Sigma DP Merrils Price Drop

I feel I have just taken a step back in time, not in a bad way but it did make me laugh, I went out yesterday with the dp3m and the dp2m and took 83 images between both cameras. Loading the images into SPP and converting them into 16bit Tiffs was what made me laugh, approximately 14/15 seconds per image and my computers no slouch (i7 3.5ghz quad core, 16bg ddr3, 250gb ssd, accelerated graphics gpu all running windows 7 64 bit os)

Took me back to the days when my software came on cassette tape. Going out to make coffee just became a reality again, but all worth it because of the quality of the images themselves.

Are you guys finding that the metering system over exposes? Several of my images have got blown highlights so I'm going to dial in some compensation, just have to experiment I suppose, start off with -1/3 ev or even 2/3

my dp1s is more prone to it
and as for waiting, try dxo prime ;-)
I look at my other pics and im like bayer mush :-(, flick flick :-(

seriously thinking of picking up a dp3
so plus sides are slightly better lens than dp2, closer focus (22cm vs 28) and greater magnification (1.3 to 1.76), and it would make mandy jealous :rolleyes::banana:, the longer focal length makes it better for some things we shoot, and we do have a screw on tc that isnt terrible, which would get 85mm/128 with crop factor.

downsides is its probably 400quid with all the extra bits n bobs, the quatrro is ment to be even better :runaway:, and i probably should buy other things instead :\

seriously thinking of picking up a dp3
so plus sides are slightly better lens than dp2, closer focus (22cm vs 28) and greater magnification (1.3 to 1.76), and it would make mandy jealous :rolleyes::banana:, the longer focal length makes it better for some things we shoot, and we do have a screw on tc that isnt terrible, which would get 85mm/128 with crop factor.

downsides is its probably 400quid with all the extra bits n bobs, the quatrro is ment to be even better :runaway:, and i probably should buy other things instead :\

Your not a nice friend to me taunting me like that.

The quattro is likely to be about 3 times the price of current merrills..not sure it will yield 3 times better quality though.

30% ish, 1 stop better iso and double the battery life with a new battery, is what they have said. but yeah i would think it would be atleast 800+ in price
:hug: for mandy

cheap ass ring flash on DP3.. surprisingly decent for £21.53 delivered, love that the ring can fit on lens or flash unit, all the usual features, continuous, flash, can have just half on.. did a few quick tests, no flash, flash on head, flash on lens, continuous on lens.. and it is quite usable, nice catchlight in eyes too which was my main reason for purchase.

13217021824_070a6f2ff7_b.jpg

Just had a notification they are following me on flickr so had a brief look and agree amazing stuff on there!

might try and get one for when i go see my sister and her cats, think her new place has a garden :)

as predicted its the DP3 and DP1 that is getting the use, don't get me wrong I am glad I have the DP2 to complete the trilogy and when I have time for a bit of street it will be the camera I try first, but I really love the 1 & 3.

shouldn't have got the viewfinder for the DP2 in all fairness but it was a good price, I would much prefer one on the DP1 tho.

Just playing with the dp2m and nd filter again..lighting was all over with heavy cloud then sun etc lol..The river was also running fast and moving my little monopod about so not the sharpest pics.Cant wait to get my redsnapper next week for some stability.

untitled-0177
by StuartHowePhotography, on Flickr

untitled-0165

untitled-0166

Wish I could have got lower but my backside was already touching water and huge branch in the way lol

untitled-0171

untitled-0179

Last edited:
I am quite liking using the rear lcd tbh..especially with this sort of camera.I did contemplate the viewfinder but not sure if I would use it much.

ive been thinking of one of those viewfinder dslr video shooter eyecup thingies, should be cheaper and you can review shots, downside is it is bulky, and the cheap ones might be poor opticaly :(

hows the clarity through the optical thingy? got to try some leica's on saturday and they where so beautifuly clear and sharp to look through

ive been thinking of one of those viewfinder dslr video shooter eyecup thingies, should be cheaper and you can review shots, downside is it is bulky, and the cheap ones might be poor opticaly :(

hows the clarity through the optical thingy? got to try some leica's on saturday and they where so beautifuly clear and sharp to look through

no problem with how quality the Sigma VF is, nice and bright, the framing box and compensation lines are nice and clear and how its designed/position so you can see the AF light on the camera is excellent.. but it does send you back to days gone.. of course you can leave the camera screen on like standard which I guess could be useful, use the camera as normal realise the sun making the screen hard to see so use VF.. but for me I wanted that days gone feeling, now I am not so sure.. it is a quality item though so no worrys there..

I too am looking at the DSLR loupe mod with the bonus that if liked it is interchangeable between the 3 cameras, I would just be concerned about how far the camera is away from your face when using it, might feel unnatural.

got some time out this morning, used the DP2 with viewfinder and screen off, it was a nice experience and one one unrecoverable image because of composition.. all images were in focus where I wanted them.

still not sure the VF is for me though.

Let me know if you want to move it on David, I would like to give it a try as well.

Hi David, if your including the postage in that price then I'll take it when you advertise it.

she proper hates its..

hoods arrived, I must say a little disappointed, not s at build quality that seems as good as any I have known and at the end of the day its function over form... but hood or lens cap is a bit of a pain, the Fuji 35mm and 18mm X series lens I briefly had were exactly the same but Fuji provide rubber caps for the end of the hood.. that would have been nice to see with these.

but as I say function over form but I would have happily paid £5-10 extra for a rubber thingy a la Fuji

I recently purchased a DP2 Merrill with the original hood. To solve the lens cap issue I purchased this from Amazon
OP/TECH 3" Mini Hood Hat. it works great. Cheapest price on Amazon was £6.95 delivered which is a bit much for a bit of foam, but it works great. Put the lens hood on the camera and this slides over the lens hoodand lens right up to the body, Easy to pull off and on.:)

cheap ass ring flash on DP3.. surprisingly decent for £21.53 delivered, love that the ring can fit on lens or flash unit, all the usual features, continuous, flash, can have just half on.. did a few quick tests, no flash, flash on head, flash on lens, continuous on lens.. and it is quite usable, nice catchlight in eyes too which was my main reason for purchase.

13217021824_070a6f2ff7_b.jpg

Hi David, Where did you purchase this unit ? Cheers

Thanks David, I see it is a Canon fit. Do none of the contact cause any problem with the different layout of contact on the Merrill

they have the same hotshoe layout i belive, for the extra pins.

so i just bought a nearly new dp3 off ebay :x, what hood where u guys using that was compatible and not screw fit ?

Thanks David, I see it is a Canon fit. Do none of the contact cause any problem with the different layout of contact on the Merrill

the Canon bit is purely for listing purposes methinks for people searching for 'canon ringflash' , they list for Nikon too but they will be exactly the same thing as they are non ttl. its only Sony cameras that would have a problem.

@strumstrum could you confirm your nikon hood fits fairly well?:)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cameras-Photography-/625/i.html?_sop=15&_from=R40&_nkw=hb-37&LH_PrefLoc=2
be a cheap option if it does, could order 2 and take a belt sander to it if needed :D

it fits perfect but does not click lock like a dedicated hood does so it would be prone to turning and falling off I would have thought... it does fit really nice though I reckon there would be a way without damage to camera make it secure.

Looks like the sigma is a pretty good camera after all..lol just received this comment on another forum!
" Didn't know the detail a handheld digital could capture. That little model looks the bees knees too - outstrips my Olympus D-750"
Ya reckon?..lol

Back