Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

.... Indeed! There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever about the very high quality of Canon's (and Nikon's and Sony's) supertelephoto lenses but the Oly/OM 150-400mm TC Pro is just as good, is lighterweight and so more enabling, and is more weatherproof backed up by international certification, all at a fraction of the price!

Everyone here is probably sick and tired of me waxing lyrical about the big white Oly zoom lens but I have used it weekly since July 2021 and still think it's excellent as do wildlife professionals. I know it's a lot of money at £6.5K but my whole retired life revolves around photography.

If anyone here is seriously considering it I have written an online review and have absolutely no vested interest.
I am interested in your review Robin and haven't heard enough of you waxing lyrical about it to be honest - but I don't dip in here as often as I used to. Where will I find it?

I have toyed with the idea of getting one but am a little put off by the size and weight,.... not to mention the price - might have to loan one, one day. Does anyone know the availability of them at the moment? Plus I couldn't justify still having a foot in the Canon camp I think, which I am still enjoying too!

I've ordered an OM 1 and sold some kit, but I will be at the back of the queue I think.

Box brownie posted couple of pages back
Note that Stewart (Lenses for Hire) has a 150-400 on his books.....

Perhaps for a specific need that is just maybe something I could justify hiring :thinking: but at £301 for 7 days

Last edited:
Good luck both of you in that it will ship 'on time' :)

PS though previously I thought that all shipments to both UK retailers and individual Olympus Webshop buyers would be shipping (from the German warehouse) on the 7th March :thinking:
.... That's my understanding too. OMDS have very clearly stated that the first batches of pre-orders will be shipped from Germany [where I understand they already are now] on Monday 7th March.

But because the UK is no longer in the EUthingy there is the potential for delays caused by UK Customs. So realistically, Friday 11th is probably the very earliest that retailers will have them ready to ship to customers.

Chris I have ordered from Clifton cameras could I ask when you order the camera may or nay not have a bearing on when mine will arrive

Ordered mine from Clifton cameras on February 24th fingers crossed I get it by end of March
My acknowledgement e-mail was 15/02/2022 at 0626am.
.... The date of your pre-orders is not as critical as how many others have already ordered and consequently are in front of you on the pre-order list.

For example, I am # 5 at my retailer and so need their first batch to be at least 5 units. They already have 30 pre-orders and so unless they receive 30 from Germany, some people are going to be disappointed while they wait until probably April.

I am interested in your review Robin and haven't heard enough of you waxing lyrical about it to be honest - but I don't dip in here as often as I used to. Where will I find it?

I have toyed with the idea of getting one but am a little put off by the size and weight,.... not to mention the price - might have to loan one, one day. Does anyone know the availability of them at the moment? Plus I couldn't justify still having a foot in the Canon camp I think, which I am still enjoying too!

I've ordered an OM 1 and sold some kit, but I will be at the back of the queue I think.
..... Thank you! My 'review' is more of a report and is here :

Hopefully it may answer some of your questions but please don't hesitate to ask me anything about this lens.

Regarding availability, it appears that this lens is still out of stock in the UK but can be ordered - I expect there will still be a waiting list. As I have had mine for quite a few months now I no longer try to keep abreast of delivery times. But I do know that the price has gone up about £500 since I bought mine.

I can't praise this lens enough, I shoot on average over 500 images every week on it and in all weathers. Image quality and performance remains constant regardless of the built-in TC being engaged or which MC-teleconverter is additionally mounted.

Robin

Last edited:
.... That's my understanding too. OMDS have very clearly stated that the first batches of pre-orders will be shipped from Germany [where I understand they already are now] on Monday 7th March.

But because the UK is no longer in the EUthingy there is the potential for delays caused by UK Customs. So realistically, Friday 11th is probably the very earliest that retailers will have them ready to ship to customers.
Agreed unless they have put in place an "under promise & over deliver" 'policy' ?:)

PS but being Germans maybe not a sales mantra for them :LOL:

Last edited:
W O W !!! My WOW camera *should arrive next week! :banana:

* But it's not guaranteed.... yet!

IMO an interesting and well balanced appraisal view of his anticipation & expectations and though, as he says of himself, he is not a wildlife photographer but can 'see' the benefits but obviously he emphasises what the new features will mean to his landscape photography.

It made for a nice read.......and his landscape photography ain't bad either ;) :)

Last edited:
.... W OW !!! That is an excellent read! A really well balanced and informative overview and not without any humour too. (y)

P.S. - @Box Brownie, when I wrote this I hadn't seen or read your post #25,172 yet! We both independently wrote "well balanced" so it must be true! :D
Absolutely ;)

As someone who tries not to shoot much that moves, I found this article illuminating and useful. It has made me want one of these. But I still have to get some experience with my E-M1ii, plus my pension (and/or my wife's pension) will not permit such a change. Yet.
Yet....you’re doomed..

Hopefully it may answer some of your questions but please don't hesitate to ask me anything about this lens.

Regarding availability, it appears that this lens is still out of stock in the UK but can be ordered - I expect there will still be a waiting list. As I have had mine for quite a few months now I no longer try to keep abreast of delivery times. But I do know that the price has gone up about £500 since I bought mine.

I can't praise this lens enough, I shoot on average over 500 images every week on it and in all weathers. Image quality and performance remains constant regardless of the built-in TC being engaged or which MC-teleconverter is additionally mounted.

Robin
Brilliant, thank you, and it's really good to hear you are so happy with it.
Yes I spotted the price rise :rolleyes:

I hadn't thought about attaching a teleconverter too - that must make framing the subject so tricky!

As someone who tries not to shoot much that moves, I found this article illuminating and useful. It has made me want one of these. But I still have to get some experience with my E-M1ii, plus my pension (and/or my wife's pension) will not permit such a change. Yet.
More likely to be costs associated with mr ras-putin

I hadn't thought about attaching a teleconverter too - that must make framing the subject so tricky!
.... Not tricky at all because the zoom is so smooth and only requires a quarter turn to cover the full range. The ED 100-400mm zoom ring does not work so well by comparison but to be fair it is 6x cheaper and very good value.

Depending what I am shooting I often have the 1.4x MC-14 mounted and engage/disengage the built-in 1.25x TC as needed. Partly due to large width of the lens glass the wider aperture values perform very well even when forced down to F/11 and beyond.

Just heard from LCE my WOW should be next week too, they are coming into LCE on Tuesday to then be disturbuted to the local shops for collections or deliveries for the pre-orders. Fingers crossed the wait is nearly over. :D

Robin
Thanks Robin for the review lady luck has played its hand today our other forum the E Goup someone kindly mentioned LCE had a 150-400 listed today it turns out it was a customers cancelled order pulled the trigger and the lens will be delivered on Monday Hopefully the OM1 will turn up this month as well

Now to sell the 300mm pro and the 100-400mm

Last edited:
.... Not tricky at all because the zoom is so smooth and only requires a quarter turn to cover the full range. The ED 100-400mm zoom ring does not work so well by comparison but to be fair it is 6x cheaper and very good value.

Depending what I am shooting I often have the 1.4x MC-14 mounted and engage/disengage the built-in 1.25x TC as needed. Partly due to large width of the lens glass the wider aperture values perform very well even when forced down to F/11 and beyond.
oh stop it. I want it now :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, such a short reach/pull/whatever it's called, would make a huge difference. I haven't tried the 100-400 and won't invest in that since I already have the 300mm. Because I am already invested in Canon too, I can't yet justify it...

Thanks Robin for the review lady luck has played its hand today our other Forum the E-Group someone kindly mentioned LCE had a 150-400 listed today it turns out it was a customers cancelled order pulled the trigger and the lens will be delivered on Monday Hopefully the OM1 will turn up this month as well

.... YAY!!! That's excellent news for you! I feel your joy! :banana:

I only hope you enjoy shooting with it as much as I do and look forward to reading your initial thoughts and also subsequent findings.

Of added interest is you shooting with the OM-1 mounted because that's exactly what I shall be doing. In my case I am booked on a flight on March 16th to Portugal to spend 13 full days doing nothing but photography and I really would like to take my pre-ordered OM-1.

My main, perhaps only, concern is how the OM-1 physically balances with the big white supertelephoto lens as I currently shoot a E-M1X and usually handheld and the physical balance is excellent. The HLD-10 Batttery Grip should help though.

With regards to the first wave of OM-1 supplies I am led to believe that it is not unrealistic to expect to receive mine next week as I am as high as #5 in the queue. But of course nothing is absolutely guaranteed yet. The HLD-10 Battery Grips and Dual Battery Chargers may come later but soon after, I am told.

Monday is OM D-Day!! when everyone should have a more accurate picture.

I sold my ED 100-400mm the very first day I advertised it on the E-Group forum but they were in very short supply at that time. I kept the ED 300mm F/4 Pro until very recently and never used it since having my ED 150-400mm TC Pro.

Last edited:
.... YAY!!! That's excellent news for you! I feel your joy! :banana:

I only hope you enjoy shooting with it as much as I do and look forward to reading your initial thoughts and also subsequent findings.

Of added interest is you shooting with the OM-1 mounted because that's exactly what I shall be doing. In my case I am booked on a flight on March 16th to Portugal to spend 13 full days doing nothing but photography and I really would like to take my pre-ordered OM-1.

With regards to the first wave of OM-1 supplies I am led to believe that it is not unrealistic to expect to receive mine next week as I am as high as #5 in the queue. But of course nothing is absolutely guaranteed yet. The HLD-10 Battery Grips and Dual Battery Chargers may come later but soon after, I am told.

Monday is OM D-Day!! when everyone should have a more accurate picture.

I sold my ED 100-400mm the very first day I advertised it on the E-Group forum but they were in very short supply at that time. I kept the ED 300mm F/4 Pro until very recently and never used it since having my ED 150-400mm TC Pro.
Hi Robin yes it will be interesting to see how it performs will it make me a better photographer? I remain sceptical but it's my hobby and I am on a downward trajectory with regards to health and I cannot take anything with me so I intend to enjoy my life while I can. Without sounding morbid your a long time dead rumour has it!!!

I have ordered the HLD 10 as well as the OM1 will be interesting to see how the 150-400 balances without a grip initially will feedback once I have all the kit in place Your real world matter of fact review helped to make the decision

Hmm...i pre-ordered on the day of release from SRS Microsystems (an Olympus Pro dealer) where I've bought pretty much all my Olympus gear from in the past, an I've heard nothing yet - squat :(

Thanks Robin for the review lady luck has played its hand today our other forum the E Goup someone kindly mentioned LCE had a 150-400 listed today it turns out it was a customers cancelled order pulled the trigger and the lens will be delivered on Monday Hopefully the OM1 will turn up this month as well

Feel a bit sorry for the chap who posted the wanted thread you got the info from.
Snooze you lose I guess albeit don't think he even had time for a brief nap
We all do what we're ok with I suppose.

Just seen that the OP was out taking photos whilst you blagged the lens.
Bad enough nipping in, but to then gloat is a pretty rotten thing to do.

Last edited:
Hi Robin yes it will be interesting to see how it performs will it make me a better photographer? I remain sceptical but it's my hobby and I am on a downward trajectory with regards to health and I cannot take anything with me so I intend to enjoy my life while I can. Without sounding morbid your a long time dead rumour has it!!!
.... No, we all know that camera gear doesn't make you a 'better' photographer but it can help you to unlock more of your potential in achieving the pictures you strive to achieve. As you suggest, life is not a rehearsal and is to be enjoyed as much as possible. I am the same as you - Photography is my serious hobby and main pastime (divorced and daughter grown up).

I have ordered the HLD 10 as well as the OM1 will be interesting to see how the 150-400 balances without a grip initially will feedback once I have all the kit in place Your real world matter of fact review helped to make the decision
.... Me too and the balance compared to my E-M1X is also my concern but the OlympusOMD Ambassadors are managing it without the battery grip.

It might be nice to pop off the battery grip if going out to only shoot with a smaller or the tiny Oly 60mm macro lens.

So I will be directly to blame if you don't like the lens! :D

"So I will be directly to blame if you don't like the lens"

Absolutely

oh stop it. I want it now :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
.... Tee Hee :ROFLMAO: Cue for a favourite song by Queen which I haven't played for a while - I Want It All, I Want It NOW!!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFDcoX7s6rE

Thanks, I enjoyed watching that!

Seriously though, such a short reach/pull/whatever it's called, would make a huge difference. I haven't tried the 100-400 and won't invest in that since I already have the 300mm. Because I am already invested in Canon too, I can't yet justify it...
.... Yes it's those little design considerations which can result in big advantages. You may have read it but I found a long interview with the Japanese design team (translated) specifically about their design goals with this lens and how the design developed over the years spent on the project. Being a retired designer (graphics) myself I could relate very directly to their processes and admire their ethos.

Last edited:
Just e mailed Clifton cameras as my order good news for some next week I shall be waiting a bit longer but good news for 16 buyers See below e mail from Clifton cameras

Thank you for your email and orders,

You are currently 35th in line for the camera. Olympus have said we are getting 16 next week, so although you are not in the first batch the good news is we are getting a decent amount. Much more than the release of the other brands we have experienced recently. They haven’t allocated for the batch after next week so couldn’t give you an date of delivery but will let you know if I hear anything.

Hmm...i pre-ordered on the day of release from SRS Microsystems (an Olympus Pro dealer) where I've bought pretty much all my Olympus gear from in the past, an I've heard nothing yet - squat :(
I bought almost all my Oly stuff from them back in the day - used to live 10 minutes drive from them - and they were usually one of the first dealers to receive stuff. Indeed I was no.1 on the pre-order list for the original E-M5. Great people but their comms was awful.

I can't remember reading that article, but I am very much a fan of things that function well - in any area, not just photography.
.... I have it bookmarked so here it is. It's long and in depth but based on what you are a fan of, I'm sure you will enjoy reading it.

But I can't apologise if it causes you to want it even more!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

@mazdaman Terry you may enjoy reading this too.

.... No, we all know that camera gear doesn't make you a 'better' photographer but it can help you to unlock more of your potential in achieving the pictures you strive to achieve. As you suggest, life is not a rehearsal and is to be enjoyed as much as possible. I am the same as you - Photography is my serious hobby and main pastime (divorced and daughter grown up).

.... Me too and the balance compared to my E-M1X is also my concern but the OlympusOMD Ambassadors are managing it without the battery grip.

It might be nice to pop off the battery grip if going out to only shoot with a smaller or the tiny Oly 60mm macro lens.

So I will be directly to blame if you don't like the lens! :D
You could always slap an AS body plate on and clamp a weight to it to aid the counterbalance??? ;)

You could always slap an AS body plate on and clamp a weight to it to aid the counterbalance??? ;)
.... The centre of gravity of the lens has been consciously designed to be in the vicinity of the lens foot which is where you should support the lens, never by the body, while shooting. That lens foot/handle is quite long and so allows quite a lot of tolerance in hand position. I doubt it will be a problem but it's something I'm just aware of and will assess when my OM-1 arrives.

.... The centre of gravity of the lens has been consciously designed to be in the vicinity of the lens foot which is where you should support the lens, never by the body, while shooting. That lens foot/handle is quite long and so allows quite a lot of tolerance in hand position. I doubt it will be a problem but it's something I'm just aware of and will assess when my OM-1 arrives.
Could not agree more..................but if you need to shift the CoG a tad.....you heard my idea here first :LOL: ;)

Back