£148+ million - what would you do?

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
So the Euro-millions rollover winners from Suffolk have taken away over £148 million. I don't do the lottery (or any gambling) but if you do, what would you do with £148 million and would it change your life?

No72-Lottery.jpg

Hmmm..

I'd start by not having my face plastered all over the news. Next would be to carry on as normal for 6 months or so then quit my job and quietly retire to travel & pursue the hobbies I never seem to find time for.

(basically trying to not make it too obvious what I'd won)

With a win that big I expect a substantial amount would go to charity and & some spent on family members.eg paying off their mortgages, etc

It doesn't make people any happier than they were before. After a few months they are at the same level of happiness. That's the irony.

There are so many things you could do. Science research funding, business start up funding, area regeneration, Simon Cowell's assassination. Endless possibilities :)

Go off my head..too much at once. I'd rather get the money in stages...

i was discussing this the other day with someone and i said i can't understand people who go public and he told me that Camelot explain to winners that it will be very difficult to be anonymous with that sort of win and press etc.. will make it their mission to find you.. so often it's easier to just go public.

i don't buy it myself, i'd defo be anonymous, then i'd just fade into the background and go and see everywhere i want in the world and stay in the best hotels.

then i'd give Marcel £100,000 to have a Man United colour scheme in TP that can't be changed (y)

Round the world cruise in the best suite on the ship with the rest of the best rooms on the boat for friends and family to come along for the ride, then I'd buy myself a nice country pad with plenty of rooms and houses on the estate for family to live in, visit JLR and order myself some seriously nice cars, then I would be putting a call into canon to arrange a seriously impressive kit bag

Then I guess it would be time to throw a party like you've never seen before :woot:

That amount of money could seriously mess up lives.

I would buy property for the National Trust and give to much needed projects around the Country until it was down to a much more managable amount. What that amount would be, I'm not sure, but £300K would be a sensible life changing amount for me.

i was discussing this the other day with someone and i said i can't understand people who go public and he told me that Camelot explain to winners that it will be very difficult to be anonymous with that sort of win and press etc.. will make it their mission to find you.. so often it's easier to just go public.

I don't buy that from Camelot. I've never read a story about lottery winners being 'outed' like that at all. I may just read the wrong papers.

If you move to a new area no-one is going to know how you made your money anyway.

With a large sum like that and going public I'd wonder if that would make you a much bigger target for criminals? I doubt if Camelot release stats on how many lottery winners have been threatened with kidnap/extortion or whatever...

First thing would be trust funds or the like for the kids so they're set up. Then I'd set family and friends up. Then I'd go about enjoying myself doing and seeing things I can't afford to do now.

Buy a dive boat in Egypt, a dslr and housing and some seriously expensive dive equipment. I'd dive for a year, spending my time in the water to think what to do with myself for the rest of my life.

I'm 27, I'd need something to keep me busy,

whats the point of buying a ticket so you can give it all away? :thinking:

To be fair, the majority of £148 million could be £146 million, which would leave you in a very comfortable position of having £2 million in the bank.... and the knowledge that the other £146mil was helping possibly millions of people?

Hmmm..

I'd start by not having my face plastered all over the news. Next would be to carry on as normal for 6 months or so then quit my job and quietly retire to travel & pursue the hobbies I never seem to find time for.

(basically trying to not make it too obvious what I'd won)

With a win that big I expect a substantial amount would go to charity and & some spent on family members.eg paying off their mortgages, etc

(y)

Pretty much this. I'd likely still leave work pretty quickly, but I'd still need something to do. This would likely be some form of volunteering to maintain/improve the local country parks having had many years of enjoyment of them.

Most importantly, it's what it would allow me to do for others. Family and good friends mortgages paid off, and some pocket money for them too. Large (and anonymous) donations made to select charities etc.

The phrase "It wouldn't change me" is one I don't like. I would like to think I wouldn't change as a person (maintaining same friendships and opinions), but it would change what I do/don't do. For instance, I'm not likely to worry that Tesco's are now charging 5p extra on a tin of baked beans :LOL:

But, as it wasn't my ticket, it's all immaterial :LOL:

Well I'd probably have a hangover in the morning.....

Would have to have a large garage as well.......

leftcurl said:
i was discussing this the other day with someone and i said i can't understand people who go public and he told me that Camelot explain to winners that it will be very difficult to be anonymous with that sort of win and press etc..

I seem to remember the first winner of a rollover (£22m or something like that) opting to remain anonymous, although it was narrowed down a fair bit when it was disclosed that he was from the North of England and had a job :naughty: :exit:

I would spend a year going on every tour in the naturetrek brochure:D

i would stay up all night not leaving sight of the ticket

i would immediately contact the lottery and travel to get it verified

i would tell family only

call work and tell them i will not be there anymore effective immediately :)

once the money is in the bank i would have an interesting few days deciding what to do with it e.g provide for family and friends, investing, property etc

think my first major purchase would be a nice car... say an Audi R8 then it would be a new house then a holiday :)

WHY didn't I WIN!!!!!

I'd buy up the whole of Folkestone Harbour as well as it's old watchtower (turn it into a luxury home for myself) and my street next to it. I'd reinstate the harbour itself as a working marina and the the now-disused railway branch line into my own personal large scale train set (my own steam engine).
Oh, and I'd kick out all the ne'er do wells (and there's loads of them around here). I'd certainly bring the glory back to that part of Folkestone (I'm not interested in moving anywhere else).

I'd spend a while keeping quiet about it and planning the rest of my life. Although this wouldn't take six months :)

I know I'd want to be anonymous, even though this means we would have to keep it from the sister-in-law-from-hell. She doesn't use the Internet but she would still spread the word worldwide within minutes. It's what she does :bang:

I'd set up the two kids, er, adult offspring for life. Having had my daughter sign up to say she wouldn't donate everything to any of her dodgy left-wing causes. Then we would travel, and travel some more. Then travel. Oh, and buy Roman a decent right back.

I'd buy a very large house with lots of land and live there while planning and building a really high tech mansion to rival the batcave.

I'd go on a million pound shopping spree at Calumet.

I'd donate a purpose built meeting place and studio to my local camera club and make.myself president so it can be a club that's actually run properly.

I'd then spend the rest of my life doing whatever made me happy. Spending time with my kids and friends and going on loads of holidays. I'd be very generous with those that I like and love and very high and mighty to those that I don't.

Would £148m change me? Maybe just a little bit.

It would be cool to wander into Wex and order say 20 D4's and 20 5 D Mk III's with associated glass and then just give them away to friends on here.....

It would be cool to wander into Wex and order say 20 D4's and 20 5 D Mk III's with associated glass and then just give them away to friends on here.....

You forgot a couple of Sonys for the outcasts ;)

Vouchers would be easier as you'd bound to be left with 19 canons otherwise :D

All friends family members mortgages paid houses bought for those renting trust funds set up for my kid, nieces nephews and close friends kids, lumps sums of £100k to close friends and family would get a £1million each still leaving me over £75million nicely lock down £25million so can only touch interest every year blow £30million on sick kids who you can save/change lives then buy myself a d4 and d800 :) along with a baby range rover and a nice big house and have loads more kids! In a nutshell lol

So the Euro-millions rollover winners from Suffolk have taken away over £148 million. I don't do the lottery (or any gambling) but if you do, what would you do with £148 million and would it change your life?

What would I do?
I'd be paying a bloody great tax bill in a couple of years time. But if I managed 3% net, then I'd still be getting £12,000 a day in interest.

Should be able to get a decent home for about £10m.
Nice place in the sun for maybe £5m.
A few car options in the garage £1m.
Charity donations £10m.
A million pounds each to brothers / sisters-in-law. £3m.
Ten million into trust for each of the kids £30m.

Still got a lot left haven't I? (y) Over £90m

I'd go public and tell the press to publish in their paper for everyone to send me their begging letters telling me their their tales of woe. Then have replies sent to them all saying pee off "The moneys all mine" Muwhaha:D:D:LOL:

Far too much money for one couple to win. I think its bang out of order. It WILL screw their lives up, guarantee. Personally i think it should be capped at a million. That is more than enough for one person or couple. That way147 other people would be millionaires also.

I'd happily take up any that was more than you could manage ;)

Nah ....i'm a tightwad :D

Anyways ,i 've always thought there should be multiple winners on a rollover

Last edited:
Some folk have little imagination £148m is not that much really when you consider a yacht such as obramavic has, cost £1m a foot to buy. :)

Would it change your life, of course, it would anyone saying not is an idiot. Why would you need to gently fade away, it's not as if your going to move from your 2up 2 down to a semi in the next street. Your more than likely going to move town or country.

As for the size of the win bigger the better, I don't think there should even be the 4 draw cap on the lotto, run it till it's won, if you think it's too much for you then give it all to me.

Steven said £10 million for a decent home, well here maybe, but that's only a starter home in Jackson Hole Wyoming ( High on my list of place to live)
His £1m will buy one car (Bugatti Veyron)

Come on people stop thinking small :)

Buy houses 46mil worth better rates than the bank as for the other 100mil no idea

Some folk have little imagination £148m is not that much really when you consider a yacht such as obramavic has, cost £1m a foot to buy. :)

Would it change your life, of course, it would anyone saying not is an idiot. Why would you need to gently fade away, it's not as if your going to move from your 2up 2 down to a semi in the next street. Your more than likely going to move town or country.

As for the size of the win bigger the better, I don't think there should even be the 4 draw cap on the lotto, run it till it's won, if you think it's too much for you then give it all to me.

Steven said £10 million for a decent home, well here maybe, but that's only a starter home in Jackson Hole Wyoming ( High on my list of place to live)
His £1m will buy one car (Bugatti Veyron)

Come on people stop thinking small :)

I wouldn't have a Veyron. They're far to flash and vulgar for my liking.
Drop-top Bentley Azure, Convertible Audi R8, decently spec'd Range Rover, and I've still only spent half a million.

I'd buy the obvious stuff like camera gear, gadgets (etc) and then divvy a load out to immediate family, enough to see them and their kids good for a long long time. My mum and dad wouldn't want for anything and as I figure it, they've helped me more than I can remember and now they're retired, I'd make sure they could do the things they've always dreamed of.

One thing I've said for the last few years is I'd start up a business that could give people a chance. I'd probably have a photography business as a start, even if it was a training ground for aspiring togs or ones leaving university. It wouldn't be something to get me rich off, more to keep itself running so opening up opportunities for people.

For me I'd buy a chalet somewhere in the French Alps and leave it free to just go over when I want, or when mates and family want it.... snowboarding in the winter, cycling and walking in the summer months.

The missus would probably want to buy a house in either West Wales or the lakes for holidays (nothing flash, something cosy) and I'd make sure family could be closer to us in Rugby - obviously in a bigger house - so they don't miss out on seeing us and the nipper - we've had too long living hundreds of miles away from family, it'd be time to change that.

I'd buy a couple of cars; M5 estate as the everyday runabout, a mint Volvo 850 T5R or S60 R (always wanted one) plus I'd get something sporty like a 90s R32 Skyline or a classic 80s Supra. I'm not into Lambos and Ferraris - too poncey for my liking. The misses would have her dream car, a Nissan Figaro.

First holiday I'd take would be to Japan - loved it and always wanted to go back with Julie - and then we'd do a bit of a tour around France. A fishing trip with mates to Scandinavia, Tierra Del Fuego and/or Alaska would be on the cards too.

I'd do a parachute jump.

I'd buy all the ceramics tools and equipment for Julie to get back to doing what she does bet. After she's jacked her job in.

Then I'd fulfil one of my dreams - to milk a cow. Dressed as a stormtrooper.

Last edited:
Back