Daily ~Sam~'s 365 - one day at a time

Nice processing, although I think I'd have been inclined to move around a bit to get a bit more of the tree on the right out of the shot.

Oh that could make a really interesting star trail location, what's the access like to it??? I love the photo :D

it's in a public park in the centre of Loughborough so I would imagine all gates are secured at night.

This 365 is coming along very nicely. I like all the images so far.

Thanks for that! (y)

Lovely Sam! I know how you feel.... Sure is taxing lol

Thanks, T! (y) I think I'll have to plan where I am going to shoot each day so I at least have a starting point which (if it goes to plan) should make it less taxing! :)

Keep up the good work Sam ! once you get in the groove it becomes a groovy project !!

atb

Vince

Thanks, Vince :) I am still waiting for the groove, but am sure that you are right - when that feeling of 'have I bitten off more than I can chew' wears off I'm sure I'll start loving it! :LOL:

Nice processing, although I think I'd have been inclined to move around a bit to get a bit more of the tree on the right out of the shot.

Thank you! :) I will probably revisit this at some stage and hopefully with a little more time (although I'll have to contend with trees with leaves then!). There are a few trees around the building and I was trying to avoid a lamp post and people so that one had to stay! :)

Great start Sam with great shots :) Looking forward to the rest :)

O.K., so today I popped along the road to a local small pond. Sadly, no Flamingos, Herons, Whimbrels or Eurasian Spoonbills....no, we have ducks (a lot of ducks...many, many ducks...the kind of common-seen-everywhere ducks you could shoot at any pond). Exciting, eh? :LOL::LOL:

Ducks on Martins Pond (365 Day 5) by ~sammi~, on Flickr

Look just like the ducks I get to take at our local lake as well Sam :D Great shot though :)

Look just like the ducks I get to take at our local lake as well Sam :D Great shot though :)

I know - they're SO original, aren't they? :D It's a toss up between this and another and I went for this because I'll just go mad if I keep thinking about this project too much! :wacky::D

They may just be ducks Sam but sure havnt they still got great colours and you don't know what their personalities are like until you spend a while with them and get to know them? They might be really really nice ducks! Anyway , keep up the good work and don't worry about the challenge as a whole too much. One day at a time!

Phil

it's in a public park in the centre of Loughborough so I would imagine all gates are secured at night.

Councils spoil all the fun :( today's photo works really well (y) they look like clones :LOL:

They may just be ducks Sam but sure havnt they still got great colours and you don't know what their personalities are like until you spend a while with them and get to know them? They might be really really nice ducks! Anyway , keep up the good work and don't worry about the challenge as a whole too much. One day at a time!

Phil

In fairness to them, they did look like very nice ducks - and I got talking to an elderly gentleman who comes and feeds them every day. He was telling me that during the week they get very hungry (not so much at the weekend when people bring their kids and grandkids to feed them) and they come over to him and follow as he walks up the side of the lake. Apparently, if they are very hungry, they don't just swim up, they fly and get there in preparation for for his arrival! :)

the ducks look great and so colourful ...good image

Thank you! :)

Councils spoil all the fun :( today's photo works really well (y) they look like clones :LOL:

Councils are fun suckers, but I guess they have to prevent some of the 'fun' that we wouldn't find funny? :thinking: Lots of naughty people about.

Thank you for your feedback for my ducks, me duck!!! (that's a local term of endearment BTW!!!!....normally only heard from old people, OMG let that not be me!! :eek:)

Good luck Sam....
Are you keeping your camera with you at all times?
You never know when in the day your 'shot' might appear....

I am these days - it's getting out to let the shot to appear that is the problem! :eek: I am now dragging my briefcase (big one on wheels) handbag and camera bag into work! I have also been thinking about an SX40 or 50 to be more of a carry-about (not just for this, but in general as I am less of a techy-tog and more of a just take the shot I like person!!)

Well, it's a nice shot for something you're not very happy with. I sometimes think that we are our worst critics tbh :shrug:

Well, it's a nice shot for something you're not very happy with. I sometimes think that we are our worst critics tbh :shrug:

I think we are - I don't tend to share a lot on here as I am a bit of a 'take a photo I like and feel happy with' person, so to put it out there for everyone else to see and critique (even if only in their own mind) is not something I tend to do too much so I get nervous about posting to the 365 sometimes, especially when I see the amazing shots others post.

I am happy with the suggestions and feedback I have had in this part of the forum so far and as long as I learn from it, am happy to receive it!

Totally agree with this...(y)

Sweet ducks Sam and nicely vibrant!:clap:

~Sam~ said:
I think we are - I don't tend to share a lot on here as I am a bit of a 'take a photo I like and feel happy with' person, so to put it out there for everyone else to see and critique (even if only in their own mind) is not something I tend to do too much so I get nervous about posting to the 365 sometimes, especially when I see the amazing shots others post.
I like what you've posted so far & the thinking/circs behind them. I haven't had my camera or computer the past couple of days & been just grabbing some iPhone shots - and have been nervous/embarrassed about posting the past couple of days as not very good. But I decided it was better to post something.

I like the ducks shot. I've lots of photos of ducks - I like that they stay still!)

OOPS!!!

Thanks for your comments, T & Lynn.

Lynn, I've enjoyed your photos and you don't have anything at all to feel concerned about! :)

Last edited:
Very nice image, my only critique is that you took it on the wrong day! Shoulda saved it for the 22nd ;)

Very nice image, my only critique is that you took it on the wrong day! Shoulda saved it for the 22nd ;)

:thinking::thinking::thinking:
I know I'm going to end up kicking myself but.....why? Is it National Duck Day? :shrug:

So, I did a list of ideas last night. It only included one as I thought I knew what I would be doing today. Silly me. So, random walking around, muttering to myself and at least a dozen very bad attempts later, I saw another lost soul just hanging about..............

325/ Day 6 by ~sammi~, on Flickr

Now, to show how desperate and random I have become, this was the other contender............

Abstract!! LOL by ~sammi~, on Flickr

See, no real 'plan', no real focus, no real prospects!! I am not good at still life, my house has NO god light for some reason and we are renovating so most walls are not exactly lending themselves to BG! SO.....back to creating the list and committing to carrying the camera about!! :D:LOL:

To all of you who are in this, pat yourself on the back each and every day yu take a shot! (y)

Sam are you living in my house? are you my long lost twin sister because reading that was like reading my own head lol!!......:D:D

YOU need a pat on the back i love the jug :clap::clap: also adore the second thats lush!...

Catching up Sam, and really impressed with your last few shots. The shot you took as you ran out of work and back in again is a little corker, and like the use of the border too. Nice colour on the ducks too and loved the lone jug shot, nice details. That abstract too is really nice, love the colours....hehehe your getting cocky now, 2 shots in a day ;)

I too like them both - just you wait, randomness is good. As is abstract.

Sam are you living in my house? are you my long lost twin sister because reading that was like reading my own head lol!!......:D:D

YOU need a pat on the back i love the jug :clap::clap: also adore the second thats lush!...

I am living in your back garden - hope that's OK with you!:LOL:

Thank you for your comments, I am so glad you like them!

Catching up Sam, and really impressed with your last few shots. The shot you took as you ran out of work and back in again is a little corker, and like the use of the border too. Nice colour on the ducks too and loved the lone jug shot, nice details. That abstract too is really nice, love the colours....hehehe your getting cocky now, 2 shots in a day ;)

Thank you - and not so cocky (at least I hope not with no reason to), just so different photos that I may not be able to replicate later! ;) I am random and have to take the opportunity when it comes my way :)

I appreciate you looking at my photos - thank you!

I love the jug (y) great lighting on it, that said do discount the randoms, I think that is actually a really effective photo (y)

Matt

Aw, thank you - I was walking around the back yard (we can't really call it a garden yet) and getting so frustrated! That bloody jug has been out there for years and never served any real purpose, so it was time for it to oay it's rent! :D

San I actually like Abstract!!!

and I'm patting away lol !

Thanks, Vince! And thank you for the pats - we all love them!! I do anyway!

Great jug and liking the colour in the abstract

Thank you so much!

I like the jug & the abstract!

Thank you as well..........

The abstract was me getting really p'd off at having no imagination for anything and I leant against my car.........decided to just fire off a shot or two pretending I new what I was doing. They turned out more interesting than I thought they would!

Last edited:
I too like them both - just you wait, randomness is good. As is abstract.

Thank you - I am starting to see the benefits and beauty of random and abstract.....I tend to be (instinctively) more of a 'go out there into the outdoors and see the shot' rather than a creative type in the sense of still life etc. That's kind of what excites me now about this 365 adventure....trying things I don't instinctively do!

:thinking::thinking::thinking:
I know I'm going to end up kicking myself but.....why? Is it National Duck Day? :shrug:

Ever played Bingo? There's a famous call for the number 22. "2 little ducks; quack, quack" Maybe the game's lost it's charm now it's all gone online.

Anyway, I like both contenders for today's image. I like the jug particularly and how it almost looks like a monochrome image. Roll on tomorrow!

love them both and know what you mean about 'what should I do???'

Ever played Bingo? There's a famous call for the number 22. "2 little ducks; quack, quack" Maybe the game's lost it's charm now it's all gone online.

Anyway, I like both contenders for today's image. I like the jug particularly and how it almost looks like a monochrome image. Roll on tomorrow!

At least it makes sense to me now!

Thank you for your comments.

OK, does anyone else feel as bad as I do today? :crying:

Woke up this morning and felt a little queezy (how do you spell that word?) and by the time I came home felt like I'd been hit by a train - I swear, my skin hurts, my head hurts, my muscles hurt, my stomach hurts and even my bones ache. :thumbsdown::shake::shake:

So....I am sorry for not posting comments on anyone else's threads today. I promise I will tomorrow.

So, given that I now feel like death warmed up, maybe today's is appropriate! I went to the local church at lunchtime - would have spent more time, but there were a lot of people arriving for a funeral and I just don't think it's right to be wondering around with my camera when that's happening (I will revisit another day).

365/Day 7 by ~sammi~, on Flickr

Taken in colour and converted to B&W as I felt it brought out the textures more effectively. May take another look tomorrow and change a little.

That's a cracker of a shot Sam... hope you feel better soon x

Back