose between #1 and #2. I do prefer the b&w shots.
Some stunning autumnal shots you captured but your chosen one defiinitely stands out.
Love the spiders web - works really well in mono and the droplets are jewel like. Cracking image.
Nice picture, you've picked the right one, I think b&w really suits the picture.

Thanks all.

It was a bit hit and miss with the web ones. That old camera only has a 1.5" screen so it's literally impossible to tell whether or not you've hit focus. I think I got lucky as I had several where it missed completely.

Week 46 - DESTRUCTION

Bit of grim opener this week:

Spotted this poor chap in the process of DESTRUCTION by these flies. Bit of stretch perhaps? More DECOMPOSITION than destruction.

But then I remembered that part of the HS2 line works are right by our office, and that's definitely needless DESTRUCTION of large swathes of countryside for no good reason.

DESTRUCTION HS2.01 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

DESTRUCTION HS2.02 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

Last edited:
The squirrel one is Natural recycling at its best while the HS2 ones are unnatural and pointless expensive destruction at its worst - or at least hint at what's behind the barriers.

HS2 is a good call, I like that interpretation a lot. I like how the photograph itself doesn't tell you much. The fence, the barrier hides any detail, both physically and metaphorically.

Had me scratching my head until I googled " what is the HS2 line" and did a little reading.

The squirrel one is Natural recycling at its best while the HS2 ones are unnatural and pointless expensive destruction at its worst - or at least hint at what's behind the barriers.

HS2 is a good call, I like that interpretation a lot. I like how the photograph itself doesn't tell you much. The fence, the barrier hides any detail, both physically and metaphorically.

HS2 shot works for me, destruction by construction.

Your chosen shot is perfect for the theme. Completely agree with Nick's summary @NickD

Poor squirrel but that is nature for you.

Thanks all, I'm not sure I thought too much about the the fence hiding the works going on behind in terms of a message in the shot, but I did think that just seeing the HS2 name was probably enough.

There's a house my train goes past on the way to work which, over the years, I've thought 'That would be lovely'. Completely detached, paddock, stables. Just about far enough from the main train line so as not to be a complete nuisance.

And then the HS2 works started almost right next to it. it's between stations, so hard to get a pic of, but they must be gutted.

Had me scratching my head until I googled " what is the HS2 line" and did a little reading.

Sometimes I do make assumptions about things like that. I know it was big news some time go, before it got signed off. But I guess if it doesn't affect you. or you don't see it, sometimes these things can slip from front of mind pretty quickly.

And then the HS2 works started almost right next to it. it's between stations, so hard to get a pic of, but they must be gutted.
Yes, it must be utterly gutting for them :( It is very sad how much of the countryside is being decimated and ancient forests lost forever.

Yep - all those work, even the squeamish ones (!), but HS2 just about sums it all up... (y)

Agreed on the HS2 destructiveness and well represented by your shot.

Back