Recent content by sk66

  1. sk66

    I want a lighter tripod ...or do I

    Well, with birding it's often just about spotting/ID at distance. "Critical image" isn't as big of an issue, so you can get away with a less clear/sharp (stable) view... So yeah, I think you could get away with a lighter set of legs.
  2. sk66

    Latest LR update thumbs down

    It works for me; with the previous update as well... M1 MBP, OS 27.0
  3. sk66

    Photographing Badgers in the dark

    I would use a constant light instead of flash. The animals will get used to it quickly and it is generally much less bothersome to them than flash is. This was taken using a common work light. Red Fox by Steven Kersting, on Flickr
  4. sk66

    Minimalism..?

    I wouldn't consider this a minimalist image as such... the image doesn't really "read/convey" any differently with more/less of the negative space MO.
  5. sk66

    Minimalism..?

    IMO, minimalism is as much about what you don't see (space/detail/etc) as it is about what is included in the image (the subject). I would consider these minimalist: A Tree Ver 2.0 by Steven Kersting, on Flickr Because of the lack of detail and amount of space (mood) Indian dancer by...
  6. sk66

    On Perspective Control....

    Corrected...
  7. sk66

    On Perspective Control....

    It is a combination. I'll give a situational example: You are 10 ft away from your subject and the BG is 10ft behind that (20ft), and you are using a 50mm lens. Instead you decide you want to double the FL to 100mm lens and keep the subject the same size. In order to do that you have to also...
  8. sk66

    Rules for posting pics

    Most generated links have both. e.g. this one from flickr. _SGK9392.jpg by Steven Kersting, on Flickr But if I strip out everything but the embed portion it still works and breaks the redirect/hotlink issue.
  9. sk66

    Rules for posting pics

    My understanding is that if you use a hot link for/with the image postimage is likely to use a redirect to adds/spam; and thats why they are often banned. But if you embed the image instead it should be fine. [URL] hotlink [img] embed
  10. sk66

    Original Brands vs Cheaper Copies – How Much Are We Really Paying For the Name?

    Over the last decade or so I have quit using Gitzo/RRS tripods and now have a couple of Leofoto models. But no, I would not say the Leofoto's are "better." In fact, none have tested as being quite as good. And I have seen examples of them not holding up quite as well (maybe... I've had issues...
  11. sk66

    Arca Swiss Lever Clamp

    IDT a screw clamp is likely to cause you to miss a particularly good shot. Good shots are not typically rushed. IMO, rushing is more likely to cause you to not get a shot. Leofoto is very good quality... I've switched to using a lot of their stuff (tripods, QD, etc)) over the years and moving...
  12. sk66

    Arca Swiss Lever Clamp

    The problem with lever types is that arca swiss plates are not standardized so the clamp can be too tight or too loose. You can get lever clamps that are adjustable, but a lot of times that just makes it a "quicker releasing screw clamp" because the adjustment is the screw tightened opposing...
  13. sk66

    Lightroom camera profiles

    I always create my own profile... it's actually a preset. Start by opening an image with whatever base profile you want to use. Then apply any default edits you want to apply to all images (baseline clarity, sharpening, calibration, etc, etc); and save that as a new preset. Then set that...
  14. sk66

    Nikon Z8 vs Z7ii for amateur photography?

    The Nikon 14-24/2.8 will give it a run... of course it costs 2x as much...
Back
Top