Worried about my Ebay purchase!

Yeah Trig I missed it in the photos so my mistake. Still providing all is working alright, then I still think I got a good deal.

I'll take some test shots tomorrow night, but the real test will be the ai servo, I want to make sure mine is ok at tracking. I'm taking pics of footy on Saturday so that will be the acid test. Only then will I leave the feedback providing I am fully happy with it.

Rest assured all images will be put on this thread....gonna miss this thread you guys

As someone said earlier, thank god you're not buying from me!

He's delivered the goods, get some photographs taken quickly and get the poor chaps feedback sorted out so he can get paid!

Where else do you sell something and then have to wait until the customer decides that it's "just" right before he pays you?

If there are problems then you still get 90 days to make a claim, and you are covered by Paypal for all your money.

Get the poor chaps feedback left!!!!!!!

Don't wann rake up this thread for the hell of it guys but i'm a little concerned about this camera.

Have a look at this post i posted on Fredmiranda.com

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/891490

It appears my camera has been sold without a focussing screen. I am going to a camera shop at lunchtime to get this confirmed.

If it is the case then why would this not be mentioned in the original ebay listing:thinking:.....get's me thinking something else could be wrong with the camera.

Have you taken any pictures with it yet?

Don't wann rake up this thread for the hell of it guys but i'm a little concerned about this camera.

Have a look at this post i posted on Fredmiranda.com

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/891490

It appears my camera has been sold without a focussing screen. I am going to a camera shop at lunchtime to get this confirmed.

If it is the case then why would this not be mentioned in the original ebay listing:thinking:.....get's me thinking something else could be wrong with the camera.

I've read your post on FM..... Seems that a few there have mentioned the same thing...

Either get in touch with them (Mmmmm after the wait of them sending/replying earlier) or if your not that happy with it then return it - did he have a return option on the original listing?

£1270 is a lot of money to let go.....

If not you can go down the road of a PP/Ebay claim for NAD... But until you decide what road to go down to dont do anything to the camera... Get the info from the camera shop in writing in whats wrong with the camera..

I noticed that one mention to get the camera cleaned... Seems a bit worrying for someone to mention that on there too...

How comes you asked on FM & not on TP? Surely the guys here would have helped you out with advice....

Last edited:
Yes and they are all coming out very over exposed. I think this is to do with the lack of focussing screen as this is linked to the metering the camera is set on.

Also the view in the viewfinder is really dark when I manually turn the focus on my lens the viewfinder seems to narrow and get much darker as if it is vignetting, so it's making it difficult to use the camera

Hi Steve, only asked there to get as many opinions as possible.

If he failed to mention a lack of focussing screen in the listing, and it turns out not to have one. Is that good enough reason for me to file a not as described complaint to ebay?

If it does end up that it is s'posed to have one & it has not got one then yes I would put in a claim..

You need to wait 7 days first IIRC but check up on that or even contact Ebay themselves - But ask the seller as well - if he ignores you then he had something to hide, which is more "ammo" for you regarding your claim...

If it does end up going that way then take photo's of the camera from every angle - esp if you are to return it & get it well packed & tracked...

See what the camera shop has to say 7 get them if they can to put it in writing - with their name printed on it....

Buyer beware also springs to mind

If the rest of the camera checks out ok see how much a new screen would be, might still be a bargain

I did look a couple of days ago for that listing - I found it but cant seem to find it again as it's not in the date range available to see now...

As he had a few other items for sale as well - canon wise. didn't he..

What he was mentioning in some of his listings were/seemed a litte weird for my liking... But as I cant foind these I can't really confirm that comment IYSWIM...

Well guys I've just been to two camera shops and both confirmed there is no screen present. Both seem quite baffled as to why someone would sell a camera without one.

that pretty much confirmed my opinion that I am returning the camera for a full refund. I have phoned the seller and he had no idea where the screen was even though he says he's owned the camera from new:thinking:

DODGY:naughty:

Anyway he has agreed to refund me, even though he says he has an account with Calumet and that if I wanted I could drop it into one of their stores for a full service:thinking:

Anyway just waiting for him to reply to my email with his address so I can send it back.

Gonna cost me £20 to send it back but i'll happily pay that to get my £1270 back

not such a good deal after all:bang:

The camera shops you went to, were not high street ones were they? (as some people working in some shops cannot tell a card from a cat)

I would go to a shop that repairs cameras and not just sells them (maybe you already did, if yes then good!).

not such a good deal after all:bang:

You wasn't to know that was you .... You thought that you was like many of us would I would have beenin the same boat.... As the ole saying goes "there is always one bad apple that spoils the barrell"

You could have brought a new camera and had problems,just the luck of the draw... Just remind me not to ask you for any lottery numbers thou ;)

That would have taken 2 mins to type but my space bar aint working properly - prob full of crumbs..... Never eat & type at the same time folks!!!!

Last edited:
The camera shops you went to, were not high street ones were they? (as some people working in some shops cannot tell a card from a cat)

I would go to a shop that repairs cameras and not just sells them (maybe you already did, if yes then good!).

I went to Jacobs, and Dale Photographic in Leeds. They both know their stuff. To be honest I knew it didn't have one. I just went there to get confirmation. Looking through that viewfinder was like looking straight through the lens.

So whats gonna be on the ole agenda now once this has all been sorted... Will you be trying a wanted ad in the classifieds thats if your still going to be after another one...:shrug:

If your'e filing an item not as described claim with paypal you should also get your postage refunded by the seller.

If your'e filing an item not as described claim with paypal you should also get your postage refunded by the seller.

The original postage he will... but not the cost for returning it

how far away is the seller from you..... It's just i wouldn't be too comfortable sending back £1200 worth of kit on the hope that he refunds.....

Saying that though, your earlier posts say that paypla is holding the funds. Have you called them and advised on the situation?

Good luck finding your new camera

Well just got back in from football and checked my emails for an address to return the camera and there's no reply.

i said on the phone to check his email and reply to it, also texted him to remind him.

Anyway I have just opened a dispute on Ebay. Some of you may think i'm acting a little rash, not giving him enough time to reply to my email, but given his lack of communication and the fact i waited 2 weeks for delivery I figured I may as well get Ebay involved sooner rather than later.

By the way once I get refunded I will be in the market for another 1D mark iii so if any of you know of anywhere I can get a great deal on one that'd be great ps must have a focussing screen:LOL:

This transaction had trouble written all over it from the beginning I think. Take ore care next time!

By the way once I get refunded I will be in the market for another 1D mark iii so if any of you know of anywhere I can get a great deal on one that'd be great ps must have a focussing screen:LOL:

my advice would be next time ask questions before hand and most of all - get photo's before paying anything & get them sent to your email address and checkthe exif data (so that you know when they were taken) or best of all - Stick a wanted ad up on here ;)

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or having a dig at all, but perhaps your criteria for purchasing a used mkIII should tip the scales towards quality and authenticity rather than looking for a bargain. You'd probably only save a couple of hundred pounds anyway.

MPB have some mkIII's for sale, not sure if they come with any warranty (perhaps 6 months?).

Last edited:
Dont take this the wrong way but hopefully you have learnt your lesson and will not look for those 'great deals' If it looks too much like a great deal there is probably a reason for it. If was buying a camera of this value SH I would probably want to see it in person or only buy off someone that has great feedback on here. Based on experience I would rather spend a couple of hundred extra than go through the risks on ebay and have the hassle that you have had.

Ive got one you can have for £450, please send the "cash" to my uncle in Nigeria.

Sorry to hear what's happened. Hope you get it all sorted out.

Lisa

I picked up a 1DMkIII from park cameras for £1400 inc two batteries and a warranty. LINKKThey have one at the moment. Haggle and you'll get the price down.

Open a dispute via paypal as it's them who refund your money, not the seller.
I've been on the selling end to a dodgy buyer before, very nasty but from the buyers point of view, he got everything he wanted and I ended up with my 'once perfectly fine laptop' returned filthy and broken with missing parts.. And if I wanted my money back from paypal, I had to return the laptop tracked to their warehouse in the USA, which wouldve cost over half of what thelaptop was now worth.
Basically As a seller you'd be stuffed, but you're not, you're a buyer and an honest one at that, paypal will love you!

Louise can i open a dispute with paypal even though I have yet to return the item. He seems to be stalling on emailing his home address.

because he knows you plan to return it.........:shrug:

phone Paypal - I assume they STILL have not released his money

so you are still in the driving seat

:agree:

Either phone them or open the dispute... The sooner you open the dispute, Paypal with place a hold on the funds (althou you have been told they wont release them till you are happy) So he cant withdraw them anyhow even if he tried too - just keep all emails etc so if paypal need them you have them to hand.

Once you open the claim Paypal would notify him anyway with a copy of what you have said in your claim...

Do it sooner than later..... Get the ball rolling

Louise can i open a dispute with paypal even though I have yet to return the item. He seems to be stalling on emailing his home address.

Yep that's the idea :) Just open a SNAD dispute (significantly not as described) I think that's what it's called, and then you get the opportunity to write a message to the seller as to why you've opened a dispute, he then has two options.
First option is that he agrees to refund your money, in which case paypal will deal with it and he then owes paypal, you will then need to cover the cost of postage and provide paypal with a tracking number, which is then when they should release your money back to you (when this clown returned my laptop he only sent it first class recorded which only covers the item for £33 I think! He didn't even wrap the damn thing, just taped up the box and write my address on it!) But of course you don't need to do that!
The other option for him is to try to resolve the situation, for example, send you more money to fix it, etc etc. All messages sent to and from the seller are kept in a log for paypal to look over once the seller decides to refund or part refund, etc etc. If you start the message off stating that you have agreed between you that he will refund you, then he should just click a button which will take it straight to paypal.

Sorry if that doesn't make much sense. Whatever happens, do it through paypal, do NOT send it off and expect a refund as it may turn out that you don't get one, and paypal/ebay won't give a rats butt because you didn't do it through them. If you do it through paypal, you will get your money back as I learnt as an honest seller to a nasty buyer, the buyer ALWAYS wins, no matter how honest or dishonest they are!

Good luck, I'm now wrapped up in this thread as much as everyone else is :p

PS, this may interest you: https://www.paypal-talk.co.uk/ lots of good/bad stories and questions. you can always ask over there if you're not 100% sure. And I've found that once you get through to paypal on the phone, they are generally very helpful.

PPS, if you go through paypal, they will provide you with the return address. So long as you get a tracking number to them then it doesn't matter if the item never arrives back with the seller, that's then his problem and he can deal with paypal himself. :)

PPPS, I just remember getting a letter through the post from a claims company saying if I didn't refund my money to paypal then they will send the bailiffs round.

Another reason why you, the buyer are in good hands with paypal! NEVER sell anything expensive through fleabay!

Mate you should be dealing with paypal Not the seller, he's tried to stuff you once, he'll have no hesitation in doing it again,
Do as Louise-Knight said, file a not as described claim and- DO IT NOW.

Back