Nikon D750 & D780

There's an unwanted 70-300 VC going in the classifieds... :whistle:

I did notice that @JYC

VC won't really help with Motorsport so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I would aim for a lower angle and just work on the panning. You really don't need an expensive lens for Motorsport, sharpness almost all comes from nailing technique.

As for the Flickr issue, it's nothing you've done, they just transfer across to forums very badly.

I had also read that VC doesn't help for Motorsport. Luckily it looks like I may be going a few more times this year when I normally only go once, so at least I'll get some practice.

I'll be honest - I used to think the same. Perhaps with the exception of the CPL.

But then I started using filters for non-landscape shooting (outdoor portraits to get shutter speed down to flash sync) and I realised setting up a holder doesn't really take long. If you're taking landscapes anyway you'll be setting up a tripod etc., going slow, and adding 20sec to get your filter bag out isn't much. It takes me far longer than that in post to recombine two brackets...
Fair points, we shall see how I get on with it, and I`m sure someone will make a contraption soon, if I should want/need one ;)

I missed not using my 10 stop when I had the 14mm hence the move to the 20mm 1.8g

That I can understand :)

There already is one mate.

04-1.jpg

NiSi_Sigma20mm_2__07883.1453176189.1280.1280.jpg

:LOL:

Last edited:
Sigma 50 and dock inbound...

:oops: :$
Great.

I was in Park Camera yesterday attending a photo event. For the first time I handled the Sigma Art series lenses. They all feel great and really well made like premium stuff. Didn't had my camera and wanted to check the 24-35 F2 and 50 Art in terms of weight. Will go back with my D750 and see how these lenses feel like attached to the body.

I understand you had the Nikon 50 1.8G. Look forward to hear your thoughts on the comparison.

Great.

I was in Park Camera yesterday attending a photo event. For the first time I handled the Sigma Art series lenses. They all feel great and really well made like premium stuff. Didn't had my camera and wanted to check the 24-35 F2 and 50 Art in terms of weight. Will go back with my D750 and see how these lenses feel like attached to the body.

I understand you had the Nikon 50 1.8G. Look forward to hear your thoughts on the comparison.

I've had both, the Sigma is much better, should be at 6x the weight and 5x the price.

I've had both, the Sigma is much better, should be at 6x the weight and 5x the price.
Did you find it ok to carry along all day? If you have to choose one again which one would you pick?

Great.

I sure will do. Hoping for delivery tomorrow but it's more than likely going to be Monday or Tuesday. At 815g though it's not much lighter than the24-70 was!

Did you find it ok to carry along all day? If you have to choose one again which one would you pick?

Its a big beast and a little front heavy on the D750 where I find the Sigma 35 ART balances really nicely. Optically though its worth the carry, it doesnt need stopping down, its just ridiculously good wide open. Which would I choose? The ART...... which should you choose? Depends on how you feel about the weight and how important f1.4 and IQ is.

At the moment I have a 35 ART, 50G and a 85 1.8G. I sold the 50 ART not because I think the 50G is better but because Im using 35mm with my DSLR pretty much exclusively and Im covered by 50mm with my Fuji. The 50G is just in my bag because its cheap and it makes a light DSLR combo if I ever needed it (so far havent even used the 50G since buying it!)

D750 Newb question.. one shooting habit I sometimes use with my old Olympus is to bracket manually. In manual mode with back button focusing I'll take a shot and immediately tweak aperture and shutter speed or ISO and take another one.

With the D750 if I've got image previews on then this just scrolls through the previews instead. Is there any way to make turning the dials during auto-preview revert immediately to shooting mode? It's driving me totally :banana:

D750 Newb question.. one shooting habit I sometimes use with my old Olympus is to bracket manually. In manual mode with back button focusing I'll take a shot and immediately tweak aperture and shutter speed or ISO and take another one.

With the D750 if I've got image previews on then this just scrolls through the previews instead. Is there any way to make turning the dials during auto-preview revert immediately to shooting mode? It's driving me totally :banana:

If you half press the shutter then the preview will turn off so you could perhaps work in a quick press in the shutter button before changing dials.

Also, could you not use the U1 or U2 setting and then program it to not playback the image?

If you half press the shutter then the preview will turn off so you could perhaps work in a quick press in the shutter button before changing dials.

Also, could you not use the U1 or U2 setting and then program it to not playback the image?

Thanks - that's what I'm currently trying to do. The habit is so ingrained that it's proving hard to break.

Are you using live view?, just use the viewfinder
Nope.
I instinctively do this:
  1. focus (AEF/L)
  2. release shutter
  3. immediately tweak aperture & shutter speed (say)
  4. (optional) refocus if required (AEF/L)
  5. release shutter again
Very, very often I end up scrolling through images on preview or sometimes diving into menus if I've hit another button in passing.
Disabling preview altogether works, as does refocusing. What I'd like to happen is for it to drop out of preview mode the minute I touch a dial unless I've deliberately entered playback mode.

You could turn off image preview in the menu and use it like a film camera!!! You would then be able to tweak iso/shutter speed/aperture instantly.

You could turn off image preview in the menu and use it like a film camera!!! You would then be able to tweak iso/shutter speed/aperture instantly.

Yep this was my thinking, hence the question do you use 'live view', like anything if you do it enough it will become 2nd nature.

Turn off image preview and stop chimping ;) :p

@juggler is there a reason you manually bracket rather than use the bracket function? I find the bracket function much easier/quicker.

@juggler is there a reason you manually bracket rather than use the bracket function? I find the bracket function much easier/quicker.
If I'm unsure about how much DoF I want during a portrait shoot I sometimes rattle off a couple of frames changing aperture & shutter speed between shots.

Bracketing only alters one thing at once and takes me longer to access.

I clearly just need to be more decisive!

If I'm unsure about how much DoF I want during a portrait shoot I sometimes rattle off a couple of frames changing aperture & shutter speed between shots.

Bracketing only alters one thing at once and takes me longer to access.

I clearly just need to be more decisive!

Here you go, just use the Depth of Field Preview Button :-

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k2G90Cramxk

Back