The Official Fuji X Pro 1 Thread

In an ideal world, I would have liked it to be 3-4mm longer to provide just a tad more "protection" from nudging the Exp-Comp dial.

Hi All,

Had my XPro 1 a few weeks now and love it. Currently have the 35mm on it and looking to get something a bid wider for street photography and the odd landscape and indoor shots.
I'm thinking of getting the the 18mm prime, but thinking the 18-55 would be of more use. Any one got any ideas which is the better lens?
Is it worth going for the prime or zoom 'just in case'??

Thankyou!

Forgot to say, i have the adaptor to fit my Nikon glass to the fuji, but want the autofocus.

Personally, I like the flexibility the zoom gives me and I'm not a huge fan of shallow DoF anyway so I'm considering selling my 18mm. I'll be deciding after a holiday which will be in about 6 weeks if you can wait that long. I'll be taking it on holiday and experimenting to see if it offers much in terms of IQ over the zooms (I'm getting the 10-24 soon so will be triplicating the 18mm length if I keep the prime). TBH, since the idea of the X series (for me) is compactness and lightness, I can see the prime going in the classifieds. Watch that space!

Agree about the primes, but i have a D7000 plus zooms and a prime and dont want to replicate what i already have. Saying that, the D7000 has stayed in the bag since the fuji arrived :)

My personal favourite in the Fuji line up is the 23mm, it's as good as the. 35mm if not better. It's surprisingly good for portraits and to put your subjects into a contextual environment. Suburb bokeh at f1.4 if I had to buy only one lens then this would be it. The ideal street and landscape lens. This is very closely followed by the x mount Zeiss Touit 50mm which is excellent.

Just been offered the loan of a 55-200mm lens for a couple of weeks or so as my Brother's off on his holibobs and decided not to take his with him... would be rude not too now wouldn't it :)

Just been offered the loan of a 55-200mm lens for a couple of weeks or so as my Brother's off on his holibobs and decided not to take his with him... would be rude not too now wouldn't it :)
If you're worried in any way about taking him up on his kind offer - you could fling it my way & I'd be happy to keep an eye on it for you ;)

If you're worried in any way about taking him up on his kind offer - you could fling it my way & I'd be happy to keep an eye on it for you ;)

I'm really excited to try. The longest lens I've ever owned was a 100mm F/2 on my 5D so this will feel like a bazooka!

Mind you, the owners already warned me I'm likely to walk away thinking my money would be more wisely spent better on different sized lenses. I guess that's why it's not going on holiday with the rest of his kit!!

I'm really excited to try. The longest lens I've ever owned was a 100mm F/2 on my 5D so this will feel like a bazooka!

Mind you, the owners already warned me I'm likely to walk away thinking my money would be more wisely spent better on different sized lenses. I guess that's why it's not going on holiday with the rest of his kit!!

I think you'll be pleasantly suprised how good that lens is, you won't want to give it back.

10-20? Looking back, you were getting the 10-24. Hopefully mine will be in soon...

I'm thinking of getting the the 18mm prime, but thinking the 18-55 would be of more use. Any one got any ideas which is the better lens?

Personally, I'm only using primes on my fuji setup, no strong bias against zooms but have all that covered with my nikon gear and simply enjoy the use of primes with the fuji, the 18mm is a nice lens, do you use the optical viewfinder? - if you do you'll appreciate the way it switches magnification to match the 35 and 18mm lenses

Personally, I'm only using primes on my fuji setup, no strong bias against zooms but have all that covered with my nikon gear and simply enjoy the use of primes with the fuji, the 18mm is a nice lens, do you use the optical viewfinder? - if you do you'll appreciate the way it switches magnification to match the 35 and 18mm lenses

I am the other way,i am mainly using zoom have a couple prime for when i need the large apertures,really looking forward to the 16-55 F2.8 & maybe the 18-135mm,i am all Fuji now all my Nikon gears gone now :)

I am the other way,i am mainly using zoom have a couple prime for when i need the large apertures,really looking forward to the 16-55 F2.8 & maybe the 18-135mm,i am all Fuji now all my Nikon gears gone now :)

I'm not quite ready to let go of my main gear just yet although those upcoming 2.8 zooms will make me review the situation

Shot a live theatre event last night using the XPRO1 - results are looking good but 'man' the RAW to DNG conversions are slow in LR5!

I'm not quite ready to let go of my main gear just yet although those upcoming 2.8 zooms will make me review the situation

It was due to the weight,i just couldn't carry around an DSLR kit anymore,i really liked my D700 with the 24-70mm,i do miss it a bit :(

Just ordered the 23mm from DR, going to order x-pro and 35mm in a couple of days can't wait :D

Typo :/ tis indeed 10-24

Thought it probably was but did wonder if Sigma had decided to support the X mount!

Come on, Fuji - send mine out! (AND the chap in front of me in the queue's!)

Just ordered a grip from MBP as they had one at a good price... I've been umming and arring about one ever since I bought the camera, so decided I'm going to give one a try.

Hopefully it should be with me tomorrow :)

I brought an original fuji grip for mine off here last week - what a difference!! Much better (for me), gives it a much more secure and comfy feeling in the hands :)

Also invested in two Jupiter lenses and an adapter. they are the 9 (85mm f2) and the 11 (135mm f4). Both take cracking shots for the price and look oh so nice on the fuji. Just need to get a footprint strap now.

:agree::mad:
At least I hope you do. Hopefully mine will be here next week for me to enjoy using!

Had the chance to pick up the 55-200mm lens I'm borrowing for a couple of weeks this morning - only took a couple of test shots and I'm already wondering how many kidneys I need to sell to raise the funds to buy one! :D

something nice waiting for me when I got home :)

lens by AlternatePixel, on Flickr

lovely and wide and need to start shooting raw more to get the best out of it!
Paul - What grip is that your using? Neewer? Is it comfortable?
Nice looking lens also. Be good to see a shot taken with it :)

Nick - Thats a great shot with what seems a stunning lens. I feel a little saving up is in order for that one! Dear Santa…..

Here's one taken on 10mm-24mm
http://flic.kr/p/ngcsDA
Very photogenic corner of the world... Great shot.
Dammit - that could become my "walkabout" lens of choice...... Now, if I sold my 18mm, that could offset some of the cost, and if I told SWMBO that I can't afford to go on holiday this year............... :exit:

Hmm... My 60mm is already in the shop as trade in against the 10-24. Wonder how much the 18 would be worth since the 10-24 will triple up my coverage of that focal length...

HURRY UP AND SEND MINE DOWN PLEASE MR FUJI!!!

Had the chance to pick up the 55-200mm lens I'm borrowing for a couple of weeks this morning - only took a couple of test shots and I'm already wondering how many kidneys I need to sell to raise the funds to buy one! :D

Just picked up a 55-200 myself, same awesome fuji IQ, quick too, well happy.

Paul - What grip is that your using? Neewer? Is it comfortable?
Nice looking lens also. Be good to see a shot taken with it :)
It is the Neewer grip, bargain for £23! Very well made and comfortable... Not sure I'd enjoy using a hefty lens without it. Not really had chance to get out with the 10-24 but will post shots we I do :)

Back