The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Would anyone know if this would work with the sony a7iv it states it would with the a7iii , i know nothing about flash guns or would there be something better for the Same price £70 on amazon View attachment 391988

Yes it’ll work. Good little flash but not that powerful and slow recycle times. But that may be something you can live with. I use the TT685s

Would anyone know if this would work with the sony a7iv it states it would with the a7iii , i know nothing about flash guns or would there be something better for the Same price £70 on amazon View attachment 391988
Just to add to what Tim said, there is also a V350s - the same flash, but with a Li-ion battery, which gives improved recycle times and max number of shots (but more expensive, and you can't just pop in some new AA's if it runs out :), but you can buy spare batteries specifically for it).
I've got the MK-320 (same size) for mine (the TT350 wasn't out when I got it for my A6000), and it does fit nicely, size wise it's a good match for the smaller mirrorless cameras.
Having said that, when I wanted to take a load of indoor shots with my A7iv recently I simply didn't use flash, but let the ISO take care of the available light - I found that in a normally lit room where I would previously wanted flash, the A7iv was quite happy to up the ISO and still have great images.

I switched from TT350s to V350s.
Definitely recommend V350s if you can afford it. The li-ion battery is better, the performance doesn't degrade as the charge goes down unlike AA batteries.

I've been looking for a Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 p type in l39 mount. They're hard to find and all those on ebay are in Japan. I found one at Harrison camera in the UK and it arrived today and it's in beautiful condition but the focus ring gets progressively tighter as you move towards infinity. It has a very short focus throw so this is significant.

I soooo wanted this lens as I had one years ago and sold it and always regretted it and wanted another to try on my A7. It cost me £200 and a service to fettle the stiff focus will be £50-100. I'll have to think but I'll probably keep it and get it serviced. I suppose this just highlights the problem buying old kit, you never know what's going to turn up and in what condition.

With the adapter it's still smaller than the Pergear 35mm f1.4.

Welcome back (y) Looks like you’ve come back with a bang, A7RV and 50mm f1.2:clap:

Lol. You mad man. Totally jealous of course.
Enjoy and I look forward to seeing what you capture with your new toy.

Thanks chaps. All this talk of 50mm GM…you know the rest..

Just a quick indoor test shot with the Voigtlander 35mm f2.5.

I'm really happy with the image quality at f2.5.

DSC02543.jpg

The only issue is a bit of vignetting, but it's reasonable. Sharpness looks good at 100%.

1-DSC02543.jpg

Bokeh looks pretty smooth.

DSC02527.jpg

Infinity is just a touch before the end stop which is mildly annoying. I do like it when infinity is at the end stop.

The last time I used one of these was on my Voigtlander Bessa.

Last edited:
I know diffusion filters cause light to become more hazy, could they possibly ‘soften’ bokeh balls and maybe reduce cats eyes?

I've been looking for a Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 p type in l39 mount. They're hard to find and all those on ebay are in Japan. I found one at Harrison camera in the UK and it arrived today and it's in beautiful condition but the focus ring gets progressively tighter as you move towards infinity. It has a very short focus throw so this is significant.

I soooo wanted this lens as I had one years ago and sold it and always regretted it and wanted another to try on my A7. It cost me £200 and a service to fettle the stiff focus will be £50-100. I'll have to think but I'll probably keep it and get it serviced. I suppose this just highlights the problem buying old kit, you never know what's going to turn up and in what condition.

With the adapter it's still smaller than the Pergear 35mm f1.4.
Did the retailer detail this fault when they sold it? I don't think you should be having to pay for repair work after buying a lens from a camera shop unless it's explicitly listed when the lens was sold.

Did the retailer detail this fault when they sold it? I don't think you should be having to pay for repair work after buying a lens from a camera shop unless it's explicitly listed when the lens was sold.

There was no description of this but I suppose if it's a fault or not depends on how picky you are. I'm picky and analytical and for me it's an issue and as above especially when the focus throw is so short and the lens has to be handled with care and delicacy when using both the aperture and focus rings.

I'm going to keep it and get it serviced as I've wanted one of these for years and they're hard to find other than in Japan. The guy I used to use for lens servicing retired but I sent him an email and I've just had a very nice reply stating he's willing to look at it for me so it'll cost in the region of £50/£100 for a service and postage and at that I'll still be happy with the price assuming it can be brought back to proper operation.

From the rumor site.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCksThrowq0&t=482s

I quite like vids like this as they usually give an opinion and sample picture. It's interesting that he says he likes this lens because it's small. I suppose I'm out of step :D
All depends what you’re used to I guess. When I got it I thought it was quite big, but now having used the 50mm f1.2 for a couple of days and going back to the 35mm it feels tiny :LOL:

All depends what you’re used to I guess. When I got it I thought it was quite big, but now having used the 50mm f1.2 for a couple of days and going back to the 35mm it feels tiny :LOL:

My main thing is not attracting too much attention and in my mind the bigger the kit the more ambiance destroying and attention grabbing it potentially becomes and that's before I think about bulk and weight. I'd much rather use the 35mm f2.8 or the Pergear or even the Sony 1.8 as in most instances and IMO away from f1.x (and even then it wont always be obvious if bokeh balls aren't a feature) people will struggle to see any significant difference, if they see any at all.

Talking of 35's :)

I've just bought a used Tamron 35mm F2.8 Di III OSD M1:2 lens for just £160 ! [From a person who bought it new in Nov '22 and hasn't used it]

It's plastic, slow focusing and no buttons or features, but optically it's up there with other 35's costing 4x plus [Dustin Abbott's words]. It also has a 1:2 Marco feature which I will find useful.
This will get used to fill the gap between iPhone 13 Pro Max, which is great but sometimes I want that full frame quality, and then my 70-180.

52963954309_a8aaf6da9f.jpg

Last edited:
I've just bought a used Tamron 35mm F2.8 Di III OSD M1:2 lens for just £160 !

It's plastic, slow focusing and no buttons or features, but optically it's up there with other 35's costing double+. It also has a 1:2 Marco feature which I will find useful.
This will get used to fill the gap between iPhone 13 Pro Max, which is great but sometimes I want that full frame quality, and then my 70-180.

52963954309_a8aaf6da9f.jpg

The 35GM/CV40 and the 70-180/2.8 are my go to set up for most of my photography outings.

Talking of 35's :)

I've just bought a used Tamron 35mm F2.8 Di III OSD M1:2 lens for just £160 ! [From a person who bought it new in Nov '22 and hasn't used it]

You can't go far wrong with a 35mm :D

Hope you'll be very happy with it and post lots of pictures taken with it :D

Mrs WW wanted a picture of these small flowers.

A7 and Pergear 35mm f1.4 at f16 I think plus No.4 close up filter.

View attachment 392170

Strawberries. I always think of the sweety ad on TV, "Stwarberry. They taste of Stwarberry." Same kit at f8.

View attachment 392171

100% from that.

View attachment 392172

Our strawberries have just started flowering :)

If someone told me 10 years ago I'd swap playing with cars to take up gardening I would have laughed for a month solid!

Yet here we are.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Our strawberries have just started flowering :)

If someone told me 10 years ago I'd swap playing with cars to take up gardening I would have laughed for a month solid!

Yet here we are.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I mow the lawns and pull weeds from the block paving, anything else is down to Mrs WW :D

Flower at 75% crop.

DSC02560-C.jpg

Last edited:
I mow the lawns and pull weeds from the block paving, anything else is down to Mrs WW :D

We've got a Willow tree from a neighbour who moved out, planted two acer trees, various other potted stuff plants and flowers and we've a funny shaped top part of the garden so I've cemented some block work in and built a rockery area, with the potted stuff and had 0.8 tonnes of graphite slate chippings delivered to work a few days ago..... I think over half of that is at home now..... :rolleyes: :headbang: :ROFLMAO:

Still struggling to decide what to replace my second A7iii with. The immediate choice is the A7IV, but I'm also considering the A7RIV as they're a similar price. I'd like the same button layout at the A9II, and I'm wondering if the A7IV screen would annoy me not being the same to the A9II.

The obvious choice is another A9II but they seem to be more than I want to pay at the moment.

Still struggling to decide what to replace my second A7iii with. The immediate choice is the A7IV, but I'm also considering the A7RIV as they're a similar price. I'd like the same button layout at the A9II, and I'm wondering if the A7IV screen would annoy me not being the same to the A9II.

The obvious choice is another A9II but they seem to be more than I want to pay at the moment.

I have an A7RIVa the files sizes are a total ball ache for weddings, have always thought that the a,f wasn't as reliable as the A7III never mind the others. Its great for portraits and wedding details were nothing moves fast and the option to crop so much makes it good for speeches as you can crop until the cows come home and easily get rid of distractions on tables etc. I wouldn't want to be using for covering everything at a wedding though.

I do find the screen on the A7IV annoying but everyone will be different. A9II is probably your best bet tbh will save loads of time in post as well as all of the bodies handle W.B differently. Just my opinion but for me the A7IV a.f isn't as reliable as the A9 or A9II either.

Last edited:

Is grey/used not an option for the A9II or are those prices still too high? If the A9II already fulfils your needs it would make sense to get another, especially as the layout will be identical obviously.

I pulled the trigger on a second hand minty A9 from Clifton Cameras after much deliberation. Want to see how the electronic shutter is vs the A7iv. Not sure if my SD cards will be fast enough to take full advantage though. Are compressed RAWs favourable in terms of fps? Sad I missed the one available on the forum but didn't have the funds at the time

I pulled the trigger on a second hand minty A9 from Clifton Cameras after much deliberation. Want to see how the electronic shutter is vs the A7iv. Not sure if my SD cards will be fast enough to take full advantage though. Are compressed RAWs favourable in terms of fps? Sad I missed the one available on the forum but didn't have the funds at the time
Yes, you can only get the max frame rate of shooting jpeg or compressed raw, I think uncompressed raw drops the frame rate to 15fps from memory, which is still more than fast enough imo.

I have an A7RIVa the files sizes are a total ball ache for weddings, have always thought that the a,f wasn't as reliable as the A7III never mind the others. Its great for portraits and wedding details were nothing moves fast and the option to crop so much makes it good for speeches as you can crop until the cows come home and easily get rid of distractions on tables etc. I wouldn't want to be using for covering everything at a wedding though.

I do find the screen on the A7IV annoying but everyone will be different. A9II is probably your best bet tbh will save loads of time in post as well as all of the bodies handle W.B differently. Just my opinion but for me the A7IV a.f isn't as reliable as the A9 or A9II either.
Yup, but could shoot smaller RAW for weddings but that kind of defies the point of having it I guess. I think screen on a7iv would be fine, if the other camera was the same. Having two different screens opening in different ways may be frustrating...I agree, maybe another A9II is the best bet and I'll just have to suck it up. Hopefully I can get a deal like I did on the last one (£2k for a Sony refurb)

Is grey/used not an option for the A9II or are those prices still too high? If the A9II already fulfils your needs it would make sense to get another, especially as the layout will be identical obviously.

Still more than I'd like to pay if I'm honest and thought having higher res camera may be more beneficial. I'm not overly fussed about electronic shutter, I seem to miss the feeling of the mechanical one! Trying to keep enough in budget for a 50mm ;)

Back