weekly Nortdog's TP52 For 2014 - Week 27 Rich

Hi well done for getting his attention you have ever so slightly missed focus but its really difficult they move so quickly, agree about the twig too

Step: A nice well captured cityscape....lots of details to enjoy throughtout and the dynamic lighting adds alot to this.....cant help but feel I would like to see some people in the frame also

Nature: Cool pic of a little cheecky chap....made more special by the fact his a regular visitor to your garden. Focus is a tad off as you know but I can fully appreciate how difficult this must be.....which is the exact reason I avoid wildlife photography at all costs

nice capture, though the bright background draws the eye a little, perhaps darken this down in PS would help

A very good nature portrait. 7/10

You didn't break that branch for the photo did you :p

The slight oof just pulls this from being a great catch. We get these in our garden but they always seem to move too fast.......especially when I let the dogs out :whistle:

Not much of my week this week consisted of being able to get an action shot so I had to think about this one for a while! I decided on trying to get a bird shot but wanted to try a different perspective so had this view in my head. About a million shots later I got one like what I visualised :eek:. I'm not completely happy with the sky as it looks a little blown but it was cloud and any less exposed resulted in under exposure :confused:. In the end I was just happy I was able to get a shot I was after, cheers.

birdb by Nortdog, on Flickr

Excellent :clap: I would have been very happy with that (y) viewed on flickr you look to have nailed the focus on the birds head, motion blur in the wings is great and the pov :clap: and I can see plenty of detail in the sky.

If anything, for me, it could have done with a plastic feeder to stop the glare on the bottom being a little distracting :)

Adam this is great... bordering on awesome. :clap:

Super compoosition with the fence on a third, and the leaves creating a left third. No problems with the sky, nice textures to not detract from the main even in the centre. Fantastic POV.

Super capture for timing and motion / light on the birds outstretched wings.

Looking at it the only thing I'd like to see different is the fence at the right cloned to complete the run through the image. And that has to be the tiniest nit-pick ever. (y)

Love it, share your settings please?? Presume there was a flash involved too??

Excellent :clap: I would have been very happy with that (y) viewed on flickr you look to have nailed the focus on the birds head, motion blur in the wings is great and the pov :clap: and I can see plenty of detail in the sky.

If anything, for me, it could have done with a plastic feeder to stop the glare on the bottom being a little distracting :)
Thanks Phil, ye completely agree, it is distracting. I mite have a play with it, see if I can use the other side to clone it out a bit.

Super compoosition with the fence on a third, and the leaves creating a left third. No problems with the sky, nice textures to not detract from the main even in the centre. Fantastic POV.

Looking at it the only thing I'd like to see different is the fence at the right cloned to complete the run through the image. And that has to be the tiniest nit-pick ever. (y)

Wow, thanks Graham that's very kind. Settings wise it was shot at 1/1600 at F6.3 ISO 800. The reason it was ISO 800 was because I wanted more DOF to get more of the bird in focus but needed a very fast shutter speed otherwise the whole bird was a blur! They move so fast! yes there was a flash too, off camera to the left and below. I set it to high speed sync and used ETTL for a bit of fill light.

I agree with Graham great shot (y)

Mono...fits the theme well, do you still use it Adam? (y)

HI Adam

Absolutely love your Action shot.....perfectly lit , perfectly caught motion in the wings & a great POV....can't crit at all :clap::clap:

Mono.....perfect subject for the theme , the negatives add a bit of interest ,slight angle works....(y) not 100% on the clipped bit of the negative...but thats a minor crit

Good interesting image Adam, like the composition, dof, plenty of detail, works well (y)

I agree with Graham great shot (y)

Mono...fits the theme well, do you still use it Adam? (y)
No it's not one that I've ever used, it's just an old one that my brother acquired a while ago and is just in the collection!

HI Adam

Absolutely love your Action shot.....perfectly lit , perfectly caught motion in the wings & a great POV....can't crit at all :clap::clap:

Mono.....perfect subject for the theme , the negatives add a bit of interest ,slight angle works....(y) not 100% on the clipped bit of the negative...but thats a minor crit
Thanks very much Lynne
Good interesting image Adam, like the composition, dof, plenty of detail, works well (y)
cheers Phil.

Hi, Adam, Action...cracker, really works for me: perspective, detail, slight motion blur. Just works.

Mono, again, another good one. I spend some time looking at the detail on the camera.

Good work.

Hi, Adam, Action...cracker, really works for me: perspective, detail, slight motion blur. Just works.

Mono, again, another good one. I spend some time looking at the detail on the camera.

Good work.
Thanks Andy

Love the action shot Adam, perfectly caught and well worth the wait!

Mono is dead on theme and a good technical shot, but it just doesn't hold my attention like the action one does.

ACTION ... excellent. I love unusual camera angles and this is unusual.

MONO ... nice, sharp, good contrast, like the shadow of the strip of film on the front of box.

the old camera not really grabbing me.... not like the bird did last week....

I do also like the shadows coming through the hols in the filmstrip edges.. wonder if more could be made of that somehow??

ACTION ... excellent. I love unusual camera angles and this is unusual.

MONO ... nice, sharp, good contrast, like the shadow of the strip of film on the front of box.
the old camera not really grabbing me.... not like the bird did last week....

I do also like the shadows coming through the hols in the filmstrip edges.. wonder if more could be made of that somehow??

Love the action shot Adam, perfectly caught and well worth the wait!

Mono is dead on theme and a good technical shot, but it just doesn't hold my attention like the action one does.
thanks guys

Hi Adam :)

The bird shot is great, such an unusual angle but it works really well, shame the sky didn't have something better to offer, but the coloured leaves help lift the shot for me, nice capture :)

Mono - Nicely set up, great old camera, I don't mind the film clipped to the rear of the shot, but I'd like to see the the whole of the bits in front, but all in all a well lit shot and a pleasing composition again (y)

Hi, brilliant bird shot fantastic angle, I can see why it took a few shots but worth it
Camera nicely exposed and lit not sure on the inclusion of the film strips though

Hi Adam :)

The bird shot is great, such an unusual angle but it works really well, shame the sky didn't have something better to offer, but the coloured leaves help lift the shot for me, nice capture :)

Mono - Nicely set up, great old camera, I don't mind the film clipped to the rear of the shot, but I'd like to see the the whole of the bits in front, but all in all a well lit shot and a pleasing composition again (y)
Thanks DK, I did wonder wether to clip the negative on the front or not, I decided to in the end as it looked a bit central if I left it all in

I've ended up getting a little bit behind this week due to other commitments so its a catch up for me over the bank hol! I had my idea for twisted quite early but only just had time to shoot it. Ive ended up sharpening a whole pencil for this until I was happy with the shape of the sharpenings, and they kept breaking when I was trying to position it! :banghead: Anyway I finally got a shot I was happy with.

IMG_7923 by Nortdog, on Flickr

Sorry guys, just a quick edit, I didn't like how the whites looked in the background once posted, thought they looked a little grey so tried to gett them back a little whiter without blowing anything.

IMG_79233 by Nortdog, on Flickr

Back