Show us yer film shots then!

Ah! Yes, the rollers! Hadn't thought of them. Yes, metal 620 spindles. Still, the Fomapan 200 seems to have been especially damaged, which is a shame as in other ways it is such a good basic film to use in a box camera - and cheap. I'll try an Ilford next time. I have used a number of Brownies and Box cameras before. This one is my favourite to use though. One of Kodak's last box Brownies, mine is in pretty immaculate well kept condition. Doesn't look its age at all. A couple of quid at a car boot sale.

A few from the weekend, stuck indoors with the rain so the flowers came out..

Bronica ETRSi Ilford FP4

These really are quite beautiful, very nicely executed work, setting a high bar for still life! Which Zenzanon lens did you use out of interest?

These really are quite beautiful, very nicely executed work, setting a high bar for still life! Which Zenzanon lens did you use out of interest?

thanks :) ive a zenzanon-pe 75mm 2.8 and zenzanon-pe 50mm 2.8 I picked up an extension tube as well which helps a lot.

tbh I'm really not getting on with the ETRSi so will probably be flogging it. I had an SQ-B a while back and just seemed to prefer it, im not getting the same amount of keepers off the ETRSi than i did with that for whatever reason. Im going through a whole gear rethink/menopause at the moment both digital and film and just trying to work out what i really want.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information Ash. I too have an ETRS and three lenses and am having the same debate, whilst I quite like the camera, I am finding that I am not using it so much and. I think I prefer 6x6 images. All of that said your mono 645's look pretty good to me!

Really love this one Asha! Hope you're doing well mate. :)

Get yourself down here and you could have your very own negative of the same view! Lol

Doing OK thanks....above all i'm getting some shooting done which is always a good sign!

Btw, i'm in Kent next month ....if you or anyone else are down south then i'm up for a meet.......i have a thread somewhere with more info.......

By
thanks :) ive a zenzanon-pe 75mm 2.8 and zenzanon-pe 50mm 2.8 I picked up an extension tube as well which helps a lot.

tbh I'm really not getting on with the ETRSi so will probably be flogging it. I had an SQ-B a while back and just seemed to prefer it, im not getting the same amount of keepers off the ETRSi than i did with that for whatever reason. Im going through a whole gear rethink/menopause at the moment both digital and film and just trying to work out what i really want.
Thanks for the information Ash. I too have an ETRS and three lenses and am having the same debate, whilst I quite like the camera, I am finding that I am not using it so much and. I think I prefer 6x6 images. All of that said your mono 645's look pretty good to me!
There's nowt wrong with the ETRSi :)

Here's a Miner portrait taken with one at Dawmill on Portra 400 with a 75mm lens.

View attachment 18306

I've seen a lot of people give up on the etrs for various reasons but personally i think its positive and négative points balance out much the same as many other caméras. Without a doubt it can be cumbersome depending where and for how long its being carried but the results and the 645 format work fine imo particularly for landscape. Never say never as the saying goes, but i wouldnt part with mine. I'd think long and hard before saying good-bye to yours!.....perhaps pût it away for a while and see if you feel différent when you shoot it again in several months time.

Last edited:
By
I've seen a lot of people give up on the etrs for various reasons but personally i think its positive and négative points balance out much the same as many other caméras. Without a doubt it can be cumbersome depending where and for how long its being carried but the results and the 645 format work fine imo particularly for landscape. Never say never as the saying goes, but i wouldnt part with mine. I'd think long and hard before saying good-bye to yours!.....perhaps pût it away for a while and see if you feel différent when you shoot it again in several months time.

dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with it physically, lenses are sharp, its reasonably light, it meters fine. Im just not getting on with it mentally :) plus i really really want to get back into some studio work and the square format just suits that so much more. So i might get a 6x6 tank for studio things and one of those medium format slr style things for hillwalking. I really want someone to steal all my camera gear so i can claim on the insurance and start from scratch.

Me too.

It sounds like another go at scanning the Velvia, using whatever options your scanning software has for adjusting the red, green, and blue channels, may help to get closer to your goal.

Kevin, before trying that I tried playing with the white balance. Aperture has a simple one-click "natural grey" adjustment, so I put the pipette on some rocks and tried:

That does look much better and more like the general Portra colour balance. White balance and correcting colour casts is something I really don't understand; I need a good reference to read more about it!

EDIT: still some colour problems in those rocks, though?

Kevin, before trying that I tried playing with the white balance. Aperture has a simple one-click "natural grey" adjustment, so I put the pipette on some rocks and tried:

That does look much better and more like the general Portra colour balance. White balance and correcting colour casts is something I really don't understand; I need a good reference to read more about it!

EDIT: still some colour problems in those rocks, though?

Velvia is total bear to scan! I can't offer any advice as I ended up throwing money at the problem!! My saga can be found by searching for profiling as I'm sure you know.

Last edited:
Is YOUR Kodak the same as MINE ?? Mine is the 'Brownie Flash Model 'D' ' with close-up slider -- I cleaned lens inside the 'stopped it down ' with a smaller hole cut into a piece of black plastic from photographic paper wrapping and stuck it over rear of lens and got some amazingly SHARP results -- but the 'Close-up' lens seems to be set at 6 feet NOT very 'Close' !!
Kodak Brownie by pentaxpete, on Flickr
'Open Flash' with my Mecablitz 45 CT1 using the 'Close-up' lens and very old Kodak Vericlor III film home-processed in C41

Brownie-05 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Outdoors using the 'close-up lens' at about 6 feet away, same film as above
Brownie test by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Lovely shots, Asha, at first glance, those landscapes could almost be photographs of paintings. :)

Thanks Dean ....... I reckon they would look very much like paintings if printed onto matt paper .....All i need is a little stall in the village and some victims, oops, I mean tourists, to buy them! :D

The colour shots are looking very nice Asha, keep them coming!

Another roll of Portra drying atm alongside two rolls of Vista .... all being well you'll see more results this weekend (y)

Reactions: Jao
Is YOUR Kodak the same as MINE ?? Mine is the 'Brownie Flash Model 'D' ' with close-up slider -- I cleaned lens inside the 'stopped it down ' with a smaller hole cut into a piece of black plastic from photographic paper wrapping and stuck it over rear of lens and got some amazingly SHARP results -- but the 'Close-up' lens seems to be set at 6 feet NOT very 'Close' !!
Kodak Brownie by pentaxpete, on Flickr
'Open Flash' with my Mecablitz 45 CT1 using the 'Close-up' lens and very old Kodak Vericlor III film home-processed in C41

Brownie-05 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Outdoors using the 'close-up lens' at about 6 feet away, same film as above
Brownie test by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Mine Pete? Mine was a car boot bargain. Cost me a couple of quid and not far off immaculate. Mine is a very late box brownie - the Kodak Brownie Flash III dating around 1959. Photo of it below (apologies this image was captured in a digital camera - shameful I know) ;-)

9671935671_661c88b792.jpg

They're fantastic asha.

Thanks Steveo, tbh photos dont do thé scenery justice but i did best possible in thé full day sun to produce a fair représentation of how beautiful thé mountains are.

With early morning or evening light, thé possibility of capturing better results are always there although another couple of months and access up there will be impossible when the snows arrive

I haven't posted anything on this thread recently (not much time for photography unfortunately) but here are two fairly recent ones I thought I would share. Both are taken on Portra 400 and were developed and scanned by UK Film Lab. The first was taken with a Rolleiflex 3.5F in Donegal, and the second with a Leica MP and 50mm Elmar-M lens in Bangor, Wales.

Port, Donegal by osh rees, on Flickr

Menai Straits by osh rees, on Flickr

I haven't posted anything on this thread recently (not much time for photography unfortunately) but here are two fairly recent ones I thought I would share. Both are taken on Portra 400 and were developed and scanned by UK Film Lab. The first was taken with a Rolleiflex 3.5F in Donegal, and the second with a Leica MP and 50mm Elmar-M lens in Bangor, Wales.

Two lovely shots there, osh. What's interesting to me is how different they were to your previous Mamiya 6 work (Velvia?). I know Portra tends to be a more muted colour pallete, but I've also seen some very contrasty Portra work. Noted they were scanned by UK FilmLab; how was the experience? Did you talk to them about the look you wanted?

Two lovely shots there, osh. What's interesting to me is how different they were to your previous Mamiya 6 work (Velvia?). I know Portra tends to be a more muted colour pallete, but I've also seen some very contrasty Portra work. Noted they were scanned by UK FilmLab; how was the experience? Did you talk to them about the look you wanted?

Thanks Chris. Yes, they are very muted compared to Velvia shots I have taken. I haven't shot any Velvia at all lately but have a fair few rolls saved in the fridge ready for autumn! I didn't discuss any look with the lab - just sent them the films. I think the exposure could have something to do with it (probably over-exposed rather than under-exposed), as well as the conditions (i.e. the light/haze). Compare for example these two pictures, which are much more contrasty (both also taken on Portra 400 with the Rolleiflex and scanned by the same lab). The lighting conditions were tricky, and they were both under-exposed:

Cwm Mynach by osh rees, on Flickr

Forest Road by osh rees, on Flickr

Good to see you back Osh. Love the simplicity and calm feel of #2

Reactions: osh
After the disaster that was my attempt at shooting some flowers and then stand developing the film in a Paterson orbital, in today's post was a roll of Velvia that I shot with the Hasselblad at the same time. Here's one of them:

Flowers by wickerman6, on Flickr

The first photo is all kinds of awesome!

Reactions: osh
Back