Show us yer film shots then!

original.jpg

Both images taken with a Bronica ETRS on Portra 160

That's bloody gorgeous.

Two images from Skye.

The first from the Fairy Glen, a wonderful place full of strangely ridged hills and a natural 'castle' on top of a hill.

original.jpg

The second image is from a much photographed location. Looking down on the 'Old man of Storr'. This was taken just around sunrise and involved an hours climb in the dark with a headtorch.

original.jpg

Wow, #2 is spectacular. Well worth your effort. Print it BIG and hang it up.
The light is mesmerising, composition spot on. Just Brill..

Wow, #2 is spectacular. Well worth your effort. Print it BIG and hang it up.
The light is mesmerising, composition spot on. Just Brill..
It certainly was worth the effort, fantastic shot.
That's an outstandingly beautiful image, I feel like I'm standing right there next to the camera. Gorgeous. :)

Thanks all. Unfortunately the digital shot is even better:( Then again there's just something about film:)

Two images from Skye.

The first from the Fairy Glen, a wonderful place full of strangely ridged hills and a natural 'castle' on top of a hill.

original.jpg

The second image is from a much photographed location. Looking down on the 'Old man of Storr'. This was taken just around sunrise and involved an hours climb in the dark with a headtorch.

original.jpg

Beautiful images, particularly the second one, the light is fantastic!

I had sort of stopped shooting 645 but you are producing some very strong works of advocacy for this format!

What a fantastic gallerie of shots to view after an absence of a few weeks due to a house move etc.........some fantastic work, including a shot of myself ( fortuanatley from a distance!! Thank you Richard!)

Far too much to comment on individually, something that will hopefully change now that i am back on here and can find a little time to offer some feedback.

As one can imagine, ive hardly had a moment to take photos however seeing as I've now had my "new to me" LF monorail sytem for a little while, I naturally had to try it out.

A couple of quick test shots, pretty much to ensure the bellows, lens/shutter and seals are good and of course to bring the standard of this thread back down to "Asha" level:D

What easier way to test than to set up litterallyjust outside my front door and grab the scenes.

Far from creative etc but a taster of what is on my doorstep:

1. Uninhabited building at the "end of the garden" :

View attachment 11784

2. Across the valley towards the Italian border:

View attachment 11786

What a fantastic gallerie of shots to view after an absence of a few weeks due to a house move etc.........some fantastic work, including a shot of myself ( fortuanatley from a distance!! Thank you Richard!)

Far too much to comment on individually, something that will hopefully change now that i am back on here and can find a little time to offer some feedback.

As one can imagine, ive hardly had a moment to take photos however seeing as I've now had my "new to me" LF monorail sytem for a little while, I naturally had to try it out.

A couple of quick test shots, pretty much to ensure the bellows, lens/shutter and seals are good and of course to bring the standard of this thread back down to "Asha" level:D

What easier way to test than to set up litterallyjust outside my front door and grab the scenes.

Far from creative etc but a taster of what is on my doorstep:

1. Uninhabited building at the "end of the garden" :

View attachment 11784

2. Across the valley towards the Italian border:

View attachment 11786
Asha, good to hear from you again, hope the house move all went well. Looking at your location I must say I am a tad envious! Nice shots of a stunning landscape.

In the light of my recent purchase I decided to re-scan some of the shots I took in Canada with the original Fuji GW690. This one had a lot of dead space at the top and not much going on of interest down below (where've we heard that before? :rolleyes:). Originally on Ektar but I thought it might convert to a contrasty b&w... any thoughts?

Blackcomb1-b&w by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Cheers

Andy

It works for me Andy, it is an epic looking landscape and the mountain filing the frame looks like strong composition to me!

This may sound heretical but is there any chance of seeing the digital one in a different thread or something? This one is so spectacular the digital must be unbelievable.

Sure thing. Heres the thread

Last edited:

Great shots there,but,as you say there is just something about film. To be honest the digital shots are very good indeed and capture the light and feeling of the scene extraordinarily well.

Last edited:
Nice to see something different Mart..I have so many of these Cokin type filters but never got around to using most of them.

Hi Brian,
Star Burst filters were over used at one time and became unfashionable, and the last thing you think of when you see a picture opportunity is "would this shot look better with a filter on"! but on the right subject I think they still look good, so dig them filters out of your bag and give them a go. I know you can't see results straight away on film like you can with digital, but if you take one with and without a filter at least you haven't ruined the picture if it does not work out!

I am alive and have finally got round to getting some (old!) films developed. Please excuse the age (and quality) of some of these!

Some with my Rollei.

0514 Pan F 6x6-1.jpg by menthel, on Flickr
Exposure was shot but as I fiddled with it I like it more! Pan F.

0514 Pan F 6x6-4.jpg by menthel, on Flickr
Great textures. Pan F.

0514 Pan F 6x6-11.jpg by menthel, on Flickr

The light in this one makes it for me. Pan F.

Canon Eos 30 (I think)
HP5+ 0510-26.jpg by menthel, on Flickr
Got to love the British Museum and some of their lighting! HP5+.

HP5+ 0510-22.jpg by menthel, on Flickr

More BM. HP5+.

And then a bunch of miscreants!

0515 Acros 100 6x6-11.jpg by menthel, on Flickr

Hi Brian,
Star Burst filters were over used at one time and became unfashionable, and the last thing you think of when you see a picture opportunity is "would this shot look better with a filter on"! but on the right subject I think they still look good, so dig them filters out of your bag and give them a go. I know you can't see results straight away on film like you can with digital, but if you take one with and without a filter at least you haven't ruined the picture if it does not work out!

Well I suppose I should use filters more as I've accumulated 58 over the years, anything from vignetting to ND and for B\W :eek: but quite a few are duplicate skylight filters for different lenses.....but I suppose these days you can replace many filters using Photoshop.

A
View attachment 11856

Coking Plant oven push at night time in Barnsley taken on a Bronica ETRsi with a 50mm lens and a 4x star burst filter on to Portra 400 film.
A very striking shot. Mart, I am not sure about the starburst filter but I do love the colours and the real sense of the industrial. Some really nice 645 work appearing in this thread recently.

I am alive and have finally got round to getting some (old!) films developed. Please excuse the age (and quality) of some of these!

Some with my Rollei.

0514 Pan F 6x6-1.jpg by menthel, on Flickr
Exposure was shot but as I fiddled with it I like it more! Pan F.

0514 Pan F 6x6-4.jpg by menthel, on Flickr
Great textures. Pan F.

0514 Pan F 6x6-11.jpg by menthel, on Flickr

The light in this one makes it for me. Pan F.

Canon Eos 30 (I think)
HP5+ 0510-26.jpg by menthel, on Flickr
Got to love the British Museum and some of their lighting! HP5+.

HP5+ 0510-22.jpg by menthel, on Flickr

More BM. HP5+.

And then a bunch of miscreants!

0515 Acros 100 6x6-11.jpg by menthel, on Flickr
Jim, a really nice eclectic set. I particularly love the grain in the first, the pano works really well I think.

I like that Dave, my only thought is that the little bush just keeps drawing my eye away from the water, I think without it you have a winner. I am not suggesting that you go back and chop down the bush though.... :D

have two from the Gower south wales im waiting on the provia trannies to be processed so this is the few i shot in neopan 100 on the gw690ii

14044722199_fe1c3bfa37_b.jpg

14044721509_230653b0dd_b.jpg

Not gonna develop again til I got myself a thermometer, pretty sure the grain/blown highlights have come from the chems being too hot? These have come out alright though :)

Photographica 2014, London by Tom Horton Photo, on Flickr

London by Tom Horton Photo, on Flickr

London Eye by Tom Horton Photo, on Flickr

Brick Lane, London by Tom Horton Photo, on Flickr

Really liking the Photograhica and 2nd London eye shots. Lots of lovely grain.

Andy,not sure about 1&2,but the last three are just so very good,composition,light and content are very good indeed and of course ektar is such a wonderful film that matches the the camera,s qualities so well. #3 and #5 are outstanding in my book,WELL DONE MATE.

Do not forget,when you sell my first refusal please.:)

Great post andy.

Not gonna develop again til I got myself a thermometer, pretty sure the grain/blown highlights have come from the chems being too hot? These have come out alright though :)

Photographica 2014, London by Tom Horton Photo, on Flickr

London by Tom Horton Photo, on Flickr

Tom, it's is actually quite a nice effect! Really like the first shot!. I have had a similar effect with Fp4 when I had the Developer at the right temperature but the stop and fixer were just too cold, so it was the temperature differential that I think caused the problem for me!

Last edited:
Well I knew my Vivitar 24mm f2 @ f2 has a highlight glow flare, so thought I'd try it for a blue bell shot.....h'mm well it's different using Agfa Vista;)

Really liking the Photograhica and 2nd London eye shots. Lots of lovely grain.

Cheers Nick, the 2nd London Eye shot is probably my fave. Brick Lane was a nice place for photos thanks for the suggestion :)

Tom, it's is actually quite a nice effect! Really like the first shot!. I have had a similar effect with Fp4 when I had the Developer at the right temperature but the stop and fixer were just too cold, so it was the temperature differential that I think caused the problem for me!

Thanks Jao, while I do agree these have come out nice, I don't think it's reticulation - that happened last time when I was mixing new chems, this time I warmed them all up for the same amount of time so I can't see it being due to differing temperatures. I could be very wrong though, ordering a thermometer today ready for next time...

Back