£148+ million - what would you do?

i wouldn't go public,however i hope they enjoy the readies

I've wondered this. Would it really be possible to keep things quiet AND have such a lifestyle change without arousing suspicions and having someone "feed the press" with your info?

Some folk have little imagination £148m is not that much really when you consider a yacht such as obramavic has, cost £1m a foot to buy. :)

Would it change your life, of course, it would anyone saying not is an idiot. Why would you need to gently fade away, it's not as if your going to move from your 2up 2 down to a semi in the next street. Your more than likely going to move town or country.

As for the size of the win bigger the better, I don't think there should even be the 4 draw cap on the lotto, run it till it's won, if you think it's too much for you then give it all to me.

<snip>

Come on people stop thinking small :)

Spot on (y) I don't understand why anyone who plays the Euro millions would want to give it away :shrug:

I'd run...I'd just run.

Splog said:
Spot on (y) I don't understand why anyone who plays the Euro millions would want to give it away :shrug:

Honestly? £148 MILLION and you'd keep it all to yourself? Even if I bought everything I could ever want I doubt I could even spend the interest on that much money.

Wouldn't it give you satisfaction to be able to change the lives of others?

Honestly? £148 MILLION and you'd keep it all to yourself? Even if I bought everything I could ever want I doubt I could even spend the interest on that much money.

Wouldn't it give you satisfaction to be able to change the lives of others?

Indeed it would! but not in a positive way......... for them :D

Then I'd fulfil one of my dreams - to milk a cow. Dressed as a stormtrooper.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:(y)(y)(y) and i thought I was the only one to have "odd" dreams!

Should you even win it, please can I have first dibs on being the official photographer?

Houses all over the world. 2 or 3 in chosen countries so I could pick and choose where to have a holiday. £300,000 each (buy 15-25) (7.5m)
Cars - 2 or 3. So I could pick which car to take depending on where im going to/how im feeling. Total spend of £100k (insurance would cost a bomb, im 19).
Cover parents, sister, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents and the rest. (£5m for mum, dad, sister. £500,000 for the rest.)
Give work colleagues a few quid £300,000.
-Spent/given away around £50m so far. £90m to go!

Buy a local house near where I live with a few acres of land. Smash house down, flatten land and make a 'Sport complex'. £10m. Add a club house etc. Mainly for Football but courts for tennis, basketball etc etc etc...

Final £80m. Give £20m to chosen charities (local) - Anon

£60m left. £10m to Norwich City fc - Anon.
£50m left. And im starting to struggle!

One thing I've said for the last few years is I'd start up a business .....

I remember one expert giving advice a long time ago saying that's the quickest way to lose your money, his theory being that if you wanted/could run your own business your would already be doing it. :thinking:

At least nobody has been stupid enough to say they'd buy a pub :LOL:

I remember one expert giving advice a long time ago saying that's the quickest way to lose your money, his theory being that if you wanted/could run your own business your would already be doing it. :thinking:

Maybe you're right, but the optimist in me says something worthwhile to help people who need a leg up would make me immensely proud. :)

At least nobody has been stupid enough to say they'd buy a pub :LOL:

Damn, I was just about to say that... :D

:LOL::LOL::LOL:(y)(y)(y) and i thought I was the only one to have "odd" dreams!

Should you even win it, please can I have first dibs on being the official photographer?

It was something I said I wanted to do by the time I was 30, which of course never panned out. I seriously have never milked a cow and there's a weird desire to do so. The stormtrooper thing is more because A) I want a stormtrooper suit, and B) it would make a great photo to go on the mantlepiece.

I'll give you shout when I get it organised :LOL:

Buy some country pad set aside enough to live off the interest then create a business to keep me busy. I'm still young so I don't really fancy retiring.

Forgot to say I would probably buy then full range of nikon lenses a few times over and some nice top spec cameras.

I would also buy the equivilant canon kit and video me dropping it from height just because I could

Forgot to say I would probably buy then full range of nikon lenses a few times over and some nice top spec cameras.

I would also buy the equivilant canon kit and video me dropping it from height just because I could

Suppose that one way of dumping £185K , that's if your only buying new canon lenses if adding secondhand then another £65K for the EF 1200 L :wacky:

I certainly wouldn't go public. I'm also not going to say what I'd do with the money neither. If I told you and then won, people would know I won.

no going public for me, still keep the kids at the same schools as i don't like the idea of boarding schools etc

So due to that I couldn't go travelling as i would get a letter from school about taking the kids out during term time.:bang:

Obviously look at buying a nicer home, or at least having one built on some greenbelt land i bought from a dodgy councillor, enough to do some shooting and clay pigeons (my other passions) and have a garage for the cars

Pay of the mortgages of family, give certain amount to each of them and then enjoy the rest on a couple of cars, weekend retreats, holiday homes.

I also would not just let my kids have a free ride, a trust fund would be set up and they will only get their hands on that money if they do well in their chosen subjects and profession and not just think they don't have to work hard at school and the bank of mum and dad would pay.

Somehow I don't like the idea of living too remote either, and attracting unsavoury characters in the night with their swag bags and ransom notes:shrug:

I'd set up a charity or co-operative bank that was completely honest and ethical and ensure that even if it was loss-making it would not divert from its principles and help it become profitable. I'd also buy a large country estate, a few nice cars and spend the rest of my life exploring my artistic and creative side.

Last edited:
i dont get these people that say "it wont change me". horlicks.

id buy a couple of homes around the world, some nice toys and then live off the interest.

Well, I have always been concious with money so doubt I would spend it willy nillly on stupid things.

Chellet in Austria, make sure my parents where comfortable in retirement, help a few other relatives and buy their houses for them, put some money in a pot for the nippers of the family for when they turn 18, over haul my old car and buy a new one though nothing fancy as I would be happy with an estate or even a kitted out van.

As to living off interest,, questionable as I would probably invest in something long term, a business or other though would do some serious investigation before any commitment.

I'd set up a charity or co-operative bank that was completely honest and ethical and ensure that even if it was loss-making it would not divert from its principles and help it become profitable. I'd also buy a large country estate, a few nice cars and spend the rest of my life exploring my artistic and creative side.

Nice. :clap:

If I won any large amount of cash, I wouldn't go public for a start as you just open yourself up to unwanted attention. Coupled with that, I also wouldn't share it around all of my family as most of them don't keep contact with my immediate family anyway lol. It would REALLY wind me up if all the family I never see and can never be bothered to pick up the phone or even say anything on facebook to me, to then just turn up and be like your best friends because you won the lottery.

Personally I'd set a good percentage of the funds aside for my home city of hull for youth projects and to try and bolster education here. The schooling round here isn't great and I really had to keep my head down to do well, and at 27, I'm still not all the way there yet (went to uni late due to the aforementioned).

I'd get myself and immediate family sorted out with nice properties for starters, then I'd look into how I could help out my friends.

Enjoy a little bit of cash (car(s), holidays etc) and look into how I could invest an amount of it to give me a decent income.

I'd like to think I'd help out with Charities, either with promotion, time and/or money.

As far as work was concerned..... I would try and keep everything as hush hush as possible and hand my notice in with full intentions of working my 2 month notice period and see how long it took for anyone to notice my change of attitude ;)

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be blatantly rude but I would definitely "work like I didn't need the money" :LOL:

I'd get myself and immediate family sorted out with nice properties for starters, then I'd look into how I could help out my friends.

Enjoy a little bit of cash (car(s), holidays etc) and look into how I could invest an amount of it to give me a decent income.

<snip>

You wouldn't need an income any more..... You would have £100+ million sitting somewhere for you to spend!

If I won I'd put an amount to one side to go and blow the lot. Just like in the film brewsters millions. Then I'd enjoy retirement and spend time traveling the world enjoyingy hobby. Taking photos.

I have far to much free time so I have thought through this.

Obviously no publicity.
Sort family out you know pay of debts, mortgages etc, get them something nice.

Next would be sorting out a donation of at least 1million to a little school in Torreon where my ex works as an English teacher, its a really poor school, no heating in winter, no computer access for the kids etc etc, yet the work they do there is amazing as are the kids, they work hard to give them a good education and a chance to get on in life rather than end up in the gangs and cartels.

I would also buy my doctors surgery a couple of portable ECG machines so they could do ECG's on housebound patients when needed and also each doctor and nurse a portable defibrillator that they could keep in their car for emergencies with both patients and the public in general.

I would give hefty donations to both the local hospice and our local homeless shelters as they both do a lot of good work with very little funding.

Next would come my friends, I would buy them each a gift so that would probably mean either camera's, guitars or computers lol.

Then after sorting my home so it was decorated and French windows fitted so I could access the balcony/rear garden I would spend a bit on myself on new camera's.
A Leica M9P, M mono, 35mm,50mm,75mm,90mm & 135mm lenses.
A Fuji XPro 1 + lenses, flash and M mount adaptor.
A macbook and CS6.

After that I would spend the time I have searching out disabled,sick and other people in need and help them out.

Last edited:
I asked a friend of mine what hed do or me if he won millions...and visa versa

He said. 'Provide me with a full time job of my choice working for him, except really well paid for the rest of my life'.....

'What would you do for me?' he asked beaming

I said. 'Well I was going to give you a million pounds....'

:bonk: :LOL:

Last edited:
You wouldn't need an income any more..... You would have £100+ million sitting somewhere for you to spend!

Yes, I agree but if you don't invest it the amount is still finite.

OK, the interest would be reasonable but with the right investment you can set up future generations of your family for many years to come.

Sort out immediate family first so they don't have to worry about money.

Then, appartments in places I want to visit more than once : London, Edinburgh, Paris, Rome, Venice, Italian lakes, Tokyo, NY, Monaco etc etc. A country house with a long driveway that can be turned into a speed hillclimb.

Put an improved version of the Hillman Imp engine back into production on a limited basis for people using them in motorsport :LOL:

Without a doubt it would change our lives but would it enrich them :shrug:

For me a nice house, car(s) and all the toys I can't afford at the moment :clap:

Oh and probably a very large walk in wardrobe for the wife :nuts:

If I won any large amount of cash, I wouldn't go public for a start as you just open yourself up to unwanted attention. Coupled with that, I also wouldn't share it around all of my family as most of them don't keep contact with my immediate family anyway lol. It would REALLY wind me up if all the family I never see and can never be bothered to pick up the phone or even say anything on facebook to me, to then just turn up and be like your best friends because you won the lottery.

Personally I'd set a good percentage of the funds aside for my home city of hull for youth projects and to try and bolster education here. The schooling round here isn't great and I really had to keep my head down to do well, and at 27, I'm still not all the way there yet (went to uni late due to the aforementioned).

I can name 20 relatives/other people that stick their noses up your arse and comment on fragrance when they smell money.

Some very, very close to home for me :bang:

But those that have been good and would probably argue the hell out of accepting anything would definitely get something as they have also helped me in the past without even thinking of reward.
Its also the same peoples kids I am thinking about setting up trust funds for, with the proviso they go on to do jobs that benefit people, as good an encouragement as any (y)

Thinking it over with the invest in business idea, I would like to do the secret millionaire bit, do a long bit of research into some small businesses and give them a leg up if worthy.

I actually wrote a list last week of the stuff I'd go out and buy immediately.
Consisted of Nikon bodies and lenses, Leica M9 and lenses, top spec discovery 4 and defender, nice country house, a few watches and a new drumkit.

I had only spent about a million!

I'd sort my parents out with a nice house and enough money for them to retire happily. I'd pay off my brothers mortgage and a little extra for spending, although not much as TBH he doesn't deserve it. I'd make sure my grandparents have nothing to worry about. I'd have dearly loved to get my granddad one last flight on Concorde, as he built it and was one of the first to fly in it, but even £150 million won't make that happen sadly.

I'd also then donate a considerable amount to the charity I have been involved in since I was 9. It's taken them 20 years to raise £250k to build a new building, I'd soon set that straight, plus extra on top to buy more aircraft and hire my dad full time! (he'd want that over retirement)

That's about it, everyone else can go swivel. None of my "friends" deserve anything really, there are never there for me unless they want something.

I would like to help some people who deserve it, but haven't asked for it, secret millionaire style, but without the tv cameras.

I always dreamed of going back to the Mercedes dealer who treated me and my boss like ****. He was genuinely going to buy one, but was in his work clothes ( we work in the oil industry, he is loaded but scruffy!) I've never been looked down on so much by anyone, he actually said "you couldn't afford it).
Well I'd buy the top of the range, all singing all dancing merc, cash. The drive the damn thing straight through the showroom. And out the otherside, then leave it there. Hellish waste, I know, but wouldn't half make me feel good!

This thread is sounding like the Miss World contestants being interviewed :LOL:

Did the winners say anything about gym membership or a personal trainer? I don't recall reading anything like that. Looking at the images of them they won't be around too long to enjoy their windfall.
I'm really pleased for them, it's a real life changer and I hope they make the most of it.

Back