The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

1 roll of film, 1 focal length, 3 shots a day, full manual, 10 days in Japan. Challenge accepted!

(Film has been in the freezer for 20 years. Camera never tested...no idea if it works)

Joe4Cvj.jpg

Last edited:
Ok folks I have withdrawn my X-T5 from sale, as the last few months my head has been right up my backside for reasons most will know. I walked down the stairs here and outside for the first time since December last year and what a feeling to smell fresh air was great, yes I sold one of my lenses that I hardly used but the X-T5 is going to stay with me for quite a while longer yet.

Ok folks I have withdrawn my X-T5 from sale, as the last few months my head has been right up my backside for reasons most will know. I walked down the stairs here and outside for the first time since December last year and what a feeling to smell fresh air was great, yes I sold one of my lenses that I hardly used but the X-T5 is going to stay with me for quite a while longer yet.
Great news Dave

Good to hear, mate. Stay positive (y)

You could always get a couple of action figures to shoot ;)

Good to hear, mate. Stay positive (y)

You could always get a couple of action figures to shoot ;)

I don't have the same editing skills as you mate, but as of going out to get some fresh air my state of mind feels the best since last year. I don't mind selling the lenses as I have the XF50mm f2 and the great XF18mm f1.4 R WR I have all I want now. Just charging the X-T5 now and then need to set it all back up, funny what smelling fresh air can do to some people.

I don't have the same editing skills as you mate, but as of going out to get some fresh air my state of mind feels the best since last year. I don't mind selling the lenses as I have the XF50mm f2 and the great XF18mm f1.4 R WR I have all I want now. Just charging the X-T5 now and then need to set it all back up, funny what smelling fresh air can do to some people.
You don't need that much editing skills, mate. Just think of the background, and go for it. I just like to play :)

There ya go. Fresh coastal air will do you the world of good :)

@Fuji Dave
Don't forget, all the portrait style pix didn't have much editing at all. Just gels over the lighting. And I know you have lights :)

Nice one mate I will have a go this week.

It is actually rather fun to shoot them. It doesn`t have to be SW either, as there are plenty of different ones about, from various shows, and films etc...

Here is where I got mine from ;)

It is actually rather fun to shoot them. It doesn`t have to be SW either, as there are plenty of different ones about, from various shows, and films etc...

Here is where I got mine from ;)

I had a phase a while back so got about 40 odd peices in the end Star Wars and other ones.

Dilemma. I’ve somehow ended up with two Smallrig hand grips for my Silver X-T5
Do I get rid of one or get another X-T5 to put it on…
Well logic suggests, you get another one ;) But if you were a little faster, you could have bought Dave`s...

Hi

Custom recipe question.

I have just acquired a XH1 and have input 7 custom film recipes.

If I shoot jpeg only do I have to choose one of these or can I still choose to use the stock simulations that came with the camera eg Velvia, Acros, Sepia etc etc If so, how?

Also, in the Q menu I have C1, C2 etc and sometimes it says "Base", what do these mean?

Apologies for being a little slow on the uptake.

Hi

Custom recipe question.

If I shoot jpeg only do I have to choose one of these or can I still choose to use the stock simulations that came with the camera eg Velvia, Acros, Sepia etc etc If so, how?

Also, in the Q menu I have C1, C2 etc and sometimes it says "Base", what do these mean?

OK, firstly, there is a difference between film simulations and film recipes.

Film recipes are the result of a film simulation, coupled with white balance settings, shadow, highlight, colour chrome etc etc.

So yes, you can still use the built in film simulations, you're never NOT using one...

If you want them in their default state you'll need to set all the other stuff back to default. I keep C1 as just that - Provia, auto white balance, default everything else. That way I can switch back to that and just cycle through film sims.

When it says "Base" it basically means that you started on a saved custom recipe, but have changed something. So if you load C5 for example, and then change the shadow setting, it will change to "Base C5", as in your current settings are based on C5.

OK, firstly, there is a difference between film simulations and film recipes.

Film recipes are the result of a film simulation, coupled with white balance settings, shadow, highlight, colour chrome etc etc.

So yes, you can still use the built in film simulations, you're never NOT using one...

If you want them in their default state you'll need to set all the other stuff back to default. I keep C1 as just that - Provia, auto white balance, default everything else. That way I can switch back to that and just cycle through film sims.

When it says "Base" it basically means that you started on a saved custom recipe, but have changed something. So if you load C5 for example, and then change the shadow setting, it will change to "Base C5", as in your current settings are based on C5.
Thats awesome,

So, just to clarify. If i have 7 custom recipes I can only use one of those if shooting in Jpeg and not any of the film simulations that come pre loaded into the camera unless I have one set up as a custom with default settings?

Last edited:
Thats awesome,

So, just to clarify. If i have 7 custom recipes I can only use one of those if shooting in Jpeg and not any of the film simulations that come pre loaded into the camera unless I have one set up as a custom with default settings?

I mean, you could take any of your 7 recipes and just set white balance, set highlights back to default, shadows to default, colour chrome to default, grain to default... etc etc...

It's just easier to save one of your custom settings as an "Everything default" recipe, then you only need to change the film sim.

To reiterate the point though - Recipes are the result of many settings, including the film simulation. I'm struggling to think of a good analogy to simplify it, but it's not an either/or kind of thing. You don't choose between using a recipe or a film simulation

For example, you could have C1 set to use the classic chrome simulation, with +1 shadows and +1 highlights. Your C2 recipe could again use the classic chrome film simulation, only this time with +1 shadows, but -1 highlights and a different white balance. Same film simulation, different recipe, different result. The film simulations are simply a base from which to build recipes if you wish to.

I mean, you could take any of your 7 recipes and just set white balance, set highlights back to default, shadows to default, colour chrome to default, grain to default... etc etc...

It's just easier to save one of your custom settings as an "Everything default" recipe, then you only need to change the film sim.

To reiterate the point though - Recipes are the result of many settings, including the film simulation. I'm struggling to think of a good analogy to simplify it, but it's not an either/or kind of thing. You don't choose between using a recipe or a film simulation

For example, you could have C1 set to use the classic chrome simulation, with +1 shadows and +1 highlights. Your C2 recipe could again use the classic chrome film simulation, only this time with +1 shadows, but -1 highlights and a different white balance. Same film simulation, different recipe, different result. The film simulations are simply a base from which to build recipes if you wish to.
Awesome, many thanks.

Hi

Custom recipe question.

It's probably best practice to leave one slot free, just to ensure you can take a shot with no in camera processing bar the chosen film simulation if necessary.

If you shoot Raw + Jpeg then the Raw file could be edited however you like afterwards, including changing the base film simulation recipe

I use LRC plus Photoshop and also have my website on Adobe Portfolio so I find the full Photography Plan to be very good value.
I use Portfolio too. I'm actually on the full plan for everything with 1Tb cloud storage, which is the one that never goes on sale. I don't use LRC anymore but my old man still does so he's on my subscription as it allows you to use it on two PCs. I don't ever really use LR on anything but my phone or iPad anymore but that means I need the cloud storage to store and sync all my files together.

It's probably best practice to leave one slot free, just to ensure you can take a shot with no in camera processing bar the chosen film simulation if necessary.

If you shoot Raw + Jpeg then the Raw file could be edited however you like afterwards, including changing the base film simulation recipe
Gotcha, cheers ;-)

Advice wanted please!

I've got an X-H1 and a few lenses. My other half has recently invested in an XT-30II body and stolen my XF35mm f2...

So, in terms of options, I could either buy her an XC35mm f2 thand take the XF back, or get myself a viltrox 33mm f 1.4, a sigma 30mm or go the whole hog and get the xf33mm f1.4.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Advice wanted please!

I've got an X-H1 and a few lenses. My other half has recently invested in an XT-30II body and stolen my XF35mm f2...

So, in terms of options, I could either buy her an XC35mm f2 thand take the XF back, or get myself a viltrox 33mm f 1.4, a sigma 30mm or go the whole hog and get the xf33mm f1.4.

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Depends if WR is important

How much do you like the XF35mm F2? What does your other half want from the 35?

I'd take a long look at the 33mm F1.4 as a long term route if funds permitted as IMO it is rather pricey - but probably well matched to any future body - and also taking into account there possibly two beneficiaries in the household as well. I'd also have a careful think about the 30mm F2.8 macro.

Otherwise if your other half was happy with the XF optics and not bothered by the XC handling with the loss of the aperture ring just go for the XC35 F2 and reclaim the XF35 F2. If the aperture ring is an issue then that leaves the Viltrox as an alternative if not going the expensive route.

Or maybe persuade your other half to give you the X-T30ii as a backup body and switch to OM, Sony, Canon, or Nikon ..... and keep her hands off your equipment in future?

Last edited:
How much do you like the XF35mm F2? What does your other half want from the 35?

I'd take a long look at the 33mm F1.4 as a long term route if funds permitted as IMO it is rather pricey - but probably well matched to any future body - and also taking into account there possibly two beneficiaries in the household as well. I'd also have a careful think about the 30mm F2.8 macro.

Otherwise if your other half was happy with the XF optics and not bothered by the XC handling with the loss of the aperture ring just go for the XC35 F2 and reclaim the XF35 F2. If the aperture ring is an issue then that leaves the Viltrox as an alternative if not going the expensive route.

Or maybe persuade your other half to give you the X-T30ii as a backup body and switch to OM, Sony, Canon, or Nikon ..... and keep her hands off your equipment in future?

I am tempted by the 33mm I must admit. The cheapest route is clearly the XC35 f2, but it seems a good opportunity for an upgrade...I like the idea of getting her to switch to another brand :p.

I am tempted by the 33mm I must admit. The cheapest route is clearly the XC35 f2, but it seems a good opportunity for an upgrade...I like the idea of getting her to switch to another brand :p.
@Fuji Dave is selling a fooj 33mm (scaling down a bit).

Back