Orange Caterpillar Parasite Wasp - Netelia producta

Edit My Images
No
Once again, out in the back garden last night. Windy, light poor (was probably about 30 minutes prior to my finding the spider shedding its skin). I spotted this little guy flitting about in the garden. At first I thought it was a micro moth but the orange colour caught my attention. When I managed to get closer, because this thing just did not stay still for more than a few seconds, I realised I'd never seen anything like it before. Quickly realised it was very much like the black ichneumon wasps (bit of googling got me the full name :))

I do apologise for poor composition and even bad focus but it was very flighty and wouldn't stay still. These were the best of a number of shots I managed to get. Having never seen such a beautiful colour wasp before, I'm accepting the flaws :D hehehe

ICHNEUMONIDAE - Orange Caterpillar Parasite Wasp - Netelia producta

(Once again, expanding the image will provide a slightly better quality one)

IMG5867.jpg

IMG5869.jpg

IMG5871.jpg

IMG5877.jpg

IMG5873.jpg

IMG5872.jpg

Last edited:
A crop of the first image. Almost looks like it has jewels on its head :).

IMG5867crop.jpg

Last edited:
Great selection of shots there. You dealt well with the conditions you were dealt!
I have seen one of these once before and wondered what on earth it was so thanks for solving that one for me!

can't believe you've not had more feedback than this Ian. I never shoot macro, but these are superb considering the conditions, with #4 being my standout favourite. (y)

Cheers guys. :)

hehe, I think the forum has been quite quiet today although my Spider shedding it's skin has become quite popular :). Still, it's a lovely little creature and I'm rather pleased it chose to pay a visit.

Last edited:
you did better here than you realise......considering that he was pretty lively you did well

Thanks again all, I'm hoping to see more of these :).

Nick, I've been out today too... natural light bees would you believe :D. The sun was rather pleasant today so left the flash indoors. I'll have a look at them later tonight when I get home from work...... at about 12:30am pfff!!! ;)

Nick, I've been out today too... natural light bees would you believe :D. The sun was rather pleasant today so left the flash indoors.

Well, I hope the sun wasn't too strong then (with troublingly dark shadows. Presumably specular highlights not a problem, it being bees).

I'll have a look at them later tonight when I get home from work...... at about 12:30am pfff!!! ;)

:(

But hope you've got some good ones to enjoy then.:)

I can only agree with the rest. You did really well with this lively little lady. Beautiful colours. Nice to have the ID too.

From a glance at the shots on the camera, no shadows and highlights seem ok.

Ps. Cheers Lars :)

Wonderful set Ian, difficult little blighter these aren't they?

Thanks DK, Alby.

DK, hehe, decent diffused flash helped ;).

Yes Alby, they don't stick around for long :)

Thanks Bison :)

Back