Show us yer film shots then!

I came home to a roll of Velvia 100 I shot as a test (all I had to hand!) in the Fed 1G and sent to AG last week. I've got no idea about how the film has been stored or its' expiry as it came in a bulk film purchase, so the results are a bit noisy and have a bit of a magenta cast but at least it proves the shutter on the Fed works! I've only got a 120 holder for the V500 I'm using so these were clipped into that so again, not the ideal conditions!

Fuji Velvia 100 - Fed1G by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

(The light leaks were caused by me opening the shutter with the lens removed when I thought the film had snapped. Turns out it hadn't..)

I'll scan these again when I've got hold of a 135 holder because the actual slides are much sharper than these scans.

I've just wired up my lightbox to look at the slide properly (with an Industar-61 loupe) and these scans are terrible! Looking at the sharpness of the slide I'm really impressed with the Industar as the sharpness across the frame looks spot on.

What it also highlights is how badly 35mm scans without a proper holder compared to the 120 scans I did with the V500 before I had the holder.

A few more from this most recent roll of T-Max 400 with the XA2

img355 by Simon, on Flickr

img346 by Simon, on Flickr

img361 by Simon, on Flickr

img356 by Simon, on Flickr

Simon, I am regularly in awe of your photography skills in so far as how you can bring the most mundane everyday objects to life in a monochrome image>

Hats off to you young man, how i wish i had a similar talent>

I'm not envious, really I'm not:whistle::D

Wista 45DX, Fuji Pro 160NS.

Blea Tarn and The Langdale Pikes. About the only time in the weekend where the light was good and I was in the right place.

Blea-Tarn-and-Langdale-Pikes by Andy, on Flickr

Wista 45DX, Fuji Pro 160NS.

Blea Tarn and The Langdale Pikes. About the only time in the weekend where the light was good and I was in the right place.

Blea-Tarn-and-Langdale-Pikes by Andy, on Flickr
Andy, that is a truly beautiful image. It is very satisfyingly composed, nicely exposed, but most of all, has a very natural light and colour about it. Lovely and inspiring work!

Thank you Adrian, especially the bit about the colour :D

Reactions: Jao
Thanks Carl. Finally a LF shot I'm reasonably happy with.

I like this one as well but I have a suspicion that there may be a bit of a colour cast, thoughts anyone?
Langdale-Pikes by Andy, on Flickr

I have done lots of Colour Printing over many years -- I would say it has a BLUE cast especially you can see it on the sheep but the colour temperature of the available light was probably very high like 6.500 Kelvin.

Looks ok to me! (the colour is ok I mean, the photo is more than ok :p ). I've never been great at spotting colour casts mind

Well the quick trick I use most of the time is to view the grey or white areas in a shot (if you have them) as you know they are a definate colour e.g. a magenta pavement or green white wall ain't right....and go from there.

Last edited:
Sometimes I bump the saturation of the photo up to the maximum (only for a second, don't cringe!), because then any colour casts are really obvious. Making small changes then makes a big difference which is easy to see. Then you can drop the saturation slider back down to normal.

I have done lots of Colour Printing over many years -- I would say it has a BLUE cast especially you can see it on the sheep but the colour temperature of the available light was probably very high like 6.500 Kelvin.

That was my thought Pete but being colour blind can make it very tricky to be sure about these things.

Same here re colour printing and IMO probably gives you the eye for spotting colour casts...same for someone in the building or enginering trade that can easily spot something not horizontal\vertical\straight etc

I've just had a closer look at the sheep and I think it may be that the blue is actually a dye on the sheep's wool.

I've just had a closer look at the sheep and I think it may be that the blue is actually a dye on the sheep's wool.

Well Andy it does have a slight blue cast and it's a very good shot as it is....but you could nit pick with Mrs snap operating the colour sliders in Photoshop to get perfection OR the colours that she likes.

Well Andy it does have a slight blue cast and it's a very good shot as it is....but you could nit pick with Mrs snap operating the colour sliders in Photoshop to get perfection OR the colours that she likes.

Nope, not doing that. I go into the study to get away from her........ :D

(Just joking dear. :naughty:)

The benefit works two ways, believe me!! :)
Oh I can believe you Janet,....... my "study" / "refuge" was the IOM ferry terminal waiting room.......what a relief!, and that was after only spending a few hours alone with "himself":exit::D

Oh I can believe you Janet,....... my "study" / "refuge" was the IOM ferry terminal waiting room.......what a relief!, and that was after only spending a few hours alone with "himself":exit::D

Pah! You were lucky that I didn't throw you in the Mersey and make you swim to the I'Love Man. I couldn't get a word in edgeways. :D

I could see a slight blue cast in the foreground, but I put that down to the foreground being in the shade (which means illuminated by blue skylight). I have a photo taken in Glen Coe showing normal colour on the ground but a very distinct and highly obvious blue cast in the deep gully in which the river is flowing.

Back