TP Remembrance thread

A beautiful thread remembering so many people who gave their all and continue to do so. God Bless Them All.

there's a few stories behind these eyes, I bet

4752679799_16d8092e9b_b.jpg

Polish War Graves taken from the Monastery at Montecassino
PolishWarGraves.jpg

Montecassino War Graves
MontecassinoWarGraves.jpg

War Graves with Montecassino Monastery on the hill
MontecassinoMonestry.jpg

My wife and I went to Rome and Sorrento in 2001 & 2003 and on the way from Rome we stopped at Montecassino.

We visited the War Graves Commission cemetary at Montecassino, just row upon row of pristine white markers with the names, ages and regiment (if known) of the fallen. Young men aged from 16yrs old......they gave their lives for the monastery.

People were just walking around, tears in their eyes and lumps in their throats, not a word was spoken as we passed each other just a nod.

When we got back on the coach no one said a word for what seemed like hours and the rest of the trip to Sorrento was in a very sombre mood.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made a visit to the Somme battlefields last year where my grandfather was wounded twice. It was a very moving experience.

The Christmas Truce
IMG_a0733.jpg

German Jews fought alongside their countrymen in the conflict, how different in WWII. All sides suffered the anguish of the loss of loved ones, we all weep together.

IMG_a0858.jpg

These photos were taken in 2009 on a school trip to the battlefields of WW1. Very moving experience, the sheer scale of some of the cemeteries really bought it home. All of these photos were taken on a 3.2mp compact so they're a little sketchy.

BattlefielsPics09008.jpg

This was a german cemetery, contrasted completely to ours. Very dark and eerie.

BattlefielsPics09018.jpg

I did attend the 11 o'clock silence today with the 50d but it just seemed inappropriate to even get it out of the bag.

This is an amazing thread and some lovely images keep it up guys and girls.

Never forget!

this morning

Halfway Village near Cambuslang, Glasgow

cairn with plaque commemorating those who left for distant shores from Newton Train Station
15a7ab3b.jpg

and the path across the fields....so many memories here
e7e5a44d.jpg

.[Kodak P&S]

I think this is the resting place of the highest ranking British soldier killed in Afghanistan. Brookwood Cemetery, Surrey, yesterday. So recently buried they haven't fitted his headstone. Very sad and puts everything at the cemetery into perspective. They all had families who loved them. Some detail about him in the link below. Such a waste of life.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...geantMarkTerenceBurganKilledInAfghanistan.htm

65018873.jpg

81190310.jpg

16987484.jpg

88533912.jpg

64330303.jpg

Last edited:
Ceebs said:
I think this is the resting place of the highest ranking British soldier killed in Afghanistan.

Just as a note of accuracy Ceebs, that dubious accolade rests with Lt Col Rupert Thorneloe, Welsh Guards, their CO, who was killed on 1st July 2009 and the most senior officer to die on operations since Lt Col H Jones VC, Para, in 1982.

Here are a couple of the Merchent Navy War Memorial in Cardiff Bay.

A beautiful sculpture befitting of the brave men and boys who are so often overlooked.

war_memorial_2_s.jpg

war_memorial_1_s.jpg

2 shots today of small Commonwealth Cemetery near where I live in France.

British_Cem_2.jpg

British_Cem_3.jpg

Basingstoke:

6340281783_a971624e4c_b.jpg

6341040972_d80bbbd7fc_b.jpg

6340300731_b02dcb452c_z.jpg

Wow this thread has turned out to be a brilliant moving tribute. Here is another from me inspired by GeordieLass

Danbo's Respect by Richo_I, on Flickr

Last edited:
Inspired by some superb shots in the forum, here is my effort taken earlier today.

For_upload_2.jpg

Many moving images on here.Thanks to everyone.
(Anyone know know a good site which says what the ribbon designs on the medals mean?)

Just like to add this

A veteran or serving forces personnel, is someone who once wrote a cheque made payable to “Great Britain” for an amount of “Up to and including my Life” too many where cashed, wear a poppy with pride.

Had no internet for 7 days!:bang:
here's one of mine from last Sunday,I attend every year and have never seen such a big turn out!
Fantastic :clap:

6350889853_c3a2c89a26_z.jpg

Back