Olympus OM-D E-M10

What cameras have you used? I might be able to make a comparison but tbh this thing is smaller than pretty much everything besides a compact. Nice button placement though and I really like the thumb grip which a lot of CSCs don't have.
thank you mate
Fuji x10,x100,x-pro1 and xf1.
canon d10, 5dmk111
and canon film ae1p, a1 ,f1(in fact all of the a series). I think I might have to just bite the bullet, the only thing that's holding me back is Fuji! I do like them, but if the size/weight loss , inclu lens size is great enough that's not an issue
thanks again nik

Last edited:
thank you mate
Fuji x10,x100,x-pro1 and xf1.
canon d10, 5dmk111
and canon film ae1p, a1 ,f1(in fact all of the a series). I think I might have to just bite the bullet, the only thing that's holding me back is Fuji! I do like them, but if the size/weight loss , inclu lens size is great enough that's not an issue
thanks again nik

Size wise and weight its very similar to the X100s, but the X100s feels better in the hand (compared to pretty much anything Ive used and Ive used most CSCs), I do get on well with Fuji though. The EM10s dials feel a little cramped but thats because there are 2 on the top. Theyve crammed a lot of physical dials and buttons onto a small camera and after a week of light shooting I am getting used to it but it did feel a little odd at first. The big + for it is the thumb rest though, most CSCs have a poor thumb rest and it often means buying a 3rd party which gets in the way of dials.

I found the XP1 a little big and it feels massive compared to the OMD. I also felt the XP1 corners annoyed my hands a bit, they were a bit pointy but it was a lovely camera otherwise. DSLRs cant be considered because they feel even bigger than the comparison site suggests.

Best bet is to try one, but expect it to feel a little weird at first. HTH

Fantastic mate thank you for that. Much appreciated. Nik

SO how is everyone getting along with their em10's?

Not been able to get out much but did take few snaps in the garden with the 60mm Macro the other day.

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

well its arrived, 1st impressions are very, very good. I think this will work well for me but time will tell. need to spend a far bit of time learning the best set up etc.
here is a couple of snaps for you. the case is from a Fuji xf1 for scale
DSCF1009 by nik-o 2012, on Flickr

DSCF1007 by nik-o 2012, on Flickr

Really is pretty small then..hmmm..food for thought ( if I was thinking of dumping the d7000 of course ;) )

Really is pretty small then..hmmm..food for thought ( if I was thinking of dumping the d7000 of course ;) )
for me I think it will be fine as a dslr replacement but time will tell, the height of the body not including the dials or any lumps is almost identical to the xf1. its small but I am impressed how well it sits in the hand (not as ergonomic as a dslr but leagues better than any compact)

Obviously a full comparison against a camera is needed... :D

Looks absolutely gorgeous though.
I will try my best after ive used it a bit! it is a lovely classic looking camera-just smaller. it really reminds me of using a-series canons . I will try to add a few pics to my flickr asap. I cant take a lot as I am a bit sore still after having on operation so i am not able to get out a lot yet.(expect to see flower pics and dog pics:D)
Where did you get it from btw?
its an import -panamoz .

I meant side by side with the xf/dslr for size comparison rather than IQ.

Wasn't hdew cheaper? And what's the strap?

(Sorry for the 20 questions) ;)
hi mate panamoz wear about the same as hdew and I find them great to deal with, so went with them. I will try a shot on my mobile next to the xf but if you take the height of the xf it lines up height wise with the om10 body excluding dials and fake prism and its only a little wider, maybe about a cm,ish . it is deeper front to back but this helps a lot with hold. any questions ask away!

forgot the strap question sorry! its an op tech wrist strap. works well

How good is the IBIS on the em10? How does it work? Is it on all the time or just when you press the shutter? What are people finding the battery life like?
I think its just on shutter press, seems to be working well so far. Can't comment on battery yet mate but I've only charged it once and have been fiddling a lot

I think I'm going to go for a em10 :)

One last decision ! Is it worth paying £599 to get a uk copy or £555 to get a grey import ?

quick question - am looking at the EM10 and the EM5. The 5 seems popular but is that just because its older and therefore a little cheaper ?
only other thing holding me back is the ability to nail focus on motorsport ( the Sony A6000 seems to be best for this but limited lens choice )

the 10 has the newer image processer same as in the 1 that must be a good thing:D, unless you really need the weather sealing and there are not many weather sealed lens yet. I don't see the point in buying the 5 as the image stabilization seems fine on the 10. focus seems very good to me but how good for motorsport-no idea. I will try to take some pics of moving cars for you if this bloody rain stops.

I think I'm going to go for a em10 :)

One last decision ! Is it worth paying £599 to get a uk copy or £555 to get a grey import ?

Are these both with the same lens? Just becareful that the uk version isn't the normal 14-42 as if you come to sell it then the resale value won't be as much (I think) for the R lens over the EZ pancake zoom.

Damian, my initial thoughts in Jessops were that the em10 was definately more refined than the em5.

just trying to work out what i'd get if i sold my Nikon stuff, batteries, remote, Lee filters etc etc...

@niko - I'm in sunny Surrey

@minnnt - Yes, I saw that but with 27000 shutter count I think ? Mines got about 5800 or so

Are these both with the same lens? Just becareful that the uk version isn't the normal 14-42 as if you come to sell it then the resale value won't be as much (I think) for the R lens over the EZ pancake zoom.

Damian, my initial thoughts in Jessops were that the em10 was definately more refined than the em5.

Yes it's with the EZ lens...

35k ish i think. Not really an issue with a 150,000 expected life.

I think we have similar lenses although you probably have a few more bits than me and your 70-300 is Nikon rather than Tamron so you'd get a few extra quid for that. And your 17-50 doesn't have a chip on the front element. :LOL:

I dunno, i think it's just the look of the Olympus that appeals to me. I don't think weight is that much of an issue for me, although i do feel like i can't take it places sometimes for risk of standing out like a sore thumb like today. Although now i wish i had done.

I just need to make a decision on the body now...I've sold my Nikon gear and purchased the Olympus 25mm f/1.8 & 45mm f/1.8 lenses and also a nice strap. :oops: :$

Last edited:
Back