The Ultimate Car Rig Photography Thread!

One of my rig shots is on the front cover of Fast Ford Magazine this month, heavily edited as the location was rubbish, haven't seen inside to see what they used, but cool none the less! Not the best shot in the world, rest of the shoot was indoors so wasn't really expecting them to use it!

Not bad for my 2nd time using the CCR rig! ha.

Rubbish photo too, apologies, pinched off a friends FB.

SCywvIq.jpg

First post ... new to rig shots but not new to photography ... ive spent a good while reading though and its a fantastic thread ... im going to build a rig .. im finding it hard to decide what poles to use as im on a bit of a tight budget, i would like to have something usable even if its not state of the art then maybe upgrade as my skills progress .. ive lost off with what you regulars are using as your rigs have changed so much from the beginning of the thread. Could any of you kind lads tell me where i could start with poles. Is ali or galvinized steel poles with a T piece and a support wire too heavy ?? . Im going for decent suction mounts (F1000 or GGR Glass 32kg) and super clamps with either a magic arm or a Manfrotto 155 Double Ball Joint head . also i would like to find where i can buy the solid extension poles similar to the Hague kit that attach to the sucker so i can have height adjustment, anyone got a link to just the extension poles. Any help and clarification would be appreciated.

Welcome gaz. I still have my old 4m pole that you can have cheap if your interested.

First post ... new to rig shots but not new to photography ... ive spent a good while reading though and its a fantastic thread ... im going to build a rig .. im finding it hard to decide what poles to use as im on a bit of a tight budget, i would like to have something usable even if its not state of the art then maybe upgrade as my skills progress .. ive lost off with what you regulars are using as your rigs have changed so much from the beginning of the thread. Could any of you kind lads tell me where i could start with poles. Is ali or galvinized steel poles with a T piece and a support wire too heavy ?? . Im going for decent suction mounts (F1000 or GGR Glass 32kg) and super clamps with either a magic arm or a Manfrotto 155 Double Ball Joint head . also i would like to find where i can buy the solid extension poles similar to the Hague kit that attach to the sucker so i can have height adjustment, anyone got a link to just the extension poles. Any help and clarification would be appreciated.

hi and welcome :) glad to have you here!

I used an aluminum aerial mast with steel exhaust piping as joining sections. Mine had quite a bit of flex so I used a material ratchet strap to minimise this and keep the weight down. I added a "T" piece to one of the steel connectors to help with this.

I would say that while the magic arm is good, it is quite heavy and to be honest having changed to the double ball joint head it works perfectly and I would save your money.

For the extension poles, I have a carbon fibre 18" pole. I use it to add distance between the camera and the pole (makes it smaller in shot and easier to edit). I was just looking at it today actually and thinking of trying it as an extension upwards on the suction cup. So going to give that a go.

Look forward to seeing what you build. Be sure to post up in here with your progress and shots!

Sammy

Welcome gaz. I still have my old 4m pole that you can have cheap if your interested.
Thanks for the replies ..send me a pm mattemus with some pics and details im very interested thanks. Sammy could I ask where you got your carbon poles from please as I cant find if you posted that earlier in the thread ...thanks chaps

yeah no problem, I got mine from @cardiff_gareth he is the man to sort you out if you're after one :)

yeah i assumed so ... i read that there were a few probs with bounce in the early posts about it ...has that been resolved now Sammy and do you use a T-peice and support wire with yours?. Could i also kindly ask @cardiff_gareth what the latest details as to specs and price of the carbon setup that he has been distributing and if he could mabye PM me some pics and specs please .... Also ide like to thank everyone for all their input on this thread , its been a fantastic read and very nice that everyone shares their experiences and tips :banana::banana:

Has anyone been looking into making there own carbon rig as ive been trying to build one and can either to get someone to supply the carbon but get nothing for a sleeve/connection or can get one that will fit together but will only do upto 2mm thickness wall and i want 3 as would like to have a 6m rig with the possibility of 7.5m in 1.5m sections

Has anyone been looking into making there own carbon rig as ive been trying to build one and can either to get someone to supply the carbon but get nothing for a sleeve/connection or can get one that will fit together but will only do upto 2mm thickness wall and i want 3 as would like to have a 6m rig with the possibility of 7.5m in 1.5m sections

I wouldn't know where to start. Would it be much cheaper/easier than just buying one like Gareth sells?

@Gaz Photography. The current pole is 6 metres long which is 3 x 2m sections, telescopic within one another with locking clamps. Prices are £250 delivered to UK addresses. I'll update with newer pictures of the pole and also the brackets.

@sduk cheers Sammy :) :)

what thickness if the pole please as i might be interested?

I wouldn't know where to start. Would it be much cheaper/easier than just buying one like Gareth sells?

and all depends on the spec on what i want tbh. Not looked at that pole so it may be an option

Well my bits have started to arrive. I've got the suction pumps, the clamps, and magic arm. Just need to find a cheap pole that I can pick up local and I'm laughing. If I can find one tonight I may have a play before the sun dies.

Exactly the rig I have, plus a magic arm.

Cons, the pole isn't hugely long, works better with the magic arm to add/adjust more. It's a big heavy, strong pole that doesn't bounce.
Pros - at no point have the suction cups given way, or left marks. They come with covers for the rubber parts. Short lengths on top of the suction cups means you have adjustment up and down, which is very handy.

This was shot with a 50D and ef-s 10-22. Haven't tried with my 5d yet.
140689537.jpg

This was the rig mounted on the boot of a MX-5, 400D and 50D mounted to it and remote triggered by me driving behind in the car being photographed.

140908143.jpg

11087789_490913001056831_3656662830674054294_o.jpg

Not about the car, but the location this one.

It's a pretty boring corner of a large car park but I'm looking at locations and trying to imagine them in motion. With the hatched markings here and stuff on the edge of the car park I imagined this might look like the corner of a race track, the background hopefully looking like advertising hoardings and the hatched markings like corner rumble strips.

Pretty happy myself but need to ideally introduce some red into the corner markings - reckon it works?

Latest from me! Been so busy with proper photography jobs lately not had time to get the rig out. With the nice weather lately I decided to spare half an hour today.

Not 100% happy but getting sharper more reliable results now!

VW Golf R32 by MattSmithh, on Flickr

I follow this thread and it's great what you guys do!! Any of you local (gloucestershire) would love to come see setup and prep before I load out my wallet [emoji51] and try attempt/learn/self teach ha!

More testing for me too tonight. More on time spent getting set up and down and location hunting. Found a top little spot quiet and perfect for evening shoots into the sun. Sorry for IMG link from Facebook...

11110205_491547544326710_6584596567988134024_o.jpg

@shootthefuture - Got a black MK4 R32 to do myself, love them.

Great work as always fellas, Sammy that GTR shot (with the cup on the windscreen) looks a nightmare to PS out, will be interested in the results! Love the drift trike, saw that on facebook.

Managed to get out today and rig a mates Ibiza TDI, trying to get images as sharp as possible with some good hit rates! Posted the shot straight out of camera and then edited!

IMG_5628 by MattSmithh, on Flickr
IMG_5628-Edit by MattSmithh, on Flickr

Back