Shooting

Personally I think its just wrong to take the first two pics..

second two very simmilar.. different..

You say that, but it's interesting to see it from the hunted's point of view!

You say that, but it's interesting to see it from the hunted's point of view!

yeagh must be a frightening sight for a lump of clay to see :)

Nagh.. its not good IMHO but I can see where some would like it.. I have photogrpahed clay pidgeon shoots and you would be thrown out and banned for the above ...

Nagh.. its not good IMHO but I can see where some would like it.. I have photogrpahed clay pidgeon shoots and you would be thrown out and banned for the above ...

No you wouldn't, as long as the gun was broken to show it was empty first, under the right circumstances it quite acceptable. How do you think correct gun mount is checked ;)

Didn't mean to offend Kipax... apologies if you were...

I made sure the gun was empty before taking the first photo... Profile pic for his FB page if you get what I mean and I wanted that depth of field feel to it...
I'm sure there are some who like it... My son certainly did ;)
And you can clearly see that the gun has been broken as Phil has said and that the barrels were empty before the last, pardon the pun, "shots" were taken...

No you wouldn't, as long as the gun was broken to show it was empty first, under the right circumstances it quite acceptable. How do you think correct gun mount is checked ;)

And again you choose to completely ignore me :LOL: As far as I'm aware you have no reason to, please feel free to say if you have, unless you just don't like being wrong, its quite funny really :)

Last edited:
Back to the photo's :)

First shot, for me Colin, could have done with a slightly different pov, stepping to your left so we were looking straight down the rib instead of down the right side of the gun would have worked better, good shallow dof works well though (y)
Second, like the idea, did you take one with the chokes as a focal point instead of the fore-end? Swapping the position of the guns and emphasising the extended chokes might have give a bit of contrast :)
Third and forth, I agree with Kipax;), both very similar ,again, shallow dof good I do prefer the composition of the last (y)

Phil, I understand what you are saying. Shooting instructors do this to check how their pupil is mounting the gun, which is critical to hitting targets with a shotgun, but they are experts and these photographs send shivers down my spine. I've been shooting for most of my life and wouldn't take part in something like this, either posing with the gun or as the photographer, because it violates every rule I was taught and all my instincts. Far too many people have been shot with 'unloaded' guns. Up to the people concerned I suppose..

"Never ever point a gun at anyone" my late father taught me...................and he also used to say " Never stand in front of a shooter or behind a s***ter!":mooning: He was a legend.

But back to the photos...the first one doesn't quite work as its not running dead true down the sighting rail I'm afraid. Did you try it with the focus point down the end of the barrels at all so you could see the spiral effect that usually happens in shotgun barrel manufacture. Its not as defined as rifle/pistol barrel rifling "twist" but it sometimes more obvious in different gun manufacturers.

"Never ever point a gun at anyone" my late father taught me...

'Never, never let your gun
Pointed be at anyone.
That it may unloaded be
Matters not the least to me....

You may kill or you may miss
But at all times think this:
All the pheasants ever bred
Won’t repay for one man dead'

Mark Beaufoy (1902), written for his son.

Phil, I understand what you are saying. Shooting instructors do this to check how their pupil is mounting the gun, which is critical to hitting targets with a shotgun, but they are experts and these photographs send shivers down my spine. I've been shooting for most of my life and wouldn't take part in something like this, either posing with the gun or as the photographer, because it violates every rule I was taught and all my instincts. Far too many people have been shot with 'unloaded' guns. Up to the people concerned I suppose..

Hiya Martyn, I didn't say that it was acceptable to whip your gun out of its slip and stick it in some ones face :)

What I said was, as long as you have an empty broken gun and every one is aware its empty, dry mounting a gun to inspect some ones gun fit is quite acceptable. I would be happy to do this at any clay shooting club/ground I've been to. You don't have to be an instructor either to inspect some ones gun fit. Kipax @KIPAX said that for doing it you would be asked to leave the ground and be banned, this is incorrect, well it is at any ground I've been to unless, he would like to inform me of a ground that would :)

And for any one that says they were taught not to point a loaded at any one, my thought would be this. If you needed to be taught that, you should never, ever be aloud near a gun in the first place..........no one had to teach me ;)

so you could see the spiral effect that usually happens in shotgun barrel manufacture.

I'm a little confused here Robin, I've never seen any 'spiralling' down the bores of a shotgun, isn't that why they are called a smooth bore? :)

I'm a little confused here Robin, I've never seen any 'spiralling' down the bores of a shotgun, isn't that why they are called a smooth bore? :)

You cant feel the spiralling,but I'm sure on my Browning 12 bore that I could see the spiral effect. Maybe I've just got a bad memory from 25 years ago.

I think even if you pointed an unloaded gun at anyone on a game shooting day you would be asked to leave very quickly. I went to a few impromptu clay shoots a long time ago,and health and safety was pretty lax to be honest. People carrying guns over their shoulders and never being put in a sling was commonplace. I even saw a guy rest the butt of his gun on the top of his foot and rest his hands and chin on the end of the barrel.:eek::jawdrop: Now I'm not saying that there aren't some very well organised dedicated clay pigeon clubs,but they do seam to forgo some of the etiquette found at driven pheasant shoots for instance. Then again you still get some plonkers going there who think money = class. It doesn't!

Colin,could you find someone at the club with some more ornate metalwork with "gold" inlay's etc to give the focal point a bit more interest and have another go at photo similar to 3 & 4?

You cant feel the spiralling,but I'm sure on my Browning 12 bore that I could see the spiral effect. Maybe I've just got a bad memory from 25 years ago.

You can see the spiralling in a damascus barrel, and the short section of rifling at the muzzles of a H & H Paradox and similar guns made by other manufacturers, but neither of these explains what you remember. I can only imagine that it was some combination of the stresses in the steel left over by the manufacturing/finishing process and/or oil in the barrels and light reflections?

Last edited:
Kipax @KIPAX said that for doing it you would be asked to leave the ground and be banned, this is incorrect, well it is at any ground I've been to unless, he would like to inform me of a ground that would :)

;)

So your saying at a proper shoot.. you could stand in front of someone who points a gun direct at your face just so you can take a picture and nobody would bother? (forget about the proof of not loaded.. we all take it as read that its not loaded) OK banned might be a bit strong but you get my jist.. it wouldn't be allowed... and quite rightly so..

So your saying at a proper shoot

This made me smile......what's a proper shoot? :LOL: I'm not aware of any other type ;)

OK banned might be a bit strong but you get my jist

Well at least we're getting somewhere and you've admitted you 'might' have been wrong about getting banned ;) .......and yes I got your 'jist' but your 2nd post was typical tabloid sensationalism over reaction :rolleyes: :D

it wouldn't be allowed

Now all I have to do is educate you on this bit :p I'll say it again, yes it is allowed, as long as it was done in the correct way, yes I would stand in font of someone dry mounting a gun, pointed 'in my face' and take a picture......as long as it's all done in the correct way, I would not be ask to leave. If I had any doubts that it might cause concern I would clear it with the owners of the ground first ;)

And just for the record (obviously I could be lieing :rolleyes:) a good friend of mine that I shoot clays with every week, is a registered CPSA trained safety officer :)

Last edited:
The OP obviously has no clue about the first thing regarding guns. NEVER POINT A GUN AT ANYONE LOADED OR UNLOADED.Seems to me he is a complete idiot who should not be allowed anywhere near a gun let alone hold a shotgun

This made me smile......what's a proper shoot? :LOL: I'm not aware of any other type ;)

Aren't you? Driven v rough shooting would be one example, 'proper' being used to signify organised as opposed to one man and his dog type thing.

Aren't you? Driven v rough shooting would be one example, 'proper' being used to signify organised as opposed to one man and his dog type thing.

we are talking about clay shoots not rough,game or vermin :rolleyes:

grow up :(

jeeze

no what you should do is get off your high horse for 5 minutes...... condescending :(.

:banghead::banghead: You win :p life's too short
notworthy.gif
.......and I really can't be ar*ed :LOL:

I have a firearms licence and would never stand in front of a gun loaded or not and I would never allow anyone to stand in front of my gun! When I joined my shooting club this was the first thing they said, if you ever walk in front of a gun or point a gun at anyone for any reason you will be asked to leave.

Sorry trying not to be negative!

Ignoring the first two shots for obvious reasons, I think that the third and fourth shots could have been improved by using a slightly smaller aperture and getting the action of the guns pin sharp.

I have a firearms licence and would never stand in front of a gun loaded or not and I would never allow anyone to stand in front of my gun! When I joined my shooting club this was the first thing they said, if you ever walk in front of a gun or point a gun at anyone for any reason you will be asked to leave.

Sorry trying not to be negative!

Totally different situation and circumstances Rikki, please don't ask me why, if you have a FAC, I shouldn't have to explain it :)

Whilst having or checking a shotgun mount/fit, its quite acceptable to point the gun as in Colin's image above whilst some one else looks down the barrels, as long as its done in the correct way its perfectly ok...........how many more times :LOL:

I can only presume that there isn't one single person that's replied to this thread that's either bought a gun from a RFD/ had a gun fitted or mount checked.....they can't have. simple as that.....if you have please speak up and tell me another way

How about you give this bloke a ring and tell him what you think, see where that gets you ;) (See image below) and here's a link to his web site http://www.perazzihpxshotguns.com/professional-gun-fitting-service/

Now before anyone starts with the 'he's a professional, he knows what he's doing' bit, gun mount can be checked by anyone that knows what to look for. Also note this, taken from the web site

' I can not get it perfect until I shoot the gun on clay targets and believe me, I get it very close in the workshop. So in a nutshell, it can ONLY be done correctly, on a shooting ground'

Do you get my jist now @KIPAX , ;) (note the smiley, they're inserted to try make a post a little more light-hearted and not condescending, but how you interpret them is up to you :p) so as you wrongly stated in post #4, you would not be thrown out and banned,

This is why I find Colins image acceptable, it doesn't 'send shivers down my spine' , I presumed full precautions had been taken, so didn't see him as an idiot, like some @realspeed

Gun-Fitting-Image by Phil Dyson, on Flickr

Last edited:
I presumed full precautions had been taken,
And that's the point isn't it? some assumed that this has been carried out, others assumed that it had not.

I'm not coming down on either side here, but I saw a programme on gun fitting years ago, Holland & Holland I think it was,
the shooter was "made" several times to prove to himself and the gun fitter that both barrels were totally empty, and that included inserting two fingers into the barrels a few times,
before aiming at the gun fitter, right between the eyes.

And that's the point isn't it? some assumed that this has been carried out, others assumed that it had not.

I'm not coming down on either side here, but I saw a programme on gun fitting years ago, Holland & Holland I think it was,
the shooter was "made" several times to prove to himself and the gun fitter that both barrels were totally empty, and that included inserting two fingers into the barrels a few times,
before aiming at the gun fitter, right between the eyes.

But why on earth would we think full precautions had not been taken? By thinking that means that we wouldn't be thinking very highly of Colin, why would we want to do that? ;)

Besides, your missing the main point here :p , you would not be banned for doing this at a shooting ground as long as its done in the correct and proper way! ;)

Last edited:
But why on earth would we not think full precautions had not been taken? B
As I said, I'm am on the fence as I don't know the full facts of the (image) shoot.
All I know is that there are reports from time to time of people being shot with "empty guns".

Besides, your missing the main point here :p , you would not be banned for doing this at a shooting ground
I must have missed the post where it was suggested that he be banned from the club.

Admittedly, having not read through this entire thread, I have to be honest, with no offence intended, these images make me really uncomfortable, especially the images looking down the barrel. Whilst I am not against shooting for sport, I think taking images of looking down a barrel is irresponsible, not so much on behalf of the photographer, but of the person holding the gun, who would point a weapon at another person, regardless of it being loaded or not.

Admittedly, having not read through this entire thread, I have to be honest, with no offence intended, these images make me really uncomfortable, especially the images looking down the barrel. Whilst I am not against shooting for sport, I think taking images of looking down a barrel is irresponsible, not so much on behalf of the photographer, but of the person holding the gun, who would point a weapon at another person, regardless of it being loaded or not.

Hiya Bethy, I appreciate that you won't be the only one to not read the whole thread, but I did feel that after certain OTT post and a lot of over reaction, the way forward would be to try to tell people, that looking down the barrels of a shot gun is a very important part of gun mount and fitting. Its something I've seen and done (at both ends) hundreds of times :)

Last edited:
But why on earth would we think full precautions had not been taken? By thinking that means that we wouldn't be thinking very highly of Colin, why would we want to do that? ;)

Besides, your missing the main point here :p , you would not be banned for doing this at a shooting ground as long as its done in the correct and proper way! ;)
A club may or may not ban you ... depends on their club rules but you can bet your arse that if his firearms officer sees it he most likely will be banned ... from owning a firearm/shotgun.

Hiya Bethy, I appreciate that you won't be the only one to not read the whole thread, but I did feel that after certain OTT post and a lot of over reaction, the way forward would be to try to tell people, that looking down the barrels of a shot gun is a very important part of gun mount and fitting. Its something I've seen and done (at both ends) hundreds of times :)
Fair enough, Phil. It was just my two cents worth. I respect what you say. :)

Back