OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

I am totally metric , and I haven't got a clue what size lens cap to search for for my new Nikkor 250mm F/4, I thought it was 72......nope too big and 67 is too small.
Does any of you old whitworth imperial codgers know what lens cap might fit pls

MIR seems to suggest that there's a dedicated 68mm one...

Damit - 2 late :(

Been there before and I haven't been able to find my lens.
Its only when you start to look for something like this you realise that Nikon is the total and absolute daddy of lens manufacture.
Those are mostly for range finder not MF SLR, I wouldn't have thought they'd differ much from one design to another, they all look very similar....but....its not 68mm, I'd say it was nearer 70..:shrug:

I am totally metric , and I haven't got a clue what size lens cap to search for for my new Nikkor 250mm F/4, I thought it was 72......nope too big and 67 is too small.
Does any of you old whitworth imperial codgers know what lens cap might fit pls

358x5k8.jpg

Is that your son :D joxer peeking from behind the lens :LOL::LOL:

Oops - wrong place :D

Last edited:
Well, maybe not, but it is the wrong place for piccies :nuts:

First New toy for a While...

EOS-30

EOS-30 with Flash Up by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Works quite well with my old EF 28-105 - it's a bit light with some of the heavier built lenses, doesn't handle quite as well as the EOS-3 for that, but most of you know my feelings re: the EOS-3 :love:

Wish I'd have dusted it before it's photoshoot though!

Last edited:
that lens looks sweet ! :)

sorry, I know I was supposed to comment on the camera, as the lens is probably for your dslr :D

that lens looks sweet ! :)

sorry, I know I was supposed to comment on the camera, as the lens is probably for your dslr :D

If I get glass for the canon's - I try and make sure it's EF so it'll work with the current D-SLR, my Film Camera(s) and whatever D-SLR I do end up with eventually*. There's only one EF-S lens that I'm keen on, and that does the UWA bit for the current crop sensor. The other 2 EF-S lenses (18-55 IS and 55-250IS) do the job but they're only kit glass anyway :shrug:

* eventually - like after a wants list of at least 5 expensive bits of glass - i'll probably be in the market for a 5Dii round about when the 5Div comes out :LOL:

Surely all that IS/VR stuff's way out of date - imagine still having to buy a new stabilising system every time you get a new lens... :naughty:

Surely all that IS/VR stuff's way out of date - imagine still having to buy a new stabilising system every time you get a new lens... :naughty:

Ah, but that way you get one thats optimised for the particular characteristics of the lens - not a one size fits all solution like you get in those sony camera bodies you like so much :)

Though I have to admit - there is one lens that I really wish had IS - the 80-200 2.8L "magic drainpipe" - rest of the L stuff is short enough and fast enough not to matter.

Last edited:
Ah, but that way you get one thats optimised for the particular characteristics of the lens - not a one size fits all solution like you get in those sony camera bodies you like so much :)

No - it's optimised to the user :D And the Sony one's a pale imitation of the proper system :LOL:

Does it focus on whatever you look at?

No, nor does the Canon... unless you got one of the two original two demo cameras that worked properly :D

Last edited:
Does it focus on whatever you look at?

The Eye Controlled Focus... yes, sort of, you look at where you want to be in focus (or the 2 limits of in focus if you're using A-DOF mode), and if there's a AF sensor point over it, it snaps into focus. The 30's nor bad, but only has 7 points, the EOS-3 has something like 45 of 'em and is a lot more flexible.

...No, nor does the Canon... unless you got one of the two original two demo cameras that worked properly :D

Works okay for me - maybe it's that squint of your's that confuses it.:LOL: In fairness, it sort of trains itself, the longer you use it, the better it gets.

That's cos you got a 3... the Elan was OK but a pain sometimes with so few sensors.

Oh, and this was the other thing that turned up in the post yesterday: the first zoom I've ever owned in nearly 30 years of using FD lenses - a Canon FD 70-210 f/4 with a nice leather carrying case.

Lured by a £10 Buy-it-Now on eBay - it's like new.

canon_fd70-200.jpg

Lumax 3x TC :D

cl-3x.jpg

with Leica finder courtesy of Ujjwal

Woo-Hooo - Darth Tata's back... Don't suppose you've a Bunch of Spud Troopers waiting off Camera Left :LOL:

Poor Little CL, with all those bits hanging off it like some kind of small square christmas tree.

I nearly went for a Spud Lightyear yesterday - but Mrs A held me back :(

First new serious toy (photographic anyway) for ages, I've just bought a Canon F1N. I can't tell you how long I've had a serious lust for one of these! :naughty:

5038293159_ce5c0d93b4_o.jpg

Last edited:
Works okay for me - maybe it's that squint of your's that confuses it.:LOL: In fairness, it sort of trains itself, the longer you use it, the better it gets.

The eye control works just fine for me on the EOS3 -and that's wearing specs.

CT - congrats !!!! that one looks like one hell of a camera !!!
Thanks. I hope it is! :D

It's unused in the box with all the original bumph - some sad git has had it for 26 years and not used it. I shall obviously look after it, but it's gonna get used. It's cost me a mint and I'm importing it so I expect to get royally back - bottomed with the import duty. :(

Thanks. I hope it is! :D

It's unused in the box with all the original bumph - some sad git has had it for 26 years and not used it. I shall obviously look after it, but it's gonna get used.

(y)(y) Good for you on using it... there's nothing sadder than a shelf camera IMO :shake:

Minolta 7000 AF courtesy of Ujjwal, now looking for a decent prime to replace the ugly 35-80 silver lens it came with. 2800 flash in the corner.

Cameras_5.jpg

Just bought the Hi Matic AF on here for the princely sum of £5. By no means a stand out camera but a bit of fun for me to bring out with friends. Plus it just looks so slick...

Cameras.jpg

Running some Poundland ColorPlus 200 through it, looking forward to the results.

AF-M went for 2.20 + delivery and the internet went bust for me so I couldn't increase the bid !!! my max bid was 2.00 . stupid mistake ! :(

Oh ! I've got a Hi-matic as well. Neat little job and the flash is really good. I've only run 1 film through it so far and it seems to work really well outside.

Andy

just won a TVS II. Fingers crossed, it works ok. The one I got a few days back is being returned due to an issue

I realised that I'd never posted any images of the last toy I purchased (film camera wise) so here's a picture where I was trying to show the lovely film coating colour on the good old Jupiter 9.

5041832565_05aaeab8da_z.jpg

This is a lovely lens, and goes really well with my Summicron 35mm.

Can I change this thread slightly to "I have a new toy, now what the hell is it?"?

lbkTv.jpg

VzNgb.jpg

Back