Nikon D7xxx owners thread

Sure, you can stick a grip on a D800 for a little more FPS. I mentioned the D800 specifically for its control lay out being similar to the D300. A D4 is another option but a bit pricey and down on pixels so cropping gets a bit compromised.

A D750, D610 (faster frame rate on them) with a 1.7TCE and decent long lens would give you great reach and excellent cropability and ISO performance completely alien to someone using a D300.
I`m not sure that the grip does increase the FPS,you sure on that Steve?

Ah, but only in DX mode. Thought you had found a magic trick to up it in FX mode.

afraid not...

As you say, it wasn't designed for sports and fast moving subjects, but should be ok for wildlife etc.

Anyway, the D810 is improved, to 5fps....
The 800 is not very good for birds in flight, the 750 murders it, but, and it`s a big but, the D800 is amazing for resolution and detail,even if cropping in quite heavily. I find that the af is better in crop mode for BIF`s that are further away.

The 800 is not very good for birds in flight, the 750 murders it, but, and it`s a big but, the D800 is amazing for resolution and detail,even if cropping in quite heavily. I find that the af is better in crop mode for BIF`s that are further away.

I'll bow to your knowledge on that as I've never shot a flying anything (well I did but with a D610 and it was fine). I use mine in a completely different setting normally. Agree re detail/res which is why I love the thing (along with the dynamic range and ability to recover shadows cleanly) and the histogram live preview function and using the lv to enhance the focus at the same time.

I borrowed a 2x TC stuck on an old 70-210F4 and had 420mm at f8 and that reach was incredible for shooting a bunny rabbit in my garden. It didn't move though...

Last edited:
D7200 going to be released tomorrow apparently according to Nikon Rumours.
These are some of the specs they list.

• 24MP sensor
  • 6fps
  • Improved 51 AF (better low light performance)
  • No tilt screen
  • In addition to Wi-Fi, the D7200 will also have NFC
  • The D7200 Wi-Fi will also support a wireless mic that will be announced later

Judging from the specs there really isn't major upgraded features from the D7100, certainly not a comparison with the Canon 7D MK II

I have said it on the D7100 thread, it looks as if Nikon are trying to get the serious amature into FF bodies with current prices of same. The D7200 doesn't seem like much of step up from the D7100 looking at Joes spec above.

So it's the D5200's new sensor with some of the D300/S's AF stuff and the D7100/D5200's more accurate iso doohicky? It's going to be fabulous. Not worth upgrading for if you have the D7100 or maybe even a D5200/D5300 but I would be looking hard at my shutter count if I had a D300/S or a D7000.

I only use natural light and aside from the body and AF the D5200 wallops the D300 with the lower light stuff and at one point I wanted to be buried with that camera.

Same weight and battery pack as the D7100,so is that no external changes and if thats the case does it mean we can still hope for a D400,did say hope.

Last edited:
Given Nikon's propensity to update their camera range very regularly and the fact that it is eight years since the D300 was introduced,( five years since the D300S), I would think there is no chance of any replacement for that range other than the D7*** series of cameras.

I've spotted a couple of things on Nikonrumor's comparison chart:
Built-in flash commander seems to have disappeared.
Lens compatibility doesn't include AF and AF-D - has the focussing motor gone?

I've spotted a couple of things on Nikonrumor's comparison chart:
Built-in flash commander seems to have disappeared.
Lens compatibility doesn't include AF and AF-D - has the focussing motor gone?

AF motor is still there, looks like an omission on the spec sheet.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7200/spec.htm

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7200/spec.htm said:
Compatible with AF NIKKOR lenses, including type G, E and D lenses (some restrictions apply to PC lenses) and DX lenses, AI-P NIKKOR lenses, and non-CPU AI lenses (A and M modes only); IX-NIKKOR lenses, lenses for the F3AF, and non-AI lenses cannot be used
The electronic rangefinder can be used with lenses that have a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster (the electronic rangefinder supports the center focus point with lenses that have a maximum aperture of f/8 or faster)

Spudey just beat me to it!

Getting boring now ... actually, it's been boring a while. All these 'update' models. They're just to lure in the "must have new model" types. It'll take the same picture as a D7000

An interesting comparison chart between the d7200 and d7100 I found on WEX.

http://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/en_INC/o...hRroI/PDF/D7200-D7100_Comparison_Sheet_en.pdf

There is definitely no reals changes for me over the d7100. The best change I had from the d7000 to a d7100 was the AF was so much better. My d7000 AF was not to be trusted. It's interesting the pre-order price is £160 cheaper than the d7100 at launch.

Getting boring now ... actually, it's been boring a while. All these 'update' models. They're just to lure in the "must have new model" types. It'll take the same picture as a D7000

The only good thing is you can pick up the previous model at a great price and still have a great camera. I'm tempted by a used d7100 as a second body to a d800 if the price is right as many off load them for the new model.

Last edited:
So how do i set this 'LO 1' iso 50 on my d7100 then?
Press and hold the iso button and rotate the rear dial from right to left and the iso will go down, just keep going when you get to 100 :)

ETA: that is assuming Nikon have been consistent ;)

I don't think it displays the iso as 50 - I think it displays it as Lo 0.3, Lo 0.6 and low 1.0 or something similar ... don't have my camera to hand to check :eek:

Any of the ISO's marked Lo (or Hi for that matter) are generally to be avoided as the camera is shooting below or above the sensors native ISO range and this can affect dynamic range & clips highlights.

Not at high iso (1600+). New sensor and all the refinement is a noticeable improvement for the first time in years, plus it will be able to get more out of the higher end lenses, we know this from the D5200/D5300. No it won't be a revolution but it will be the next generation. People who already have D7000 won't be tempted unless the shutter is nearing the end of it's lifespan, but if you need a new semi-pro body then it will be pretty damn close to perfect.

Not at high iso (1600+). New sensor and all the refinement is a noticeable improvement for the first time in years, plus it will be able to get more out of the higher end lenses, we know this from the D5200/D5300. No it won't be a revolution but it will be the next generation. People who already have D7000 won't be tempted unless the shutter is nearing the end of it's lifespan, but if you need a new semi-pro body then it will be pretty damn close to perfect.

We heard all this with every camera that's come out last few years. Every new model they say "better than the older one at high ISO .." Nobody said it was going to be bad ... but neither are the ones that preceded it.

We heard all this with every camera that's come out last few years. Every new model they say "better than the older one at high ISO .." Nobody said it was going to be bad ... but neither are the ones that preceded it.

It's been a incremental increase over time, that's why I'm saying you would only trade in your D7000 if it were nearing the end of it's shutter life. You would actually be surprised at how good the iso is now, I can get shots on the D5200 at iso 6400 that look like they were taken at iso 3200 on a D300 or D90. If you only use up to iso 400 on these cameras then no, you won't see any difference.

I have to ask, if there is no point upgrading D7000 bodies then why did you go from a D90 to a D800E instead of a D700?

It's been a incremental increase over time, that's why I'm saying you would only trade in your D7000 if it were nearing the end of it's shutter life. You would actually be surprised at how good the iso is now, I can get shots on the D5200 at iso 6400 that look like they were taken at iso 3200 on a D300 or D90. If you only use up to iso 400 on these cameras then no, you won't see any difference.

I have to ask, if there is no point upgrading D7000 bodies then why did you go from a D90 to a D800E instead of a D700?

Because I had the money to buy a brand new D800E ... simple enough. I would have been more than happy with a D700, I was also thinking ahead. I'm forever buying and selling on. Just so happens I've stuck with the D800E ... because it's amazing. You don't see me buying the D810 ...

Does the D7200 have the auto ISO feature with automatic minimum shutter speed based on the focal length of the lens?

@Cagey75 and this is just why someone else with a bag full of DX lenses would want to buy the latest semi-pro model. The D7200 has to exist from Nikon's POV, the insides of the D5200 have too much of the D7000 in them and the new D5500 will have too much of the D7100 in them. They have to update the D7200 with better stuff so that the D7200 will sell.

@Cagey75 and this is just why someone else with a bag full of DX lenses would want to buy the latest semi-pro model. The D7200 has to exist from Nikon's POV, the insides of the D5200 have too much of the D7000 in them and the new D5500 will have too much of the D7100 in them. They have to update the D7200 with better stuff so that the D7200 will sell.

Well, are you buying one? If I was still shooting DX, like my old D90, I'd be watching out for good value on used D7100 soon as this comes out. That's a bit different than when I bought the D800, because that was a huge leap ... from D7000 to D7200 won't be such a huge difference. I'd always put lenses first. if you already have all you need in that dept, then sure, buying this won't be a bad idea. But I'm thinking it's not all that much better than the current crop,

@Cagey75 I decided to go for the D5200, because it was a £300 ex-display model and has the newer high iso stuff I need. I tend to look at bodies as just a place for lenses to live these days and have multiple systems and set ups. It's a odd bag and a by-product of dealing but it means I can pick the best lens for what I want to do and don't get tied down, for example I have my macro lens on the sony body for it's insanely good focus peaking system.

Back