My 52 photos 2011 - week 6 "clutter" added (phew!)

Name
Sarah
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello and welcome to my 52! I'm going to try and stick to it this year better than I did last year (when I stopped midway through the year!) but as I've said elsewhere this is going to be a very tough year for me emotionally as my partner will be going through chemotherapy and bone marrow transplant - so I may miss some weeks while I look after him! Although, I hope not!

Anyway week 1 accomodation. I planned to get a photo of a tortoise for this - carrying it's own accomodation with it wherever it goes - but these didnt come out properly :( so I've used a bit of a crowbar and used this Lizard in it's zoo 'accomodation'

1accomodation.jpg

I hope to revisit this one later in the year and get the actual shot I wanted!

Last edited:
No it wasnt through glass - and autofocussed am afraid I've still not got the hang of manual focussing!

I agree it has a weird 'cast' but cant seem to get rid of it!

so onto week 2 - New

I searched my brain and the only thing I could think of was 'new pennies' nice and shiny so here's this weeks

2New.jpg

Things I've learnt this week:

When your off camera flash doesnt want to work - it's not cos it hates you but cos the batteries are dead! And when you buy and stock pile batteries for the flash - remember where you put them!

On a serious note - I learnt a lot about focussing using a close up filter, and a new technique for setting up photos (I put the pennies on a plastic sleeve from a christmas set of smellies, with old pennies inside the sleeve and put the whole thing on a black velvet bag.

Sometimes a desk lamp angled in the right way and turned on can work as well as an off camera flash for lighting.

Now thats a good idea for this "new" theme. I think you've put that shot together very well too. The penny's in the background add nicely to the composition, well done (y)

Hi Sarah, this is a wonderful shot. I liked it the moment I saw it and it's one of my favourites from week 2. I thought of doing "new pennies", but couldn't think how to make it interesting, which you have done wonderfully.

It is stunning what can be done with simple props and a bit of lateral thinking.

The lighting is perfect for my eye. If I'm being picky I'd like the whole of both pennies to be in focus.

Like how the pennies appear to be floating. Nice composition and take on the theme. Am I being picky or are the outer halfs of each penny just ever so slightly out of focus?

Thanks for the lovely comments - yes the outer edges are slightly OOF - I took so many shots and couldnt get the whole things in focus no matter what I did - I think it's from having a 10x close up filter on!

Really like the coins and a great take on the theme, lighting and composition is spot on for me, nice capture (y)

OK so week 3 - I had trouble with this ALL week trying to think of a good picture. Eventually at my wits end I went online last night and looked up the definition of Style - I found this 11. The gnomon of a sundial. (or the sticky up bit lol) I knew of a sundial in Bury St Edmund gardens - and went along equipped with flash today to get the shot I was planning. I was all set up and ready to go when my flash fell of the tripod - and broke :( so I had to rely on the on camera flash. Also - I couldnt get the shot I wanted with the cathedral in the background as the Gnomon was pointing in the wrong direction for it to work :( So - I went for a shot with a dark background.

When I got home I had a play around in photoshop and now I can't decide which version I prefer - so am putting both up for now. The Straight photo of a 'style' or the Style in the style of a sketch? Can you help me decide?!

3stylea.jpg

3styleb.jpg

Things I've learnt this week:

What the sticky up bit on a sundial is called. Flashe's dont bounce!
When stuck on a theme looking up the word online can create some fresh ideas.

I need to carry a pack of tissues in my camera bag over winter as when I got to the style half of it was under water and the rest was dry - not condusive of a good photo - luckily I had some tissues in my bag!

On a more 'practical' level - how to alter the strength of the on camera flash and the effect it has.

Im not sure which one I prefer to be honest. I like them both! I think if the background was all black, and not shadowed then that would be better.

The textures are brilliant, and I think the mono brings out this texture more!

Seems like you have learned quite a bit on this shoot! Good stuff! Well done.

have had a go at filling the background in a bit more on the 'sketch' how's this?

3stylec.jpg

yes I like it much more - and think that'll be the shot for this week :)

Thanks for your advice!

Thanks for your constructive comment on my sundial. I was undecided when I re-shot whether to get the whole dial or just the gnomon. On reflection I think yours has the right content.
I prefer your sketch version too. Great submission for Style.

I was fortunate in that I didnt have to go far as i happened to have a sundial in the garden

Thanks or the comment Mart - wish we had a sundial in the garden - they've always fascinated me!!!

Thanks also Kennysarmy - i hear what you're saying about the colour version - but personally prefer the "in the STYLE of a sketch" version :)

Week 4 - Open

I decided to go for a picture of the Sea - Life on the Open waves and all that - however the picture I initially planned didnt work (really need to get me an ND filter!) so I thought about it - and decided to go for a less obvious sea picture - this is a shot of Felixstowe docks. The Lens I took it with is quite noisy - so I worked with the noise and tried to give the picture an 'old' feel. I'm quite pleased with this shot - especially as it wasn't the 'planned' shot!

4open.jpg

Last edited:
Great shot Sarah (y) like the processing as well ..nice image like the composition well done ;)

Thanks for the positive comments!!!

People are allowed to offer constructive criticism so I can learn how to improve btw!!!! :)

OK so onto week 5 - Hard! Sorry I didnt get this posted earlier - I had all the props but then I came down with a cold and didnt feel up to doing photos! Still it's better to be a day late than not get it in.

Anyway enough ramble, here is my week 5 photo. I'd have preferred to use a proper ashtray - but despite the fact my fiance and I are both smokers - we dont actually own one!!!! (we smoke outside and it all goes into a big plastic tray).

Giving up smoking is hard - I've done it twice before (not successfully obviously - though once was for 12 months - argh!) and know that soon I'll have to do it again.

5hard.jpg

I'm fairly pleased with this photo overall - however I would have liked to get the cigarette smoke showing up - I took it on a long exposure as I thought that'd show it up best - should I have taken on short exposure / different lighting or what to get the smoke?

I like it. Great composition and well shot. I think I like it cos I can really relate to it as I am on a non smoking relapse at the mo. The slippery slope.

Week 5 and 4 the my faves of your 52 so far. Love the concept of the shot on week 5 and the processing you've done with your week 4 shot is really good.

Looking forward to more of your 52 project.

Thanks for the comments :) feel for you with your stop smoking relapse Mart! I started again at beginning of December after having previously quite for a year - started again and then quit for about 6 months!!!

Not pleased with myself but have enough going on right now to worry too much about it! Will quit again when I'm ready :)

Thanks Snorton - I wasnt pleased with processing on week 4 at first - but the more I look at it the better I find it! :)

The smoke should show up using a faster shutter speed and flashgun. Possibly lit from the right. Nice concept though.

i think (and not something you're going to want to hear) I was one of the lucky ones...smoked for 20 years until my wife got pregnant and when the smoking ban came in is the last time I had a cig. Only time I really struggled is when I had a drink. Stick at it......

...as for the pic...great idea and concept, shame the smoke didn't show and looks like you've suffered a bit of camera shake as it isn't quite as sharp as it could be. Well done though (y)

Great pic... shows a hard struggle... keep up the good work and good luck quiting!

A photo with a story behind it, and a mission! Done well with keeping the background consistantly dark and realistic. I think showing the smoke would make the shot stronger, and I think the cigarrete is slightly out of focus? Try increasing your f-stop for this?

Other than that great take on the theme, well thought out, framed and presented! Cooool!

Hi Sarah, a cracking image for the "hard" theme, the layout is effective as is the focus. I like the fact the cigarette is out of focus, as you are looking to achieve your goal of quitting.

OK so onto week 5 - Hard! Sorry I didnt get this posted earlier - I had all the props but then I came down with a cold and didnt feel up to doing photos! Still it's better to be a day late than not get it in.

Anyway enough ramble, here is my week 5 photo. I'd have preferred to use a proper ashtray - but despite the fact my fiance and I are both smokers - we dont actually own one!!!! (we smoke outside and it all goes into a big plastic tray).

Giving up smoking is hard - I've done it twice before (not successfully obviously - though once was for 12 months - argh!) and know that soon I'll have to do it again.

5hard.jpg

I'm fairly pleased with this photo overall - however I would have liked to get the cigarette smoke showing up - I took it on a long exposure as I thought that'd show it up best - should I have taken on short exposure / different lighting or what to get the smoke?

I love a shot with a story and this has been captured well, really well framed, well lit and thought out (y)

Thanks for all the comments :) I know it's a shame the smoke didnt show up - I might have to have another go! And on second looks you're right the cigarette is out of focus! Will address that if I redo it! I can't have had camera shake as it was on timer on a tripod - will try playing with the aperture.

Week 6 - Clutter - oh how I struggled with this one! We have plenty of clutter in the house - but how to make it photo worthy??? In the end I decided on this shot at the last minute - and am not happy with it - I think having the left hand side more in focus would have improved it a bit - but am pleased I've got SOMETHING for the theme amongst a really stressful week (got a really poorly rat been having to syringe feed him every hour today - but been poorly and needed looking after most of the week) and with a theme I detested!

6clutter.jpg

It's a 'mare when the deadline approaches, isn't it.

For me, it's not cluttered enough, but glad you have TP open.

I wonder, as a aspiring amateur, what a polarising filter would have done?

I also can'd decide if I'd have liked a closer crop to get rid of any black...

Cheers.

Sarah!

Not another computer screen shot!!!!! Argh!!!

Been too many of them on here! That said sounds like you've had a hectic and hard week so great effort in at least keeping up the 52!

Looking forward to seeing you back on top with this weeks image!

Mark

yeah - was definitely not my best week (but thanks for the comments)- but hey ho I got something up - and then slipped behind this week when I DID have an idea - typical!!!! I just didn't have the time! Will get it taken tomorrow though

Hiya Sarah,

Apologies I have not seen your thread before now, so I'm doing a quick catch up:

Week 1: I like your take on the theme, although lizards don't really appeal to me, and I'm not sure about the lighting, but then not much I suppose you could have done about that in the zoo.

Week 2: Now this is a brilliant shot, the composition is great as is the lighting. Thanks for the explanation of how you achieved this, very clever idea.

Week 3: I much prefer your first photo for this image, I'm not very keen on the sketch style (but that is just my personal choice). I like the colour and DOF in the first.

Week 4: I like the way you have processed this photo (y)

Week 5: Yep I like this one and can relate to it too. The colours are great and the black background sets it off well.

Week 6: I see your thinking of clutter for the week and well done on getting a photo posted.

Now looking forward to seeing the rest of your weeks.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Back