setups and shots with home studio setup Thread

Heres my home studio which is in my kitchen, the backdrop is 2.3 metres wide to give you an idea of space, it's a tight fit but works to a degree

home.jpg

Hi

I noticed you have one of your smart flashes on a metal arm coming out of a wall. I've been looking for some thing this for a long time. Can you point me in the right direction to get one of these?

Many thanks

Chris

Last edited:
cardiff_gareth said:
Are you shooting on vinyl flooring or adding the reflection in post production ?

I use the vinyl train and a piece of Perspex.

Clear Perspex mate. Watch out for the 2mm thick stuff, it cracks very easily.

2mm.

All my flashes and triggers are yongnuo's there sound, ideal to begin with...

For the money,, you cant get better ,,, cheap as chips and they work really well

Last edited:
Here a a few pictures along with the lighting set up for a shoot that I did in my living room this week. The key light used was an Elinchrom 750s fitted with a beauty dish and diffuser mounted on a C Stand angled at 45 degrees to the model. The second light used was an Elinchrom 500 fitted with a honeycomb grid and barn doors used to light the razor wire background and behind that is a Nikon SB26 slave speedlight fitted with a red filter gel to give a slight rim light to the model and finally behind that is a Lastolite black velvet background to make the background jet black. The model has a silver reflector used from below to put some light back in under the chin. On the C Stand is an Ipad which receives almost instant pictures from The Nikon D3 fitted with an eye-fi card so I could view the pictures on a large screen as I went along.

Cheers Rob

My Mrs ,, is in for a shock ,,, i want this setup :LOL: ,, WOW

I was asked to take some picture for a family friend of there daughter so she can have them printed for xmas presents here are some examples all shot im my lounge with a combo of studio strobes (lencarta smartflashs) and speed lights (yongnua yn 460II and Canon 600 ex-rt), i had to pump the iso up to 200 so i didnt have to fire the speed lights on full power all the time.

IMG_9280 by GR3Z, on Flickr

IMG_9394 by GR3Z, on Flickr

IMG_9466 by GR3Z, on Flickr

IMG_9581 by GR3Z, on Flickr

IMG_9610 by GR3Z, on Flickr

IMG_1339 by GR3Z, on Flickr​

Last edited:
Excellent shots Graeme!

Is that a vinyl/paper/cotton BG? I've been considering a BG for a while but can't decide on which type. My current thinking is that a White/Black double sided vinyl would offer the best bang for buck. Also, how big is yours? it looks very long in that pic.

Thanks
Aled

That's one long lounge. Great results. The coloured cups in the first image look odd to me without shadow..?

Just my opinion though!

Lovely shots Graeme!

You have an amazing wooden floor! Use it for your white background stuff. It's so much nicer seeing your subjects grounded by the floor than continuos white! I wish we had a wooden floor down and not a carpet! :( :LOL:

Excellent shots Graeme!

Is that a vinyl/paper/cotton BG? I've been considering a BG for a while but can't decide on which type. My current thinking is that a White/Black double sided vinyl would offer the best bang for buck. Also, how big is yours? it looks very long in that pic.

Thanks
Aled
Thank you, Its artic white paper i think its 2.7 x 11 long although it wasnt completey rolled out. best off asking Mank think he uses white and black vinyl combo.

That's one long lounge. Great results. The coloured cups in the first image look odd to me without shadow..?

Just my opinion though!

Thank you, must admit was a little more shadows before pp but not much, i struggled to get a decent blend on the shadows on the cups, as for the lounge it was a pano off my iphone so looks longer, although its not a bad size 9x5m (y)

Lovely shots Graeme!

You have an amazing wooden floor! Use it for your white background stuff. It's so much nicer seeing your subjects grounded by the floor than continuos white! I wish we had a wooden floor down and not a carpet! :( :LOL:

Thank you rob,

Yes the wooden floor definatley has its uses, ive put blood and sweat into that floor it was stained red rosewood and then had diamond glaze varnish on it, it took me a week to sand it back bare then re-stain it, never thought of using the floor and white paper bg combo not sure how i'd get a decent separation between paper and floor suppose i could use some skirting board.

Last edited:
Some great updates here. Love this thread!

johnphotographer said:
As a photographer with only a speedlight this has got me looking on Ebay for a reasonably priced set.
Thanks.

There are plenty decent sets cropping up in the classified section which you can access once you meet the criteria. Beware of some of the rubbish on eBay.

Never used it so cant really comment. The 1 thing that struck me was the item description didnt mention a built in fan. Studio lights heat up big time and cheap fanless versions have been known to go on fire. As in everything you get what you pay for.
Just some thoughts.
John.

i Am looking to doing a bit of studio work at home and looking onto a light setup :D Without looking through all pages on this thread has anyone used this set up ????? seems a lot of gear for not to much dollar (y) Or any similar products for similar price ????

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/900W-Flash-Kit-Photography-Lighting-Studio-Strobe-Light-/180679316515?pt=UK_Photography_StudioEquipment_RL&hash=item2a11539423

I've got that kit, to be honest, its a great place to start and don't believe the hype or bad vibes certain people here put out about kits like this. Sure enough they ain't professional quality, you won't get ongoing customer care or spare parts but if you get the bug you'll probably move on to better things.
I've never had a problem with the monoblocks heating up to the point of ignition lol that's just silly. Sure enough the modelling lights get hot, their halogen what do you expect, but even your normal 40 watt household bulb gets too hot to touch, hell! The enlarger head in my darkroom gets hotter than these lights!
Just make sure to not leave the modelling lamps on too long with any grids or gels attached and your golden.
You will get the obvious "Ahhh but its stepless" or "modified sine curve" or some other light geek put downs but honestly they are good for the cost.
I've had mine two years now and they have been trouble free.

Simon photo said:
I've got that kit, to be honest, its a great place to start and don't believe the hype or bad vibes certain people here put out about kits like this. Sure enough they ain't professional quality, you won't get ongoing customer care or spare parts but if you get the bug you'll probably move on to better things.
I've never had a problem with the monoblocks heating up to the point of ignition lol that's just silly. Sure enough the modelling lights get hot, their halogen what do you expect, but even your normal 40 watt household bulb gets too hot to touch, hell! The enlarger head in my darkroom gets hotter than these lights!
Just make sure to not leave the modelling lamps on too long with any grids or gels attached and your golden.
You will get the obvious "Ahhh but its stepless" or "modified sine curve" or some other light geek put downs but honestly they are good for the cost.
I've had mine two years now and they have been trouble free.

Can you get replacement bulbs for them?

Pleased with the outcome bar a few shadows, needed a bit more light from the front I think! C&C welcome.

Flat light is FAT light (so we're always advised)
Shadows are what makes an image interesting and gives form and shape. Just make sure thje light is in the right place.

What are the catchlights? A reflective brolly looks like the main catchlight in both and is that a reflector to camera left? I think the main light could go up a little and the reflector below the chin just out of shot.
Still nice though

Last edited:
dwb11 said:
after leaving the hilite to collect dust in spare room i decided to set up today and give it a go.

3 x lencarta smart flash - 2 for hilite and 1 with octabox

these are the results SOOC, not sure I am happy with them tho ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90913252@N06/8255217518/
untitled (1 of 1) copy by dwb1980, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90913252@N06/8254143639/
untitled (1 of 1) by dwb1980, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90913252@N06/8255217102/
untitled (2 of 1) by dwb1980, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90913252@N06/8255216730/
untitled (3 of 1) by dwb1980, on Flickr

All hints and tips greatfully received!

I think with a little bit of PP you'd have some keepers there!

How do people find the fit of the trail on the Highlite?

What a fantastic thread, thanks to everyone for giving me some great idea's! Looking into getting my own setup now, bank is not gonna love me!

Heres my home studio which is in my kitchen, the backdrop is 2.3 metres wide to give you an idea of space, it's a tight fit but works to a degree

home.jpg

Hi

I noticed you have one of your smart flashes on a metal arm coming out of a wall. I've been looking for some thing this for a long time. Can you point me in the right direction to get one of these?

Many thanks

Chris

I'd also be very interested to know where that came from!...anyone?

Back