weekly Severn Bore's 52 in 2014

Really liking strong, #1 for me for same reasons as others have suggested

#2 I think is better in colour, but perhaps a bit more contrast and saturation (or at least bringing the yellows and browns out a little more) would make it 'pop'

Two very different but equally brilliant images. I love the very differentness of them actually and how in the 2nd picture, the texture of the bug compliments the texture of the leaf. Well Captured.

#2 for me. Nice contrasting tones, good detail, nicely composed.

Don't forget to add a like to here in the No Comments thread (y)

Cheers.

Hi, both good for the theme the beetle wins for me great sharp pic and some great contrast between the bug and the leaf

loving the texture, definitely on theme. The first has great detail, really crisp and great lighting certainly made something everyday very interesting!!!

Hi Andrew

Love that shield bug , it's color contrasts well with the greenery & captured the texture in him perfectly :clap:

The sage leaf I do like but not quite as much as the bug :)

Hi, I like the rose of the two of them though it could do with being a little brighter, but great detail
the sky looks a little over processed

Thanks for comments. My sky aimed to be a take on the style of Ansell Adams.

Andrew... that sage leaf is exceptional - I love the detail and pop from the black background. I just want some garlic, butter and spaghetti and I'm in heaven! (Which would tie us into the dream theme...)

I like Wild Skies the best for that theme - I love the drama of the sky and your shot captures it well.

Not a massive fan of the PP for dreams... I hope you don't mind me being negative on that. Perhaps I'm just wanting more sage leaf!!!

Dream - two cracking images I am not even going to attempt to crit this. as I am impressed with both images and, I couldn't even begin to attempt anything as good as what you have done. :clap::clap::clap: Excellent work and very fitting for the theme.

Texture - Two super images this week. The texture of the leaf really pops out. Nicely composed and the slight reflection helps gives the subject a grounding. The bug is a superb macro shot. The saturation is spot on and positioning of the bug is just right. Nice shot.

Wild - Unfortunately I feel these two images aren't as strong as the Wild bug above. The lighting on the flower is maybe a tad flat to make it jump out.

Dream - The car isn;t working for me I'm afraid although the doves (white pigeons to me LOL) seem to work better

Hi Andrew

as soon as I saw the Dove I liked this image...you've blended them really well with the clouds (y) But I do think you've over done it a smidge......I feel it might have had more impact with just one dove on the left hand 3rd maybe ?
ing a smidge

The car is also well done , tricky to blend but you've done a great job ( bar a little smudge of red in the cloud just behind the car)

Really cracking idea Andrew :clap:

I rather like Dreamy #2, interesting take on the theme. Crit, just some of the wings are semi transparent.

Vertical, LOL, cracking idea and well taken. Give him tbe bone...give him the bone :)

Cheers.

Hi Andrew,
A very nice image of a dog rose, I like the composition and the dof(y)
wild skies, very wild, I think the black and white adds to it(y)

Agree!

I'm not a fan of the dreamy photos. That said, I think you've done them really well, they're just not my cup of tea.

I think your Vertical shot is really good. It's very well timed and framed and it has a great idea.

Lovely shot! I realise he's twirling rather than looking up at anything, but the picture without commentary makes me wonder what he's looking at outside the frame...

Maybe a PP possibility?!!

Thanks for comment. There might have been a biscuit on a stick out of shot......................or, possibly a bit of judiscious use of content aware fill in PS to remove my wife's hand holding a biscuit!

I rather like Dreamy #2, interesting take on the theme. Crit, just some of the wings are semi transparent.

Vertical, LOL, cracking idea and well taken. Give him tbe bone...give him the bone :)

Cheers.
Thanks for the comment. The fading of the wings was deliberate to enhance the dreamy effect, but it is, of course all a matter of taste.

HI, love the gooseberry pic, great colour and light (y), gorilla also a good strong image for the theme

Andrew - both great shots for wild! Very difficult to pick between two very different photos and both have a lot going for them. I'm going to lean slightly towards gooseberries but it's marginal.

Gorilla crit - the grass in front of him is very slightly distracting for me, but otherwise bang on.

Berry crit - some of the stalks look OOF which is odd because the hairs don't!? The two branches bottom left are very slightly distracting but not much to be done there... and it all pales into insignificance when you look at the whole shot with the colours, detail and light. Lovely!

Andrew - both great shots for wild! Very difficult to pick between two very different photos and both have a lot going for them. I'm going to lean slightly towards gooseberries but it's marginal.

Gorilla crit - the grass in front of him is very slightly distracting for me, but otherwise bang on.

Berry crit - some of the stalks look OOF which is odd because the hairs don't!? The two branches bottom left are very slightly distracting but not much to be done there... and it all pales into insignificance when you look at the whole shot with the colours, detail and light. Lovely!
Hi
Very much appreciate your comments, but would they be different if I told you the pics were supposed to represent Yummy rather than Wild?

Doh! That's what I get when I try to comment on too many threads - I go loopy! :)

For some reason I typed wild when I meant yummy - sorry for confusing... I guess both could apply to wild as well, but they work better as yummy. Now, where did my brain go?

Doh! That's what I get when I try to comment on too many threads - I go loopy! :)

For some reason I typed wild when I meant yummy - sorry for confusing... I guess both could apply to wild as well, but they work better as yummy. Now, where did my brain go?
Hi Paul
You have my sympathy. I share your experience, although I even get confused when I am dealing with the simplest things!
Incidentally, I think the stem of the gooseberry was OOF due to some overenthusiastic cloning to hide a distracting light spot. Am just recovering from a cataract op and my close vision is still a bit blurry!
Andrew

Back