The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

Looking at replacing my D700 with an X-Pro-1, 23mm f/1.4 and a 35mm f/1.4. Has anyone else made the switch and if so is there anything you missed?

Looking at replacing my D700 with an X-Pro-1, 23mm f/1.4 and a 35mm f/1.4. Has anyone else made the switch and if so is there anything you missed?
Not the D700, but I replaced my Canon 5D with mine - the only thing I miss is the aching shoulder!!!

Looks like you're new to this forum, I recommend you trawl back through this thread - I know it's a long one, but worth the advice & tips you'll pick up. Plus, you're sure to find someone who's a D700 user (or used to be).

I did,but for me their wasn't much choice i just couldn't carry around an large DSLR kit anymore,i think its down to the reason that you want to make the changes,and yes in some ways i do miss an large DSLR.
But am also really enjoying using Fuji :)

I swapped a D800 body (and a couple of hundred quid) for an X-Pro 1 system (body + 4 lenses) but have kept my D700 system as well. In the year I had the D800, I used it fewer times than I've used the X-Pro 1 in the first month I had it! There are things the DSLR does better but it's the CSC kit that gets grabbed almost every time (I've since added to the Fuji kit by getting an X-T 1 as well).

Cheers for the replies.

The reason I'm considering jumping ship is mainly the fact I don't really take my D700 out much, it just seems a chore to get it out of the bag set it up and start shooting all the time and as I mainly shoot a lot of walkabout these days it just feels a chore rather then fun. I borrowed a friends X100 yesterday and haven't had that much fun shooting in a fair while :)

I've never really found weight an issue, it's more the bulk of it and all the paraphernalia you tend to carry with it. My thoughts are to sell of D700 kit and pick up a X-Pro-1 with 23mm(35mm) and 35mm(53mm) as these are the two focal lengths I use the most, then see how I get on with it while waiting for photokina before fully investing in the system.

My main concerns so far are:
What's the battery life like and can you disable the preview screen to save it?
How is the raw support in LR5?
Does it support USB remote commands (for use with a set of Timelapse+ devices)
What's the build quality of the lenses like(mainly 23/35)?
What's low light auto focus really like, I shoot a fair bit at night?
I've seen a few shots about but has anyone done any tracked widefield astro with one?
What will I do without having to carry several KG of gear around......:)

Last edited:
Battery life, carry some spares.
Lens build quality lens 1st class
Low light AF,i havnt had to many problems

The rest of the ? not my field :)

I have had a D700 for a couple of years, got the XPro last year. I like the Fuji, and its a nice size and weight, 35mm is very good. However, I could never ditch the D700, and if I could only have one it would be the Nikon. Putting aside my paid work, I would still choose the Nikon for family stuff. Battery life is much better, AF is loads better, flash on the XPro is very poor, and it does edge the IQ (although thats like saying that Kelly Brook edges out Kylie - happy with either!). It depends what you shoot - i shoot my kids most of the time, if i did say landscapes then I could ditch the Nikon.

Low light AF,i havnt had to many problems

Low light AF and general shooting to get good sharp images is where I really struggle with the X-Pro over a DSLR.

Anyone care to share their tips on getting sharp images and a reasonable shutter speed?

Low light AF and general shooting to get good sharp images is where I really struggle with the X-Pro over a DSLR.

Anyone care to share their tips on getting sharp images and a reasonable shutter speed?

I push the ISO,the high ISO on the Fuji sensor are very good :)

I have had a D700 for a couple of years, got the XPro last year. I like the Fuji, and its a nice size and weight, 35mm is very good. However, I could never ditch the D700, and if I could only have one it would be the Nikon. Putting aside my paid work, I would still choose the Nikon for family stuff. Battery life is much better, AF is loads better, flash on the XPro is very poor, and it does edge the IQ (although thats like saying that Kelly Brook edges out Kylie - happy with either!). It depends what you shoot - i shoot my kids most of the time, if i did say landscapes then I could ditch the Nikon.

I mainly used my d700 for walkabout shooting, on hikes around cities ect and a mix of daytime/night shooting. Battery life is a bit of a concern but I don't mind carrying a spare and I've always gone out of my way to avoid using the flash so I guess the potential issues from the switch aren't that great.

I've done a bit of checking and for some bizarre reason fuji only decided to have the option of a mechanical remote on the x-pro does anyone know of a mechanical-digital adapter, or if a firmware upgrade has included a built in intervalometer as that's the main thing I'm after?

How long does the battery last, on avg, under general use?

Also how much does the af hunt at night in a city and can you manually focus to infinity?

Since the X-Pro-1 has no built in flash, there's less temptation to use it. Battery life isn't as good as the D700's but it's easy enough to swap out quickly when it gets low. I reckon 2-300 shots currently and that's on a new battery that isn't fully "run in" yet, although I think it will probably settle at about 250-350.

I like the mechanical cable release and wish it was standard again! I'm sure there were intervalometers available many years ago that were clockwork, although who made them and where you'd find one now is another question!

I haven't been city shooting at night with mine yet but I know its baby cousins (the X-F1 and X-20) are reasonably snappy focussing on buildings. As far as MF to infinity, can't see why not!

When it comes to low light levels, I will lower the ISO, close up the aperture and put it on a tripod virtually every time. If it's fast action stuff outside I will use balanced or fill in flash. Inside bounced flash?providing the ceilings are white and not to high bearing in mind the inverse square law. I normally combine this with a few shots handheld on a high ISO. I virtually always use a combination of techniques and seldom stick to one unless time is tight or it's a grab shot. 80% of my work is planned in advance.

Last edited:
I've been offered an X-Pro1 and 14mm lens for about 600 quid (I'm in New Zealand hence the rough conversion). I've already got an X100S which I love but very tempted to add the XP1 and use it purely for landscapes to begin with.

Anyone else do the same and is 600 quid a fair price (camera and lens in good condition, boxed with accessories).

A second-hand body sells for somewhere between £400 and £500 over here so with the 14mm lens, that seems like a real bargain!

Yeah agree with Dean, second hand X-pro1 is around £400 and second hand 14mm on ebay seem to go for around £450 or so, £550 on fuji refurb site (prices are UK) so yeah that is a good deal I would say!

14mm makes a cracking landscape prime so a lot of people say, its certainly on my radar.

Buy buy buy! Its a fantastic combo. I love mine!
I had an x100s. When I got a xpro1 I sold the 100 and bought a second xpro1

Well I've decided to take the plunge and put my kit on the bay :D

Also is the thumbs up grip really worth the cost?

Just pulled the trigger on the 10-24 :) wanted the 14, but need that extra width for band shoots and the versatility of the zoom wins!

Just pulled the trigger on the 10-24 :) wanted the 14, but need that extra width for band shoots and the versatility of the zoom wins!

You are not helping me resist buying it until I've sold some other kit. And no one suggest I buy it, then sell the other kit - I'm putting my fingers in my ears and singing 'la-la-la can't hear you'.

I'm sure that'll work. :confused:

My 60mm is being traded in against a 10-24. The 60mm was my choice of free lens with the X-Pro1 deal when I bought it but my D700 and 105mm does true 1:1 macro and portability for macro isn't as important to me as wide angles are!

Thanks for the feedback guys, have been given the nod by the wife and will pick up the new toys at the weekend :)

Thanks for the feedback guys, have been given the nod by the wife and will pick up the new toys at the weekend :)

Welcome to the Dark Side. You'll love it!

Unknown.jpg

I've been offered an X-Pro1 and 14mm lens for about 600 quid (I'm in New Zealand hence the rough conversion). I've already got an X100S which I love but very tempted to add the XP1 and use it purely for landscapes to begin with.

Anyone else do the same and is 600 quid a fair price (camera and lens in good condition, boxed with accessories).

Bargain go for it :)

Just a quick heads up that there are some xpro1 grips on ebay at the moment for £23.80 shipped from HK. Arca Swiss plate and access to the battery compartment. They are by Neewer so it's going to be good quality and looks exactly like the ishoot grip (which I have on my X-E1 and is brilliant). For 24 notes it's an utter steal. Already got my order in!
Ordered mine on April 26th and it's just arrived. Excellent quality, as promised. Weirdly, it's come with a return address in Swansea :confused: but the upside is no customs!! :)

Fits a treat and looks good along with the Lensmate thumb-grip, Gariz softie & excellent Footprint wrist-strap. Just need to get off my arse, get out and shoot now :runaway:

View attachment 11062

Showing in stock at Wex (and as long as I keep breathing normally, I won't pull the trigger on it ...)

Be aware that WEX's stock control sometimes shows stuff in stock when you check online but is actually OOS when you order. If you need it for a particular date, phone them to check actual stock levels.

My 10-24 is on order and the 60mm is in protective custody so I don't drop it in the meantime!

Be aware that WEX's stock control sometimes shows stuff in stock when you check online but is actually OOS when you order. If you need it for a particular date, phone them to check actual stock levels.

My 10-24 is on order and the 60mm is in protective custody so I don't drop it in the meantime!

Cliftons notified me last night that they are expecting shipment from fuji to arrive on Wednesday, same for Wex maybe?

No idea! Mine is coming through my local shop (who cater for local people but also have a web shop for Others!) and they'll phone me when it's in.

Yup, cheers.

As much as I like saving a few quid the match technical one looks to take more of the force off the flash mount with the stand off that sits on the top of the camera. It's a tad on the expensive side though and availability is horrendous :nailbiting:

Anyone know of a UK supplier?

Last edited:
Back