*The Official Eclipse Photo Thread*

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
Looks like we're about to be inundated with eclipse pics - how about we stick them all in here?

We had a hazy sky here, which went full on clouds just as it reached it's peak, completely obscured everything!

These are cropped from XT1, 55-200 and Lee Big Stopper.

10264269_456203627861883_6556675375017569730_o.jpg

10482600_456202274528685_5801189313176287286_o.jpg

10999328_456203624528550_6730766328011388400_o.jpg

We only had a partial eclipse in Cyprus, this was as good as it got. And at almost 12 midday I didn't like pointing the camera at the sun for too long!

But the cloud was drifting by which added some nice detail.

A partial eclipse from Cyprus

Looks like we're about to be inundated with eclipse pics - how about we stick them all in here?

Good idea, I have changed the thread name, hope you don't mind, so that hopefully people will see it and put all the pics in here (though people can obviously start their own thread if they wish).

Partial cloud cover here in North Oxon throughout, initially the eclipse wasn't visible at all, but it thinned around peak occlusion time and I managed a few shots with a 10-stop in place.

Eclipse-03728_zpsujuqvayl.jpg~original

And one to give the sense of it being an enormous ball of fusing hydrogen at millions of degrees instead of a 20W lightbulb with an egg in front:
Eclipse-03755_zpsypkqpuqn.jpg~original

Last edited:
A couple from Strathaven. When I woke up I was immediately disappointed to see complete cloud cover, but as 8:30 approached I could see there were a few patches in the clouds and a stiff breeze was helping the cause. I didn't get many opportunities, but these are the best of the bunch:

edit: Added a quick edit of some short video clips.

Last edited:
A lot of them are much too close for me - and none show any earth objects - e.g. buildings - to put the sun in context.

A lot of them are much too close for me - and none show any earth objects - e.g. buildings - to put the sun in context.

That's because to do that you need to somehow include the object in your long focal length shot, otherwise the sun is tiny....I have tried a few that I am going to process later that are shot on a much wider angle lens than my stuff above, but the sun with bit a tiny little element in the photo.

Good views in Leeds, right up until just after the point of most coverage; then the thick black clouds rolled in:

Smile :) by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Canon EOS-M
Panagor 400mm F5.6 (FD Mount)
Canon 2x TeleConverter (FD mount)
EF-M - FD Mount Adapter
DIY Solar Filter

ISO 200, F11, exposure times varied from 1/40th - 1/250th -the light was changing very rapidly!

Last edited:
Here's a few of mine. I haven't been home long so these are sooc, cropped a bit and resized. Taken from the RSBP car park at Ham Wall in Somerset. I was hoping for a shot of the eclipsed sun and Glastonbury Tor but it was a bit too foggy.
My first sight of the sun at 0908

S1r
by Jannyfox on Talk Photography

Around maximum eclipse at 0932

S2r

Nearly over - with a sunspot! 1040

S3r

The first two were taken through nature's own solar filter, the last through my home made Baader filter

Back