£150 for a cup of tea & sandwich.

mex

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
OK you might get 2 cups and a sausage roll too, but thats what its going to cost you to join in at the royal street party to celebrate Brenda's 90th birthday. Surely one of the world's richest women can afford to put on a birthday spread for a small number of her subjects? and whats more there will be no karaoke!

OK you might get 2 cups and a sausage roll too, but thats what its going to cost you to join in at the royal street party to celebrate Brenda's 90th birthday. Surely one of the world's richest women can afford to put on a birthday spread for a small number of her subjects? and whats more there will be no karaoke!
Better be a bit better than the usual British tradition of leaving the sausage rolls cold in the plastic packaging from asda on the buffet table.

great,
another dissafected royal basher

I'm not into this kind of thing at all but would imagine it's a bargain for any royal fan considering the occasion and organisation that goes into it.

Your assumption that it's just tea and a sandwich is almost certainly entirely wrong.

So lets actually look at whats happening, a=rather than a slanted view

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33456400

A giant street party for the Queen's 90th birthday will celebrate her support of more than 600 organisations and charities, organisers say.
The Patron's Lunch will be attended by 10,000 guests - many from charities supported by the Queen - in London's The Mall, on Sunday 12 June next year.
The Duke of Edinburgh, Prince William and Prince Harry will attend the party.

The Mall will be lined with picnic tables for the street party, during which guests will enjoy a hamper-style lunch, organisers say.
Of the 10,000 tickets, most will be allocated to guests from the Queen's charities and organisations, but some will be made available for public ballot.

Members of the public will also be able to share in the festivities at live sites situated in Green Park and St James's Park.
The street party will raise money for the new Patron's Fund, which will be used to support specific initiatives and projects run by the Queen's charities.

Ah so actually the tickets are allocated to the charities who can sell them to raise funds for their charity. Doesn't abtually sound so bad then does it, raising at least £1.5 million for various charities

Strangely enough she doesn't really get a mention on the richest women list
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_billionaires

The Queen actually only got £7.9m from the civil list up until 2013. about 50% of what was required, so she was drawing on reserves for many years on the rest, whilst the UK took all the profits generated from the estate of about 8 Billion, which was around £240million a year. In 2013 the civil list was stopped and she now gets around 15% of the income from the estate, around £36million, of which the majority is now being used for repairs to the buildings.

Doesn't look so bad now does it? So tell me - do you pay 85% tax on your income, yet still support this country as much as she does? Would you have done being taxed 96% of your income and having to spend your savings?

The Queen actually only got £7.9m from the civil list up until 2013. about 50% of what was required, so she was drawing on reserves for many years on the rest, whilst the UK took all the profits generated from the estate of about 8 Billion, which was around £240million a year. In 2013 the civil list was stopped and she now gets around 15% of the income from the estate, around £36million, of which the majority is now being used for repairs to the buildings.

Doesn't look so bad now does it? So tell me - do you pay 85% tax on your income, yet still support this country as much as she does? Would you have done being taxed 96% of your income and having to spend your savings?

I would'nt mind paying 85% tax for a "job" that I did'nt have to work that hard to get, nor did I manage to inherit vast sums of money,jewellery,land,properties etc etc ( a lot of which was stolen for her over the years), nor do my offspring get free and very large hand outs, nor do my cousins get a decent living for doing just about chuff all........ I love this bit mate, " The Queen actually only got £7.9m from the civil list " ONLY £7.9m!! I wonder will she and her entourage go on strike to protect her income & t/c's, I very much doubt it, the reserves she is (allegedly) drawing on belongs not to her, but to the country, so they are not really her savings are they? Really sorry my friend, but as you might have guessed, I have no time what so ever for the royals.

I would'nt mind paying 85% tax for a "job" that I did'nt have to work that hard to get, nor did I manage to inherit vast sums of money,jewellery,land,properties etc etc ( a lot of which was stolen for her over the years), nor do my offspring get free and very large hand outs, nor do my cousins get a decent living for doing just about chuff all........ I love this bit mate, " The Queen actually only got £7.9m from the civil list " ONLY £7.9m!! I wonder will she and her entourage go on strike to protect her income & t/c's, I very much doubt it, the reserves she is (allegedly) drawing on belongs not to her, but to the country, so they are not really her savings are they? Really sorry my friend, but as you might have guessed, I have no time what so ever for the royals.

Typical - you miss the point £7.9m back from an income of £240m. You think thats just hers to fritter as she wishes?
I suggest you actually investigate the royals funding before you embarrass yourself more

The queen undertook 384 engagements last year - would you still be working so hard and taxed so much at 88? I guess you really don't understand duty

Last edited:
For me personally, I am neither pro or anti Royalty'.

If the family want to have a 90th birthday bash, on the Mall, with 10,000 'subjects' out of a population of 60 million plus, some of whom will need to pay £150 for a fancy al fresco 'meal deal' - good on them. I hope the weather will hold for them and everyone attending has a super day.

Given the Queen's own mother's longetivity, no doubt plans are in place for her 100th and possibly 110th birthday do. Her state funeral plans have been in place since her father passed so all will go as it should.

I don't have an axe to grind on costs etc and anyone moaning about 'taxpayers' money, should realise, in the grand scheme of things, the Royal Family is a drop in an ever growing ocean of debt.

So, on the big day, I shall be in the South West of Ireland, with my camera gear, a bag of sandwiches and some nice coastline. Empty beaches and no TV.... Anyone here who gets to go on the day, have fun and, most of all, remember - her name is not 'Madge'.

Last edited:
Of the 10,000 only 1,000 tickets will be made available for the public ballot

I'd rather buy a lens if it was me!

I will be converting my cash into Guinness...

Subject to my stroke consultant allowing me to imbibe. Currently banned :-(

Last edited:
Of the 10,000 only 1,000 tickets will be made available for the public ballot
So the charities get to have 9000 tickets to sell to help raise funds. The other 1000 sold go into the Queens Patron fund.

Simple really, hold a celebration, raise money for charity at the same time.
The only real question is, how much goes to charity, how much to host the function, pay to close the mall etc. Be nice if an events company sponsored it so all the money goes to charity

I think you may have already done so. ;)

Oh I wish.... I was in Dublin a couole of weeks ago, just before the liunchtime rush, the bar staff were pouring the pints jhst before the liquid suustenance gang arrived... absolute torture.

I am being very strict as the whole thing was quite terrifying. Hence I have to use my 70D with the Canon Connect App as my right hand is still not working well enough to press the shutter. Getting there though.

I doubt whether Buck House management will be offering me a duty tog post at the Mall Massif Gathering.

Last edited:
So the charities get to have 9000 tickets to sell to help raise funds. The other 1000 sold go into the Queens Patron fund.

Simple really, hold a celebration, raise money for charity at the same time.
The only real question is, how much goes to charity, how much to host the function, pay to close the mall etc. Be nice if an events company sponsored it so all the money goes to charity

Just wondering have you looked into this story at all?

The charities will not have 9, 000 tickets to sell, they will be allowed to sell/pass on just 4 of the tickets they are allocated.

Also I believe it is the Queens grandsons events company that are arranging the event

I think the queen is amazing and think the duties she carries out are incredible given her age.
also lately with events like these i see a real softening of the monarchy to integrate with the common people.
i think they must have good people advising them at long last.

long live the Queen!

and calling her brenda just makes you look a bit stupid really.

The queen undertook 384 engagements last year - would you still be working so hard and taxed so much at 88? I guess you really don't understand duty

would she raise a sweat during said engagements? nope, she will sit at dinning table quaffing and scoffing on caviar and drinking Moet & Chandon, or will stand infront of a bunch of self-minded parasites holding her hand out to who ever wants to kiss it, or maybe fly (not ecconomy class by the way) to some far off destination to wave and collect flowers from dignitaries children. I personally undertook considerably more 'engagements' than her last year , however I don't get gifted 79pence to further my bussiness, let alone a few mill and like very many today and I most likely will have to work well beyond my desired retirement age.. Right royal parasites, the lot of them.

Is'nt charging £150 a throw for a slice of cake,a cuppa and maybe a glass of Pimm's rubbing salt into the wounds of hundreds of thousands of people living in modern Britain surviving on foodbanks and hand outs?...get a grip.

Last edited:
And how much do you personally bring the UK economy? Not in tax (although I would imagine the royals pay far more than you anyway) but in investments, tourists and their spend etc.

I think the queen is amazing and think the duties she carries out are incredible given her age.
also lately with events like these i see a real softening of the monarchy to integrate with the common people.
i think they must have good people advising them at long last.

long live the Queen!

and calling her brenda just makes you look a bit stupid really.

Hear, hear well said that man!

Reactions: BBR
That's the answer!

Privatise the Monarchy.

Open it up to healthy competition to ensure we get best value for money.

would she raise a sweat during said engagements? nope, she will sit at dinning table quaffing and scoffing on caviar and drinking Moet & Chandon, or will stand infront of a bunch of self-minded parasites holding her hand out to who ever wants to kiss it, or maybe fly (not ecconomy class by the way) to some far off destination to wave and collect flowers from dignitaries children. I personally undertook considerably more 'engagements' than her last year , however I don't get gifted 79pence to further my bussiness, let alone a few mill and like very many today and I most likely will have to work well beyond my desired retirement age.. Right royal parasites, the lot of them.
That made me want to shed a few tears. Shame it weren't tears of sadness. :p

Just wondering have you looked into this story at all?

The charities will not have 9, 000 tickets to sell, they will be allowed to sell/pass on just 4 of the tickets they are allocated.

Also I believe it is the Queens grandsons events company that are arranging the event

I do hope that was a typo and you meant to say 40%. More details have emerged since my first post.

Indeed, Peter Phillips has said the corporate events company is picking up the majority of the bill to enable the funds to go to charity.

Is'nt charging £150 a throw for a slice of cake,a cuppa and maybe a glass of Pimm's rubbing salt into the wounds of hundreds of thousands of people living in modern Britain surviving on foodbanks and hand outs?...get a grip.

You missed the income from the estate of £240. Million of which she now gets 15% back! not 7.9 million (not since 2013). That's over £200 million into the treasury coffers before any impact the tourism etc has for this country. The very fact we have a royal family is a huge draw for this countries tourism. Royal parasites? Please.

Do you really think it'll be a sandwich for that amount of money? Menus haven't been announced but hampers have.

And we live in a capitalist society. Is it right you live in a nice house when there's so many homeless? Same argument you made. Do you have a nice car, other material goods, a nice camera. Same argument, why should you have that when people can barely afford...etc etc.

Sorry that argument doesn't wash. Get a grip ;)

I would not use income as a measure of "richness" as you could have a huge income yet if you have huge outgoings you could be quite poor in real terms.

To me the only true measure of monetary wealth is net assets, and it appears the queen has a sum of about 0.5 billion which makes her quite poor!

Even richard branson is about 10x richer than the queen and gerald grosvenor is about 24x richer

Last edited:
And we live in a capitalist society. Is it right you live in a nice house when there's so many homeless? Same argument you made. Do you have a nice car, other material goods, a nice camera. Same argument, why should you have that when people can barely afford...etc etc.

Sorry that argument doesn't wash. Get a grip ;)

Unfortunately, even though I live in a nice house as you put it, I will not be holding a house party and charging £xxx per ticket to come along, nor will I be holding a driving get together or a camera shoot and charging for them. I am not the head of state, owning quite a considerable sum, I would not ever charge anyone I were to invite to my 90th ( if I get there!) birthday bash, nor would I arrange it so one of my offspring would gain from it. Furthermore, I do not know of a 'camera bank' or a 'car bank' neither of which are one of lifes essentials, I don't know about you but I think food happens to fall in the essentials bracket

Unfortunately, even though I live in a nice house as you put it, I will not be holding a house party and charging £xxx per ticket to come along, nor will I be holding a driving get together or a camera shoot and charging for them. I am not the head of state, owning quite a considerable sum, I would not ever charge anyone I were to invite to my 90th ( if I get there!) birthday bash, nor would I arrange it so one of my offspring would gain from it. Furthermore, I do not know of a 'camera bank' or a 'car bank' neither of which are one of lifes essentials, I don't know about you but I think food happens to fall in the essentials bracket
I'm starting to get the impression that this is a topic you feel very strongly about ;)

Reactions: mex
Never mind, someone is probably making plans for you. ;)

I'm starting to get the impression that this is a topic you feel very strongly about ;)

Yet with little knowledge of the subject apparently, and lacking the wit to put forth a reasoned argument. :LOL:

This is a tricky one for me because

1. I like the Royal Family. More importantly, I think they are actually good value for money.
2. £150 is a fair chunk of change - but it isn't a ridiculous sum for a once in a lifetime sort of thing (if I went then thanks to jolly old "British" Rail it would cost me more than half that to travel the 60 miles each way - the ticket cost isn't that relevant)
3. I'm deeply suspicious of anything done "for charity" since I don't like most of the big charities and many people's blind acceptance that anything done "for charity" must be a good thing bothers me.

It seems that somebody at the Indie has got all upset about this though

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-into-a-right-royal-pr-disaster-a6814941.html

They are claiming (probably inaccurately) that it will actually cost charities £1.5M rather than raise it for them. It's all a bit of a muddle.

Honestly, it would cost about 2p per person to cover this bash. I'm sure even our financially embarrassed government has more than that down the back of the sofa.

Reactions: BBR
This is a tricky one for me because

1. I like the Royal Family. More importantly, I think they are actually good value for money.
2. £150 is a fair chunk of change - but it isn't a ridiculous sum for a once in a lifetime sort of thing (if I went then thanks to jolly old "British" Rail it would cost me more than half that to travel the 60 miles each way - the ticket cost isn't that relevant)
3. I'm deeply suspicious of anything done "for charity" since I don't like most of the big charities and many people's blind acceptance that anything done "for charity" must be a good thing bothers me.

It seems that somebody at the Indie has got all upset about this though

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-into-a-right-royal-pr-disaster-a6814941.html

They are claiming (probably inaccurately) that it will actually cost charities £1.5M rather than raise it for them. It's all a bit of a muddle.

Honestly, it would cost about 2p per person to cover this bash. I'm sure even our financially embarrassed government has more than that down the back of the sofa.

Article could have been written better but I agree with it

The charities will not be getting anything from it, each charity will be offered 10 tickets each which they must pay for, they are allowed to pass on/sell just 4 of those tickets.

I only hope that the charities concerned do not use money raised in donations to pay for these tickets

Back