Nikon D810

Let's hope nikon get and either bring out a d700 replacement, or tell us they aren't going to.
Yes I'd be interested, but currently I'm buying good glass and getting the best out of my D700. So far upto A3 has produced some excellent prints.

A D700 ( upto ISO 2200) and decent glass covers most of what I need.

A replacement will be more of a want than a need.

Let's hope nikon get and either bring out a d700 replacement, or tell us they aren't going to.
Yes I'd be interested, but currently I'm buying good glass and getting the best out of my D700. So far upto A3 has produced some excellent prints.

A D700 ( upto ISO 2200) and decent glass covers most of what I need.

A replacement will be more of a want than a need.

The D750 allegedly being launched at Photokina in under two weeks ?

There is loads on that (#720 refers) in the D800 thread ranging from "No difference" to "plenty difference". I have a D800E and I initially thought it was revealling some weakness in my technique. Not so sure now as I think that what is showing up is that the auto focus is not quite as good as my previous D700.
There is not a great deal being reported by D810 owners. That may be a good sign or it may be down to not a lot of sales. The D800 had plenty written about it. unfortunately much of that was triggered by the left sided focussing issue.

Last edited:
Latest specs from Nikon Rumours :

24mp sensor
51point AF System
8fps in body, without additional battery grip
Advantaged scene recognition system with 91K RGB Sensor (same as in D800/D800e/D810)

If the price is right and not too ridiculous I may consider getting one and if the AF is superb, but apart from that I'am happy with my D3&D800 Combo

Last edited:
I don't know, there's quite a bit out there saying that the AF is very good, it's a lot quieter, feels more secure in your hands and people generally have received it well apart from the alleged 'Thermal Issue' that may be, or may not be an issue. However this appears to be resolved with the C1:01 FW update.

back from hols and my 3rd D810 has finally arrived after 3 weeks of waiting (the AF died after 100 shots on d810 #2), the new camera does have the updated firmware and a black dot on the tripod screw as widely reported. I'd be interested to know if the firmware has tweaked anything else, probably my imagination (and jet lag) but comparing the two cameras (with the same lens), the AF feels slightly 'snappier' than on my early one that is still running the original FW.

Last edited:
What happened to your first one, Phil (had a look through your post, but did not find it mentioned). To have two new cameras fail is incredible bad luck or a lot of faulty cameras about.

What happened to your first one, Phil (had a look through your post, but did not find it mentioned). To have two new cameras fail is incredible bad luck or a lot of faulty cameras about.

I'm replacing two of my ageing D3s's with D810's, but basically only one has actually failed -

#1 D810 is fine and hasn't missed a beat in a few thousand images, but requires a firmware update and sensor map (iirc) to sort the thermal white pixies issues, which isn't actually a problem for me as I don't do long exposures, but will have it done via NPS soon anyway.

#2 D810 was fine for a hundred or so pics when the AF started to continually hunt for 10-20 shots (and lock focus when it was MILES out) and then start working OK again. I tried various lenses and all were fine for a few shots then started doing the same thing, turing the camera on/off, removing battery didn't fix the problem, very strange.

#3 D810 seems perfect (so far), it has the new firmware and fix already applied.

Last edited:
Thanks Phil.

I think I would ask the retailer to check that before dispatching the camera.

Don't suppose all the sub standard cameras were recalled.

I doubt it somehow........

But if considering purchase its good to know what you're looking for.

There is also a recalibration and firmware update but you can't do this yourself. Models adjusted are indicated by a black dot on the tripod bush. There is a bit more information here:-
http://nikonrumors.com/2014/08/22/how-to-tell-if-a-nikon-d810-camera-has-the-thermal-issue-fix.aspx/

Thats not a rumour though. Ipso facto.

Are you talking features people don't like, perceived 'must have' features missing or following on from Nikon's recent track record, the technical problems? ;) :LOL:

probably all of those for some people, but particularly the latter "the recent (reported on the internet) track record of technical problems"

Just wondering what the "moans" will be once the D750 is released?

Oh there will be millions of camera enthusiasts who will moan. The photographers will just look upon it all with mild interest, and move on.

Is anyone using Active D-lighting as their default setting? I'm not going to be shooting videos (for the time being) I just wondered in anyone knew of any good reason why you shouldn't?

Oh there will be millions of camera enthusiasts who will moan. The photographers will just look upon it all with mild interest, and move on.

Always seems to be millions who moan before new cameras hit the streets.

Camera electronics have come such a long way since the early 80s. Within hours of new models hitting the shops. There are a whole army of consumer testers shining torches through ever port or socket, tripod bush and doing long exposures. These issues are identified very quickly and posted on YouTube for all to see. Manufacturers jump on these and resolve the issues very quickly. Case in point the Fuji X-T1 and D810. You would think though that these are very basic problems and these would be eliminated during production tests.

Camera electronics have come such a long way since the early 80s. Within hours of new models hitting the shops. There are a whole army of consumer testers shining torches through ever port or socket, tripod bush and doing long exposures. These issues are identified very quickly and posted on YouTube for all to see. Manufacturers jump on these and resolve the issues very quickly. Case in point the Fuji X-T1 and D810. You would think though that these are very basic problems and these would be eliminated during production tests.

I have little doubt that a cost/benefit analysis gets done to weigh up whether it is best to finance the means by which cameras can be thoroughly tested and modified before going for sale against the cost of not doing that in terms of repairs and the effect of bad publicity etc.

Looking like Nikon, at least, seem prepared to let us users become the ones to unearth the problems. That could well backfire in the long term if customers perceive significant reliability issues.

I have little doubt that a cost/benefit analysis gets done to weigh up whether it is best to finance the means by which cameras can be thoroughly tested and modified before going for sale against the cost of not doing that in terms of repairs and the effect of bad publicity etc.

Looking like Nikon, at least, seem prepared to let us users become the ones to unearth the problems. That could well backfire in the long term if customers perceive significant reliability issues.

True. What is strange is that you pay all this money and you don't even get a hot-shoe slide cover with the D810 - I'm sure that's an oversight !

Nikon are churning out quite a few exciting and highly rated bodies compared with Canon ……… and Canon are a larger company …….. most would say that sensor wise, (I no that it is a Sony sensor), and general design wise Nikon are ahead of Canon ……. so when they are really "updating" their FX bodies, maybe such can be expected.
None of the "problems", if you can call then that seem to be terminal

True. What is strange is that you pay all this money and you don't even get a hot-shoe slide cover with the D810 - I'm sure that's an oversight !

That's Nikon for you. It has always irked me that even their smallest accessories seem to cost about six times what they should. Nikon seem to take the view that since you pay a lot for one of their cameras you'll also be happy to pay over the odds for minor accessories.

That's Nikon for you. It has always irked me that even their smallest accessories seem to cost about six times what they should. Nikon seem to take the view that since you pay a lot for one of their cameras you'll also be happy to pay over the odds for minor accessories.

Not sticking up for Nikon, but isn't it the same for all major manufacturers ……. plus now you have the Chinese option for plastic parts which are cheap and almost as good

You normally get one, this is the first camera in about 30 years from Nikon that didn't.

At least Nikon supply hoods (fairly basic & important kit) with all their lenses, unlike canon.

As Bill says, they are all trying to sell their accessories.

You normally get one, this is the first camera in about 30 years from Nikon that didn't.

You only lose it the first time you remove it to use a flashgun anyway :)

This is true. The last time I lost one I purchased 6 on eBay for peanuts. Autumn / Winter fast approaching - don't want rain on those electrical contacts !
You'd be okay even if rain did get on the contacts as they're only reception not charged contacts. So in laymans terms, they dont have a voltage in the contacts without a flash attached

You'd be okay even if rain did get on the contacts as they're only reception not charged contacts. So in laymans terms, they dont have a voltage in the contacts without a flash attached

Granted - but I thinking of it from more of a corrosive point of view than electrical. I spend quite a bit of time close to sea water which increase the risk. It's good practice to keep them covered when not in use but then again I have always looked after my gear.

Not sticking up for Nikon, but isn't it the same for all major manufacturers ……. plus now you have the Chinese option for plastic parts which are cheap and almost as good
Do canon even give you one at all? I am fairly sure my sisters 700D didn't come with a hotshoe cover.

Granted - but I thinking of it from more of a corrosive point of view than electrical. I spend quite a bit of time close to sea water which increase the risk. It's good practice to keep them covered when not in use but then again I have always looked after my gear.
Rain has never been a problem nor caused any evidence of corrosion...
I can see having some concern with salt water; but I think a proper cleaning after exposure would be more important/beneficial. The contacts are plated (probably nickel) to withstand exposure. And it is more likely that the slip on cover will hold moisture under it than it is that it will prevent moisture from getting in.

Back