Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR

Edit My Images
No
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
The latest lens

Is anyone using this form "nature" and maybe bird photography

Only one or two reviews but they seem to be good

I also believe you can use it with the TC14Ell

If so it would be great to have your comments, I have an AFS Nikon 300mm f4 …….. but I would like something a little more versatile and with VR for my next trip to S Africa in January

Some reviews still say the 300mm f4 plus TC14ll is "better"

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes I bought one a couple of weeks ago and have been really pleased with it.
The close focusing is what blew me away, and it's very sharp right through the focal range and very quick to focus too.
It's actually replaced my 70/200 2.8 as the walkabout lens for the moment.

Some reviews still say the 300mm f4 plus TC14ll is "better"

Thanks

It may be - but you are stuck at 420mm & F8 to get the best from it ..

This lens gives you choices, 80-400 without thinking about, also don't think it will take a 1.4 on it

Hi, I got one of these as soon as they were available in the UK for use on a D800e and D7100 for wildlife. Nice and sharp, very fast focussing, great colours/contrast, comparatively lightweight, works pretty well with a x1.4 attached on both bodies. Almost a perfect wildlife lens. I only sold mine to get something longer. On the negative side, I think the lens is quite expensive for what it is. If you are happy to swallow the cost I think there is a lot to like about this lens. Would definitely consider getting another.

It may be - but you are stuck at 420mm & F8 to get the best from it ..

This lens gives you choices, 80-400 without thinking about, also don't think it will take a 1.4 on it

I think x 1.4 give 420mm at f5.6 Pete ……. f8 would be if you used the TC20Elll

Yes I bought one a couple of weeks ago and have been really pleased with it.
The close focusing is what blew me away, and it's very sharp right through the focal range and very quick to focus too.
It's actually replaced my 70/200 2.8 as the walkabout lens for the moment.

Thanks Gremlin
Yes that is what I was thinking about doing - replacing my 70 200mm f2.8 VR, which is not really must good for birding or small wildlife, IMHO

Last edited:
Hi, I got one of these as soon as they were available in the UK for use on a D800e and D7100 for wildlife. Nice and sharp, very fast focussing, great colours/contrast, comparatively lightweight, works pretty well with a x1.4 attached on both bodies. Almost a perfect wildlife lens. I only sold mine to get something longer. On the negative side, I think the lens is quite expensive for what it is. If you are happy to swallow the cost I think there is a lot to like about this lens. Would definitely consider getting another.

Thanks Gary
I would use it with a D7100 and maybe, just maybe a D700
good light is not too much of a problem in SA in the summer and for birding it would be on a tripod 75% of the time
If needs to be relatively lightweight and not too big to take on a plane

Last edited:
You can use the TC-14EII with the lens which then gives you a 110-560mm f/6.3 - f/8 It works really well IMHO when stopped down to f/11 but most of the time you don't have the light to use such high f/ but if your using it in Africa then you won't have that issue so mite be worth looking at, giving you 840mm on your D7100...

Here are some test shots with the TC-14EII found online

Chipmunk with 1.4x TC @ f8: Download 2400 pixel image (JPEG: 1.4 MB)

• Chipmunk with 1.4x TC @ f11: Download 2400 pixel image (JPEG: 1.4 MB)

• Chipmunk with 1.4x TC @ f13: Download 2400 pixel image (JPEG: 1.5 MB)

• Chipmunk with 1.4x TC @ f16: Download 2400 pixel image (JPEG: 1.5 MB)

And here's two more shots illustrating the lack of need to stop down more than 1 stop (from wide open) based on sharpness concerns:

• Red Squirrel with 1.4x TC @ f11: Download 2400 pixel image (JPEG: 2.1 MB)

• Red Squirrel with 1.4x TC @ f14: Download 2400 pixel image (JPEG: 2.0 MB)

Hi Bill

You can obviously check the weight but it is a nice, compact lens as well.

If looking for an upgrade to a 70-200 plus TCs I doubt you will get much better.

That stated, I tested mine against a mate's Sigma 50-500os and they were similarly sharp. This lens should also be on your lenses-to-think-about list IMVHO. I think the 80-400 is faster to focus, lighter and more "punchy" in its images but the 50-500 OS is a very decent performer for such little cash.

Hi Bill

You can obviously check the weight but it is a nice, compact lens as well.

If looking for an upgrade to a 70-200 plus TCs I doubt you will get much better.

That stated, I tested mine against a mate's Sigma 50-500os and they were similarly sharp. This lens should also be on your lenses-to-think-about list IMVHO. I think the 80-400 is faster to focus, lighter and more "punchy" in its images but the 50-500 OS is a very decent performer for such little cash.

I have a 70 200mm f2.8VR Gary - it is just not long enough even with a TC for birds …….it is great without a TC as a "walk around" when the IQ and flexibility of the lens is good

I think x 1.4 give 420mm at f5.6 Pete ……. f8 would be if you used the TC20Elll

The line after the f8 should have told you what I said - I wouldn't use a tele on the F4 without stopping it down - preferably a stop... some teles require more to get the best from them...

You can use the TC-14EII with the lens which then gives you a 110-560mm f/6.3 - f/8 It works really well IMHO when stopped down to f/11 but most of the time you don't have the light to use such high f/ but if your using it in Africa then you won't have that issue so mite be worth looking at, giving you 840mm on your D7100...

Here are some test shots with the TC-14EII found online

Chipmunk with 1.4x TC @ f8: Download 2400 pixel image (JPEG: 1.4 MB)

• Chipmunk with 1.4x TC @ f11: Download 2400 pixel image (JPEG: 1.4 MB)

• Chipmunk with 1.4x TC @ f13: Download 2400 pixel image (JPEG: 1.5 MB)

• Chipmunk with 1.4x TC @ f16: Download 2400 pixel image (JPEG: 1.5 MB)

And here's two more shots illustrating the lack of need to stop down more than 1 stop (from wide open) based on sharpness concerns:

• Red Squirrel with 1.4x TC @ f11: Download 2400 pixel image (JPEG: 2.1 MB)

• Red Squirrel with 1.4x TC @ f14: Download 2400 pixel image (JPEG: 2.0 MB)

Thanks Joe, they look good and the size, weight and flexibility of the lens looks idea for carrying around and using away from home

Gary - I know I may be missing something but I tend to stick to Nikon

The line after the f8 should have told you what I said - I wouldn't use a tele on the F4 without stopping it down - preferably a stop... some teles require more to get the best from them...

Obviously I did not understand what you said …….

I have used the 300mm f4 at f4 quite a lot ……….. that is one of the joys of the lens, f4 is all you need …….. for birds ………. different considerations with Dragonflies

same considerations with the TC14 ……… shots at f5.6 are good, (for me anyway)

The 300mm f4 has been my most used lens over the past few years - I use it for almost everything

The 70 200mm f2.8 needs f8 with the 14 to get the best out of it

Thanks Joe, they look good and the size, weight and flexibility of the lens looks idea for carrying around and using away from home

Would be handy for out in Africa with the hot temps if you don't fancy carrying a ton of gear around & Relating to the other post about the 50-500mm sigma I would avoid that in all honesty as the 80-400mm is a far better performer and specially with the 50-500mm & 150-500mm Sigma's they lack a lot of Contrast I found using my mates in the past, and not a patch on the Nikon 300mm f/4 with TC-14EII...

The 70 200mm f2.8 needs f8 with the 14 to get the best out of it

Which 70-200mm f/2.8 Model you referring to?

Last edited:
Not sure I agree with the dismissive comment relating to the 50-500 above. I agree that the 80-400 is marginally better in terms of contrast but nothing that cannot be corrected in seconds in PP.

Same here. I like the robustness of nikon lenses over sigma as I do tend to buy my gear to be used
and quite often abused.

Bill I see you have 2 locations, if you are in the UK one in the near future I'm not that far from
if you want to give it a try (y)
I use it on a D7100 and a D300 but did let someone give it a whirl on a D4 recently, they were impressed too

Last edited:
Same here. I like the robustness of nikon lenses over sigma as I do tend to buy my gear to be used
and quite often abused.

Bill I see you have 2 locations, if you are in the UK one in the near future I'm not that far from
if you want to give it a try (y)
I use it on a D7100 and a D300 but did let someone give it a whirl on a D$ recently, they were impressed too

Thanks Ingrid - we are resident in France but get over to Winchester now and again - not until October next though
I have the D7100 and D300, (can't bear to part with it)

Thanks Ingrid - we are resident in France but get over to Winchester now and again - not until October next though
I have the D7100 and D300, (can't bear to part with it)

Same here Bill. although it has been well used.
Well if you haven't taken the plunge by october just give me a shout

Pretty sure @Chris Wilson uses an 80-400 as his zoo lens, on A D3, Seems to get pretty good results from the combo. Not sure what (if any) TCs he uses on it.

Indeed I do - on a D3x usually.
I think it's a superb lens - pin-sharp even @400mm if you stop it down a bit.
The VR works - I can hand-hold it at 1/80th @400mm.
It does what it's designed to do really well, is very versatile and reasonably light.
Personally I wouldn't slow it down any more by adding a converter unless travelling where packability becomes an issue.
You pays yer money etc.....

This guy was hand-held @1/80

Tawny Owl, Hawk Conservancy Trust by chriswilson4646, on Flickr

cheers, cw

Last edited:

With your D800E were you getting some nice detail ? Any chance of posting an image you took with it. Just out of interest what did you get instead? I was just wondering about alternatives. Many thanks

Hi BC

I am currently at work so do not have any images with me. I can though assure that this is an excellent combination if you do not want too much focal length. I moved onto a 500VR for ultimate IQ then a Sigma 120-300 f2.8 Sport plus TCs to lightweight a bit since I have a dodgy knee. I do not want to clutter up this thread going off-topic but the 120-300 Sport is an astonishingly good lens bare and with x1.4 and x2 TCs.

I bought one when they were released & got to say I was really impressed. I traded it for a 200-400mm, but tbh wish I still had it.
This is a crop of one of these fast moving birds. (Lightened shadows slightly in PSE10 & added the frame in picasa.)

D800E, 400mm, 1/3200th sec, F6.3, ISO 1250, + 4/3rds EV.

Swift (Apus apus)
by Carl B.1, on Flickr

Fast Formation Flying by Carl B.1, on Flickr

Speedwell (Veronica gentianoides) by Carl B.1, on Flickr

I recently picked up the Tammy 150-600, which is fantastic for the money, but think I preferred the Nikon.

Last edited:
I sold the Tammy before Christmas & bought another 80-400

Hardly been out since, until a couple of weeks ago, but more than happy with it.

. Blue tit by Carl B.1, on Flickr

Back