weekly Severn Bore's 52 in 2014

Good work on the focus stacking Andrew (y)
As Lynne said, it looks like a snake, bang on theme too.

Ho, #1 for me. Good detail and I quite like the quirky frame. Seems to have a slight blue cast or maybe need a little more contrast.

Cheers.

love the way the dew drops have balled up - just holdig themselves onto the flowers.

its a no, on the inner frame for me though, it just draws the eye away from the flowers

Hi Andrew ...the dew on the flowers is beautiful, sorry not keen on the frame, I don't think it needs it. But I really like the second one too, when you zoom in close the texture and colour in the 'knot' as the new leaves emerge from the tree along with the bright freshness of the leaves and the bark ...it's really smashing, great choice for the theme.

Definitely #2 for me. Great detail, lovely mellow colours and a slightly different take on the theme (y)

Liking the flowers, not so much the border effect though I'm afraid. The tree trunk I think seems to dominate the other shot from what I think you had intended as the subject... Perhaps moving cw round the tree would have given a better viewing angle?

Thanks for all comments on my Fresh entries. I take the point about the border on the forget-me-nots.
Here is my Shape effort - unless, or until I can think of something more inspiring!

Week 19-Shape.jpg by SevernBore, on Flickr

Hi, Shape. On theme and well lit with no harsh shadows. I've colours and good exposure.

Crit, well, not keen on the composition. I suspect a getting in closer, to focus on some of the bananas curves, maybe with some side lighting?

Cheers.

I like the idea Andrew, using the apple and banana gives a good contrast in the two shapes, it looks well lit, good colours (y)

I'm with Andy though on the composition, plenty of other options there :thinking::)

Like them. B&W works well with the metal and is nice and contrary.

Pity you didn't have some clouds for a nice long exposure. This would have contrasted well against the lines of the sculpture.

Cheers.

Hi All
Thanks for all of the comments on my Shape efforts. Much appreciated.

Hi Andrew,
Shape... the first sculpture one for me, like simon the hole adds to the shape theme :)
Numbers... Beautifully done, I agree with Susie the stained glass window adds to the overall picture the words are well focused(y)

Shape ... nice pair of images depicting a very shapely object.

Numbers ... well thought out with that BG.

HI Andrew

Fresh....I like the frame , a bit different from the norm but not distracting , love how you caught the water drops (y) I'm still thinking about the bg color....I think to make it really work it needs a bit more light on the flowers ?

Shape....the upwards inside view is a corker , possibly needs a little more contrast but I really like the flow of the curves :clap:

Numbers

The placement of the book to include the stained glass window works really well , good focus , well lit & well, I just really like it :clap:

Hi sorry for not calling in sooner its hard to keep up sometimes, really like the sculpture shot an interesting shape indeed
the bull certainly strong think I prefer the second of the two, I hope you didn't get too close I find cows quite scary let alone bulls

Hi Allan and Susie
Thanks for comments. I agree about the second shot. I wanted a head-on shot, but he would not oblige! The pics were taken in colour, but I thought the B&W style gave extra strength to the shot. Rest assured, there was a sturdy barrier between me and the subject as I am now at an age where I could not have even tried to outrun it!:banana:

Good subject for strong Andrew, 2nd image for me too (y) Would like to see the colour version......:thinking: I might have been tempted to crop a bit off the top and down the right, putting its head on the thirds, that would give it more space on its left to look into :)

Hi Andrew, good idea for Numbers - I hadn't seen that you'd posted that shot! Or else I wouldn't have done it for mine! I like the stained glass window in the background for some background interest. It's a v traditional setting.

I agree with Phil regarding the subject of your strong shot - great idea. I think I like the first of the two, but I can't decide. I think the first shows more muscle.

Action - #3 for me. Well caught action shot with the focus on the eye

Mono - Not keen on these I'm afraid. White vignettes don't usually do much for me. Without them a panoramic of the central part of #2 would work well.

Twisted - Interesting piece of wood. It almost looks like a snake.

Fresh - #1 is the better although the border isn't adding to the image. A bit of a PP boost would help also

Shape - The mono shape entries are great. Lots of interest in the shapes being made. What are they?

Numbers - I like this one. Nicely lit and clean although there appears to be a few stray widths of pixles around the edges.

Strong - I prefer #1 due to the motion of the subject

Numbers - is a bit to tight in the frame for me and doesn't wow me.

Strong - a nice take for the theme I like the colour version off the bull, nice and bright colours and the composition is good and you can see the muscle definition on the bull which is good to see.

Thanks for the comments including the comprehensive ones from Peter. I must be more careful with my selections (Numbers) as he is a real "hawkeye". The shapes are a tall tower sculpture in Gloucester, which in my view does little to enhance the cityscape, but does provide interesting photo ops.
Andrew

Yes, I have to admit Andrew, I do prefer the cropped colour version, the bull contrasts well against the yellow of the buttercups(y) cheers :D

Back