PANAMOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they managed to acquire stock cheaply in bulk before and all the cheap stock has gone now. Still doesn't explain their stupid price changes though.

As the importer, it would be you who Customs visit, not them.

Oh, who's that knocking on you door :)

I've nothing to worry about, never bought anything from them and don't want to drag the thread down that rabbit hole.

The price rises compared to their competition are such that it does suggest they want to avoid the spotlight for a while.

The price rises compared to their competition are such that it does suggest they want to avoid the spotlight for a while.

I was wondering this, it seems as though they really don't want to post anything. From an MFT point of view the only lens that was cheap enough to be really popular was the Panasonic 12-35mm, but they've just put that up by nearly £300, making it similar to UK prices.

I wonder if HMRC have started spotting their parcels, that would unravel their business model pretty quickly.

I wonder if HMRC have started spotting their parcels, that would unravel their business model pretty quickly.

If that's the case expect a pretty rapid "Rebranding" of the company.. :D

Just been browsing through various lens prices on the web and I'm surprised by the recent price rises at Panamoz. Last time I looked at a Canon 17-40 f4 it was listed at around £480-490 but around a week later it's listed at £631. Also the 7D is now listed at £830 when last week it was less than £700. Has something drastic happened after all the people complaining about how they import their gear.

Was looking to get an XE1 from them, last week it was below 800 now it is 909 I think. Will be getting it from Mathers shortly instead.

Oh my, was going to buy a Fuji XE-1 but price suddenly jumped by £60!!!

110£ since I looked... I was iffy from the get go and this is why I didn't buy straight away though I was quote a 740£ for BT!!. I'll get it from Mathers or SRS instead (though SRS will need to drop the price on it a bit, they are 150£ more than Mathers tsp)

Hows the pound doing against the hong kong dollar?? it does say somewhere on their website about prices fluctuating due to dollar prices or something.

Hows the pound doing against the hong kong dollar?? it does say somewhere on their website about prices fluctuating due to dollar prices or something.

Doesn't really seem a real issue (other than an excuse by Panamoz) as the other HK retailers like DR haven't put their prices up as madly as this.

To out it in perspective, they seem to be charging similar or even more one some items than some UK retailers who have to include 6.7% import duty and 20% VAT on their prices.

Last week I was looking at the Canon 35mm f2 IS USM for which Panamoz were asking £590. Now they want £816!!!!!

If that's the case expect a pretty rapid "Rebranding" of the company.. :D

Yes and a waving goodbye of every warranty (where international warranties don't apply)!!!!

Pile in with cheap prices, stir up some hype on forums, make a quick buck and back out rapidly by making themselves uneconomic.

I hope I'm wrong but it doesn't look good.

Barney

Being discussed in shopping thread.

Never thought to look TBH. I was just getting some price info for another thread in here and thought it looked a lot more than when I bought mine. I was just so surprised at the amount the gear had gone up.

Ahhh well...............The goose that laid the golden egg has flown and now it seems the halcyon days are over.

Is it possible the manufacturers are tightening up on the supply lines?

They already replied to someone in the shopping thread, due to weak pound. But the hikes are MUCH higher than the difference in currency drop, hence people speculating.

Yeah the exchange rate thing doesn't hold enough water i'm afraid.

The price rises mean that many of their products now seem more expensive than a UK/EU company.

For example (as of time of writing):

Nikon 24-70 Panamoz £1310 Amazon £1269

I know where I'd rather buy! The whole attraction of grey imports is price. Remove that and I'd go UK sourced products every day.

It makes no sense. Sterling has fallen a bit but certainly not by that much.

It's quite simple.

If they put the prices up, just wait until sales drop then they either shut up shop or reduce the prices again.

£ dropped against the $ again today

£ dropped against the $ again today

But surely a weakened £ is going to cause an increase to UK stock prices as well, doesn't seem logical it is only causing massive increases to certain grey importers only :shrug:.

Especially when they are evading 20% or 26.7% of the UK cost price :shake:.

Surely UK dealers do not import from overseas but buy stock direct from Canon UK, Nikon UK, etc. and so will be buying at whatever price they set. And those companies are big enough to withstand currency fluctuations to some extent. This may mean taking a hit when it is unfavourable, but offset by profiting from them when it goes the other way. They will also have stock in warehouses in the UK so any price hikes would only need to apply when new stock arrives.

I know in the case of Apple they add 10% to their UK prices in order to account for such things and allow stable pricing. They then readjust their pricing structure periodically if the pound rises or falls dramatically, or stabalizes at a different level. In the past this has seen British prices lower than US ones, after accounting for tax, when the pound has done well.

It would not surprise me if part of the reason British prices are usually higher than importing, even if you allow for tax, is because of a similar buffer added to cover fluctuations. Something small drop shipping dealers with no cannot easily do. And with no stock of their own they end up passing on the increases immediately. Which is the obvious counter to being able to pass on the savings when the pound is doing well.

OK I'm a little worried now as I returned my 32Gb iPad (expecting a new one as the old one kept restarting) and have not heard anything from them recently other than to confirm my tracking number which I did - I'm hoping alls ok but get that feeling all isn't 100%!!

Do Panamoz read this thread?

Well would be nice of them to keep us all updated with what's happening and they can let me know what's happened to my bit of kit :)

I remember I paid £1290 for my 24-70 mkii, which wasn't a half bad price!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back