OK then, let's see YOUR infrared images please.

Thanks David, IR is something I have wanted to try for a long time, so we will see what happens. I am probably too late for this year as most images seem to benefit from some lush greenery, but I will persevere. I need to find a good tutorial on processing to get the lovely blue coloured images, I have already found that it is not as simple as straight channel swapping. Mono's I am comfortable with, just need more practice with the IR images.

I am very impressed with Dervish99's processing, mono and colour, and also your colour images further up this page.

I am using the wb preset on the camera as set by the people who converted it (Fuji S5 Pro at 665nm). Maybe I should try setting a manual WB off the grass. I am also quite surprised how much exposure compensation (plus and minus) I have to apply, no two shots are the same!

Do you use Lightroom Dave? I could email you the white balance presets I used for that camera if you like.

That would be good, thanks Alan. Do your presets produce similar colours to those in Dervish99's images?

You might have seen these scenes before from previous IR tests, but these are from the 650nm conversion Ive decided to keep (and the 720nm is for sale in classified ads)

1- Blue Bridge
11776518944_5d40ee0b8b_b.jpg

2- Same area
11776879016_4466cb5969_b.jpg

3- and another
11776543024_251f33e919_b.jpg

4- A Cedar tree by Abington church

11776889766_1e1db6be80_b.jpg

and finally,
5- Abington Church long shot
11781063456_85b60ec129_b.jpg

Thanks David, got round to fitting the filter into the D70. Bit cloudy when we went to feed the ducks so tried to make the best of it...

Hmmm - I no longer have an IR camera but do have a Panasonic G1 getting little use right now. Might get the screwdrivers out tonight:)

couple of great shots Don

great pics Jamie, like the processing in bourne and lido

Got a Panasonic G1 on the way to be converted to IR.
I keep getting IR cameras and get bored of it quickly but then once I've sold it, I miss it so much!

G1 arrived today and straight out with the screwdrivers - it's now 760IR - just need some sun now:)

EDIT - didn't like 760nm so changed it to 685nm - like a little bit of colour in my IR and 760 was mono. Also the 685 filter is a much better fit - took a little longer making it this time:)

Last edited:
OK so what wavelength filters are people using here?
At present my G1 is 685nm and I also have 720, 760 and 850 screw in filters for different effects.
I am toying with the idea of changing the G1 to 640nm or even 610nm to get some more colour in there.

So there you are - that's mine - what's in yours?

I've just bought an IR filter (well ok, I confess, a bit of IR filter glass off of ebay for £3.50) because I want to give this a go on the cheap... Watch this space! :D

The G1 is now 640nm:)
I found when it was at 685nm if I put a 720 filter on the front of the lens, there was not much noticeable difference. Now with it at 640, the difference is very noticeable.
I can now use it at 640 with no filter or 720, 760 and 850 with a filter on the front of the lens - all at handheld speeds.:)
Quite a range from false colour to deep mono IR:)

It should have changed to 640 a few days ago but I slipped when cutting a new filter for it and scratched it so had to re-order some glass to trim to size:(

Quick test shot from earlier today - please excuse the lens flare, and yes that is the Christmas tree in the background!!!

Quick test from this morning

Last edited:
Another quick test from today - cant go much further than the garden for now for various reasons but got to get out soon - going crazy stuck in the house:(

Hey Simon - welcome to the IR world - best time of year to get into it with plenty of sunlight around(y)

I got bored again.
My G1 is now full spectrum:)

Just need to find a lower nm filter for it - I have 720, 760, 850 and 950 but I want something around 630.
Full spectrum is odd - get some really strange results with no filter on the lens - some colours come out normal while others that reflect more IR or UV show up very differently such as my black nylon camera bag is almost white (same as IR) with no filter attached.
Will get some samples up soon when I get out to drive a bit more.

I used to take alot of IR black and white and transparency years ago but unfortunately they have been lost after several house moves so glad to get back into it with digital

Hi and thanks.

I've got a Canon 40D converted to 665nm. Processing is just basic stuff and channel swapping. Seems to give best results with blue skies in the frame. I've not yet mastered getting good mono images from it. Any tips?

I just use the convert to mono in Photoshop, and tinker with the colour settings.

I always get a WB set on well sunlit green grass, looks like you have that sussed. Also, I use Khromagery in Photoshop for the channel swap, it makes it so much easier :)

Ah forgot about Khromagery. Changed machines and haven't got it installed. Must try and find a link for it.

Back