PANAMOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
but seriously, i was going to look at a 17mm TSE from them, but i think i will now hold off the purchase as something not right here

but seriously, i was going to look at a 17mm TSE from them, but i think i will now hold off the purchase as something not right here

I agree, for them to up the prices so much its not just the £ to Yen or Dollar thing, its something else.
I was going to hold out for a week or so and see if things went back to normal but as they are out of stock anyway, and there is still the possibility that the others might up their prices soon i thought i shouldn't wait.

Last edited:
Just noticed the increased cost of the Nikon D800, if my memory serves me right this camera has gone up by near enough £300 in a week.

I was going to buy from them but will wait and see whats happening ??

I ordered a Canon 100mmL Macro from Panamoz at the beginning of January for £509 with BT. Today its now working out at £663 with BT!! It was fantastic service, ordered Monday and received on the Thursday.

So when I wanted to order my 5D I had no reservations about using them. Unfortunately it went out of stock. The communication though was really good as I kept asking them if they would be getting anymore in. They answered every email promptly. In the end I decided to go for the 5D Kit instead so via email in response to their request for confirmation of order I agreed to order the 5D Kit. This was on the 18th Feb. I heard nothing so sent a reminder on 19th Feb. I still haven't heard anything. I have consequently ordered from another site.

Before their Chinese New Year break I contacted them for an invoice for a canon 35mm f1.4. I heard nothing for a few days, then after several emails I finally had a response saying the they are now out of stock and don't know when they will get anymore.

Weird thing is still shows as in stock on their website, but now it's £120 more expensive and nearing the amazon uk price.

I figure they just didn't want to sell it me at the price they originally quoted, which is fair enough, but they could have been honest and just said so.

It's the sketchy / lack of communication that makes me nervous, not the price increases. I probably won't be using them in the future.

I think their stock/relationship with Canon may have been terminated as they may have been pricing the UK suppliers out of the market, even if we account for VAT etc. Also, their contact in the UK has effectively been processing returns that have arrived in the UK with no VAT and customs paid, maybe HMRC have been onto him. Secondly they've got an HSBC account in the UK, so have some presence in the UK for HMRC to get their teeth into.

I think their stock/relationship with Canon may have been terminated as they may have been pricing the UK suppliers out of the market, even if we account for VAT etc. Also, their contact in the UK has effectively been processing returns that have arrived in the UK with no VAT and customs paid, maybe HMRC have been onto him. Secondly they've got an HSBC account in the UK, so have some presence in the UK for HMRC to get their teeth into.

I think that the most likely is as you say that enough legit Nikon and Cannon dealers have complained to cause their supply to be cut. Either that or as I've previously said they are creating a very clean way of shutting up shop.......

"Due to lack of demand we're closing our site down, goodbye"

Barney

I wouldn't think that panamoz get there stock direct from Canon. Would guess they procure from other sources. Hence why we have seen a few serial no. Issue with suppliers trying to cover the source! I don't believe any of the HK suppliers are authorised dealers

I'm about to purchase a 60D. Was going to use Panamoz but their prices have increased from about £470 in January to £604 today which is the same price as Amazon!
I wonder what the reason for the price rises are. It can't just be currency or local price fluctuations when other sites' prices are stable, so wonder if it is a problem with Canon.

I'll now be placing my order with HDEW

I wonder what the reason for the price rises are. It can't just be currency or local price fluctuations when other sites' prices are stable, so wonder if it is a problem with Canon.

It's across the board, Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Panasonic etc, and far far higher than any market fluctuations. They could import some of the Oly lenses from UK retailers and still sell them back to us at a profit for less than they are currently charging for some of them!

I don't think it should come as a great surprise if they are winding down, the 'do it 'till we get caught' business model is hardly a long-term sustainable option, their UK arm was just a house for a start. That's what always made me nervous about so many people using BT to pay for goods.

Last edited:
That's what always made me nervous about so many people using BT to pay for goods.

Same here, by doing a BT the buyer is throwing away what little consumer protection they would have, while SoGA etc doesn't apply to Hong Kong dealers, at least by paying with Paypal gives you Paypal protection and credit card gives Section 75 protection.

With a BT payment you may as well send cash in an envelope for the protection you (don't) have.

Just got an email saying the iPad is out of stock and thery wiull refund the money I paid. advised I have a warranty that provides for a replacement item and will wait for an in[-stock item as every other store on the web has them so there shouldn't be a problem sourcing them.

I'd be bitterly disappointed if they can't provide what I bought. Will this be the same with other warranties?

I know there's a lot of rumouring, assumptions and guesswork going on here.. but has anyone actually failed to receive something they've paid for? Or not gotten a refund that was promised?

I know there's a lot of rumouring, assumptions and guesswork going on here.. but has anyone actually failed to receive something they've paid for? Or not gotten a refund that was promised?

Think it would have been posted up on here if there was anyone in one of those situations :)

However you could say that Jim (EOS JD) has not got what he paid for in buying the replacement warranty!

Last edited:
Just got an email saying the iPad is out of stock and thery wiull refund the money I paid. advised I have a warranty that provides for a replacement item and will wait for an in[-stock item as every other store on the web has them so there shouldn't be a problem sourcing them.

I'd be bitterly disappointed if they can't provide what I bought. Will this be the same with other warranties?

Have you considered the danger of agreeing to wait for a replacement and they then go out of business?

Quite a gamble with the current uncertainty.

Ok now this is scary. I paid for a sigma 35 1.4 over a month ago after I've been told that this lens is in stock. Then They emailed that there was a mistake and it is out of stock. So I have been waiting since hoping that it will be in stock soon. Now other stores have it in stock and they say they don't have it. I paid via BT and with all that stange pricing and theirs slow responses, I'm worried. I asked today for a refund and hope I will get it quickly. It's all very suspicious and doesn't make any sense... I mean by paing via BT if they decide to close the business I'm £480 short :(

Any news on this?

Given the wierd goings-on, you are a braver man than I. I'd have taken the money and sourced a replacement elsewhere.

I have been saving for a Canon EOS 7D body. A few weeks ago it was 780 Euros. Last week it was 884 Euros. Now it shows 1018 Euros. Think I will look at Onestop Digital who still have it for 788 Euros. Shame that the prices have escalated so much with Panamoz as they always seem to get the best feedback. Has anyone on here used Onestop Digital, and if so would you recommend them ?

I know guys Yes I considered that. Will wait for response then decide

Been in this situation before (different retailer) and lost out (I learnt a lot from that experience), get your money back while you can, if all turns out well just order another, main thing is you'll have your money either way.

Any news on this?

Yeah, just had email this morning saying that they sent the refund. Will check my account soon to find out and keep you posted. I don't think I will be using them again. Just ordered another lens from Digitalrev paid via paypal. No more BT from me :), too much stress.
Just wonder what will happen to my warranty for 5d mk3 i bought from them. It really looks to me like they closing the store or rebranding. Everything becomes very expensive and out of stock, like they don't want to sell anything anymore...

Couple of things I dont like about DR and OSD

OSD - dont cover FF or BF returns
DR - will refund but you need to pay return postage to them (around £60 insured for a lens)

Couple of things I dont like about DR and OSD

OSD - dont cover FF or BF returns

Am I having a blank moment?

FF? BF?

I'm sure it's something simple, but these just aren't computing ;).

I'm sure FF isn't Full Frame in this context.

Last edited:
I have never dealt with them myself,but get weary with anything from asia at extremely lower prices.The prices were not low they were unusually low.

Asian/chinese people don't have the best business practices put it that way.
I say this not being racist, but as someone who's wife is chinese and who goes there yearly.

My wife's father has a large business there and friends do business over there and they have no issue with making a quick buck then screwing everyone involved and running off with there money.

Thanks for the information regarding OSD and DR. To be honest the price on HDEW is not so bad considering you are dealing through a UK supplier.

Refund provided very promptly! The guarantee states

"We do have the right to decide whether we will replace, refund, or offer an alternative item, regarding the defective unit. Our warranty services do not apply to any product that has had its serial / IMEI number altered, defaced or removed"

Disappointed but now spending extra on a new one :(

Hope the 5D3 lasts now :)!

eDIT
Just purchased the 32Gb one on Amazon at £442 it was £54 more expensive but not too bad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back