reaction times

Name
pretty obvious really.
Edit My Images
Yes
This is not really a rant just an observation/question.
When sat at traffic lights or in a traffic jam and the lights change to green, why do some people seem to take a few seconds to realise whats going on before they set off, I'm sure others have experienced this the lights go to red/amber and the person in front just sits there looking at them, then green and a couple of seconds later they slip it into gear and off they go.
I know its only a few seconds delay but it got me to thinking, are they just in no hurry at all or does it actually take them a couple of seconds to figure out whats happening. If its the latter then I would be seriously concerned as to how they would react in an emergency situation like a child running into the road in front of them.

Last edited:
Incidents does not mean people.

Included in incidents of might be the once or twice in your life you have done the same thing.

It irritates me slightly, but I know I've done it.

There is now new highway code anyway. You have to give way to all merging traffic and traffic from minor roads, etc. It is no surprise you need to wait at the lights while green and only proceed when it turns amber. Don't forget to brake hard before any speed camera or motorway gantry even if you are driving well under the limit. Oh and finally never look into the distance and only observe the road no further than 10 meters or the first car in front of you.
It gets worse. Drive at 40mph everywhere. Somehow you still manage to leave braking too late into the bend and almost leave the road, and exit the bend dangerously too wide. Do not overtake cyclists or tractors. Tailgate all lories, or overtake them and brake test them.

I am really sick of these zombies

On the rare occasions I am in a queue at traffic lights, I am always seem to be stuck behind several of these people. Just as bad are the people not just start to move late but also do so at a crawling pace failing to accelerate so few people can get through the lights behind them.
My latest pet hate and it seems to be happening more and more are people who turn left into a side road and practically stop for no reason as they hit the apex of the turning.

My latest pet hate and it seems to be happening more and more are people who turn left into a side road and practically stop for no reason as they hit the apex of the turning.

That is relatively a reasonable scenario. Some numpties around Reditch and Worcester area forget their way back home and brake test the traffic before 5 or 6 consecutive turns-ins, then slow to a crawl and 100 meters later make the snail speed turn maneuver. These are becoming unbelievably common lately.

This isn't serious, is it? Please tell me this isn't serious.

Dave

Simples, they're on their phones.

Because not everybody wants to tear arse about and get away from the lights like its Santa Pod

Solution is simple, change cars to bikes and filter :D. I can't remember when I waited for anyone at traffic lights...

Solution is simple, change cars to bikes and filter :D. I can't remember when I waited for anyone at traffic lights...
Motorcyclists are just as bad. :)

Seen, been behind, etc of all the above.

IMO there is one overarching reason........everyone gets taught to drive but they know nothing of or learn "road craft". Having said that I suspect most of those drivers simply have no driving 'nouse' in other words they just have no idea that they are affecting other road users by their poor driving.

And that obliviousness to the presence of others is at minimum inconsiderate but in extremis down right dangerous!

If I can't see into the junction, I will pause a second or so before moving off. This is purely due to the increasing number of cockwombles who blatantly burst red lights. More common now than ever is people who seem to floor it on a late amber and hare through a junction with no regard for anyone other than themselves.

I still have a good look if I can see into the junction to ensure that everyone is stopped/stopping. You would not believe the number of accidents caused by nuggets blowing through junctions.

The Highway Code actually says that you must only proceed under a green light when the way is clear.

Add to that, people on phones, messing with radios, doing makeup and so on, it's a wonder anyone makes it home at night.

I'm no slouch behind the wheel, but the key is defensive driving! Be prepared for what the other numbnuts on the road are doing and drive accordingly.

If I can't see into the junction, I will pause a second or so before moving off. This is purely due to the increasing number of cockwombles who blatantly burst red lights. More common now than ever is people who seem to floor it on a late amber and hare through a junction with no regard for anyone other than themselves.

I still have a good look if I can see into the junction to ensure that everyone is stopped/stopping. You would not believe the number of accidents caused by nuggets blowing through junctions.

The Highway Code actually says that you must only proceed under a green light when the way is clear.

Add to that, people on phones, messing with radios, doing makeup and so on, it's a wonder anyone makes it home at night.

I'm no slouch behind the wheel, but the key is defensive driving! Be prepared for what the other numbnuts on the road are doing and drive accordingly.

I was taught that you should drive "as if you were about to meet yourself coming from the opposite direction...."

The way all too many drivers drive is like they are the only one on the road!

PS I suppose after 46 years of driving I have inevitably seen a lot!

Last edited:
I tend not to get off as quick with the auto park brake release on modern cars.

Reactions: BBR

I totally agree with what your saying its the ones you can see from behind who just seem to be staring into space with no clue as to whats going on. around them that worry me.
New paragraph.

Who else remembers the "Don't be an amber gambler" campaign a few years ago?

Who for that matter, has seen the lights go red & amber > green, and an artic ( other heavy and light vehicles are available ) come screaming across their "right of way"?

i take a while just in case some drunk or smacked up c*** jumps the lights

It's a bit like my TV..Some people go into 'standby' mode once they've been stopped at the lights for a few seconds. Then you have to press a button (the horn in this case) in order to wake them up again.

Had perfect example few weeks ago. One c**t going far too wide on country lane - and head on at nearly 40mph. Bike is cat B, but surprisingly I walked away with only bruises....

When people have to wait, for anything, they switch off. The same is true of customers queuing in shops.

If I'm at the front I always move off cautiously because I'm looking out for impatient buggers jumping the red light - maybe like the unpunctuated OP. Did you notice he wrote too fast to employ uppercase or commas and the slammed on the brakes unexpectedly with a double full stop ;-)

Are all the pedantic trolls happy now? Edited into paragraphs, double full stop removed, can we now discuss the issue?

Last edited:
Back