weekly overbez's 52 for 2013.... ** COMPLETE **

Reflection looks good to me.j like the width of it and the blue sky
Been trying for a similar shot but unfortunately can't find anywhere with the water so still and it's been so grey of late :(

blondie606;5906248 said:
well,you've managed a way better shot of a kingfisher than I ever have :LOL:

Never even seen one before that day - they're tiny.. and fast.. and colourful..

NickD;5906327 said:
Cut works well. Nice capture of the sparks, good comp, and the bare brick wall behind just fits.

Sweet is sweet. The sharp detail at the front, then how the dog just melts into the background. Lovely expression too.

Not sure about the Kingfisher... I just don't feel you've quite nailed the focus. You haven't got a D7000 by any chance??? :D

The bolder version of Live is a 100% improvement, and I loved the original. Creative stuff like that is beyond crit for me really, but I really like it.

Reflection's a cracker too, can't see anything I'd change. Good job! (y)

Cheers Nick, the dog in sweet is nearly falling asleep - funny that the click of the shutter was enough to wake her up again each time. First time I've gone really high on the ISO and I were quite impressed!

I knew I wouldn;t catch the Kingfisher - but the camera was in my hand and I just HAD to try!

Brian_of_Bozeat;5907495 said:

Easily pleased. :naughty: :LOL:

Dark Knight;5907580 said:
Hey Graham :)

Sorry, long time no Visit

Live - Hahaaaa love that, some great PP, very well staged and a great look :)

Reflection - Very nice reflection in the smooth water, a good sky, and liking the wide crop... and of course nice cows (y)

No worries Dean, It's going to be a hard push for everyone over the last few weeks. (y) Cheers.

siblingchris;5910250 said:
Reflection looks good to me.j like the width of it and the blue sky
Been trying for a similar shot but unfortunately can't find anywhere with the water so still and it's been so grey of late :(

As I said previously, I was out the four days before with grey skies and absolutely no luck... One thing about this theme is I think it's made me see the light a bit more, As in, if a shot wouldn't look good in a reflection, it probably won;t look good taken directly. A good theme!

Was going to have cheese on toast for lunch one day this week - but I didn't want to steal anyone's idea. (Brian.. :LOL:)

Can't decide if this stands up to the closer crop or not - shot with my 35mm f/1.8, so could have got a bit tighter with the kit lens.. :shrug:

or closer....

Hi Graham
Melt, it has to be the closer one for me, i think you could have got even closer heat allowing obviously

Another vote for the close up Graham, it meets the theme well.
Not much more to add, good work (y)

The close up works best for me, too. The tones are very nice! Different for the theme, too!

Bloody hell Graham, don't you know how to use any of your tools properly? - C'mon you, hand over your man card. :LOL:

I'd be interested to know your set up for this shot, shiney things are notoriously hard to light. The close up is better in my opinion, I think I would have kept the left edge as it was in the wider shot though. Great focus and processing.

Thanks to one and all. (y) Seems the crop is the preference - pretty good considering ISO 800 and a 100% crop. :)

Lighting was pretty simple / Heath-Robinson.... Window light from behind, and then an LED torch :eek: set just below camera left shining towards the iron. Camera on tripod, iron wedged in position, and then 2 second delay remote release, and feed in the solder. I did get some with smoke - but it was coming towards me (draughty windows??) so obscured the action.

I said it was likely to be Rally cars... and it is.......

"5 left past mad bloke with camera......"

"Bit of damage to the left......"

And..... "Not much of the day left...."

Think the metering got confused by the headlights on the last, hence the 1/4000 shutter.... managed to salvage something from the RAW though, not bad, again from fairly high ISO (1600).
SOOC here. And a few more on Flickr too. (y)

K left into 90 right and crest over enormous shoehorn :rolleyes:

Nice pics mate. Prefer number 2 (number 3 looks a bit static IYSWIM)

One thing to bear in mind on rally car shots, when I was rallying I always used to like the ones where I could see my face inside the car...

Thanksyou Brian..... It was always going to be a this is where the camera's going this week - it will be made to fit the theme!!

#3 will look static... 1/4000 tends to do that... found the lights on really messed up the metering, shame as I could have had the same exposure at 1/500 with lovely ISO200... Still, they should be back next year....

Few faces from the 2WD ones from the morning.....

Nice! I had a look through your flickr, not bad at all. :)

I nearly always use manual for this sort of thing, I can't bring myself to trust them metered modes!

Hi Graham

Have to agree with Brian :withstupid:
Number 2 for me, its hard for me to give crit on car shots as I have no interest in them, I have never even learnt to drive.
In some ways I like 3 better the sky is nicer which appeals more than the car, but because of the damage I will stick with 2.
Nicely shoehorned in though (y)

Hey Graham :)

I likey car shots... would love to try to shoot rally one day !!!!

I'm preferring the first, with the dust and stones being visible/kicked up, the 3rd is a close second for me, a small bit of movement in the shot would have pipped it to first above the first :D

Did you get any panning shots ???

Thanks Allan - don't understand all this "shoehorn" business. ;) All taken in the correct week - after the theme announcemnt, with a more than adequate link to the theme. *cough* :LOL:

I likey car shots... would love to try to shoot rally one day !!!!

Did you get any panning shots ???

Thanks Dean - best thing about this is it was right on my doorstep - within walking distance (almost) for me.

Went with the 55-300, and I enjoyed the long end for some of the faster ones, meaning I could get the shot and then turn away protecting myslef and camera from the flying stones... but found the 55 a bit too long for close stuff. Got plenty panning in at Brands earlier in the year so wanted to try fast stuff coming towards me. (y)

Hmmmm just spotted your Melt !!! not sure if that was on the Photo Only Thread either :thinking:

Thanks again - don;t think I did put this one in there. oops, and cheers!

Last edited:
Melt works well. A good idea, and nicely composed. It looks a bit noisy, which is surprising given how unintrusive it was in the dog shot, but it doesn't hurt the image at all.

If I was forced to pick a left it'd be #3. It maybe looks a bit parked, but the wider image, and the sunset sky gives it a really nice feel.

Cheers Nick... ref the noise... The crop on melt is a 100% crop, whereas the sleepy dog is uncropped (bar maybe a slither round a couple of edges), Didn't do any NR on melt either, (which I did do on the BG of the dog). I could have gone for a longer shutter (for melt), but the end of the solder was pretty shaky as it was... compromises compromises.

Wierd on the last rally car - shutter was sitting happily around the 1/500 till this one with the lights on came through and all of a sudden 1/4000 popped up. Should have gone manual... but I chose to fiddle with metering systems instead. and there were only about 2 more cars through after this one. hey.. ho. Quite pleased with what I pulled from the RAW file though. (y)

Hi Graham

Live - made me smile. Super idea and very well executed. Good colour throughout - like the b/g and the addition of the textures. Good PS skills (y). My only niggle - and it prob sounds pretty stupid, but it is strange how we all see shots slightly differently or something niggles us more than others - is that I would have removed the watch

Reflection - I did not see your kingfisher shot in the Birds forum :rolleyes:. At least you cannot be accused of just taking a bird on a stick.
#2 - good comp, colour and subject. Maybe a little dark as mentioned but i like the way that the tree on the left starts the shot and then the RH edge just opens out - makes me look across from L to R

Seems that i missed two - couldn't work out why from your last post but then i discovered that the new forum software had compressed the thread and imported a line which said something like 'More threads, click to see them'- not sure that I like that as it is easily missed if scrolling through rapidly

Melt - #2 is fave, Nice light , comp and subject
Like Allan (altho I can drive) photos of cars don't do much for me. Rally shots always look the same to me - speed, dirt flying about, colour - so that is why I prefer #3 as it is different - calm even - good sky and overall dusk feel. Looks like he's parked up to have a look at the map :D

Cheers Alan, Never considered the watch for my Live shot... I had many more concerns with how to actually put the image together in PS to be worried about that!

I did actually post up my Kingfisher in the "duffers" thread in the bird forum, which is where I had my ID confirmed. :LOL: Amazing the speed and colour of the little thing!

Week 45 - Food

Yum, yum, do we get to et the props... of course we do, so no chance of a re-shoot for these!

And if anyone's still hungry, there some honeycomb flapjack here! Although I have picked the pistachio's as I feel there's more interest with the shells and bits and napkin.

Hi, lefts, showhornsdae but the last one really works. Nice light int he sky and well composed.

Food, I could eat these nuts all day :) Well composed and great detail. They look a tad orange? Is the board white? If it is, a quick edit would makem white.

Good show.

Don't give up the day job Brian..... :LOL:

Andy, the plate is indeed white, as is the paper behind, I did take the WB off the plate in the foreground. Just tried resampling it and it doesn't change.. (not to my eye anyway)!.

Hi Graham
Food liking the composition and a good subject matter
Agree with Andy about the slight orange tint but it looks like whatever light source you have used

Brian has become very observant these days :LOL:

Still not seeing this orange tint.....

Top left is a crop from my shot, below that is the Pistachio image from Wikipedia. The shells of both are a beigey, light browny colour, as were the shells of the ones I ate photographed yesterday.

Top right is a crop of the Plate, from foreground, (deliberately held grey to separate it from the white BG), and bottom right is pure white (255, 255, 255).

What about the flapjack?? Shot under the same light and the same WB used when the RAW was processed???

5pnn.jpg

Hi Graham

Food - well it certainly is - or was. :)
I like the comp, with the pile of uneaten to the left and the empty shells to the right but I think that there are too many colours in the b/g - the white, the grey and the brown of the table top. Rather detracts from the image IMO.
Good detail and focus.

Like the others i am seeing a touch of orange on certain shells, partic those at the middle top of the LH pile where the right hand side of them 'glows' a little bit as if a tungsten light source is coming from the right. It does not show on the left hand nuts, from where I guess that your crop is taken. On the shot of the flapjacks, there is a similar cast on the front face of the middle one but this is not as noticeable because it imparts a warm honey glow to the cakes and this makes them more appetising in the shot. Actually I prefer the flapjacks shot as I think the detail and arrangement are good, and the loss of the napkin tidies the b/g up for me.

Alan, thanks for your super clear explanation - I see it now. (On the RHS of the rearmost one on the RH edge). :bonk:.... I think I did have the lights on in the room behind my right shoulder to try and fill some light into the shadowed area... maybe should have just used some white paper to reflect the daylight instead.

I've read about being unable to correct for two different light sources in the same image, guess this is the proof.

Glad you like the flapjack shot - sometimes simple is best. Oh, they've all been eaten too. :LOL:

Hi ya

Melt....#2 for me as well....the detail is good , angle for the solder iron coming in lhs & the position of the drop..sharp as well...like it :)

Shoehorned or not I'm liking those Rally shots....#1 for ,love the gravel dust cloud & you can see the occupants :clap: #2 looks a bit blue ? but a top car for sure

Food.....yum yum.....comments as per the others really , good placement , like crumbs...might have cropped out or cloned the small bit of darker cupboard (?) lower rhs ?

Edible props Graham, always a good choice :D
The lighting has been discussed but I don't think it's a biggy, it suits the natural colour of the shells.

I like your composition choice, from a relatively simple image, it tells a little story in itself. From whole nuts, to shelled and finally to the empty shells. It could easily be a product shot IMHO.

Hi guys.. thanks Lynne - I actually kept the table showing through in the corner to give the hint of the outline of the plate, as I thought with a white BG, and white plate filling the FG, there would be little evidence of the plate.

Thanks Iain, single light sources from now on methinks!

Week 46 - ART

Well, with me knowing precious little about art - and having zero skill in the artistic department - this was going to be a toughie..... Still there has to be a tick in each box at the end of the year, so we have to even do the tricky ones......

Taking (quite a bit of) inspiration from MC Escher,
Drawing Hands

Back