10 stop filter for £2 - really :D

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
just wondering if this ebay seller is Ajophotog and this is an elaborate scam !

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Hey, just trying to get the economy back on its feet :D I have no interest in selling welding lenses. Honest.

I reckon prices are going to rise if sales continue at this rate :LOL:

Anyone know how a proper 10 stop comes straight out of the camera? bet it isn't green :LOL:

Thanks AJO! I've been looking at the B+W 10 stop filters and couldn't really justify the price, but for a couple of quid it's definately worth a punt! :D

Of course, the beauty of digital is that WB can be anything you want it to be. Once you've set up a custom WB through the glass, you should have only minimal corrections to make. And, plenty of the best 10-stoppers I've seen are black and white..

Have you ever looked through a lens with a 10 stop filter on ;) - not a lot to see :D. Test shots would be quite an investment in time as well, unless you're shooting wide open, into a fairly bright light source, as the exposures tend to be very long (derrr :bonk:).

On top of that, I don't think that the colour temperature range will do much to compensate for a green colour cast that strong, although I've never tried it :shrug:. Thank God for PP :D!

Still, for the price, it's a brilliant idea and will certainly make for much more creative photography all round :clap:.

Anyone know how a proper 10 stop comes straight out of the camera? bet it isn't green :LOL:

Not green no, maybe slightly pink, but only just, and it actually hepls most shots (sunsets...)

Reckon they will be good for sun shots too :D

Not very well i'm afraid, my 10 stop doesn't "stop" the sun well enough, and I'd be worried about the UV and such.

I was lucky, managed to get my B&W 77mm 10 stop just before christmas for the princely sum of £50.:p

Have you ever looked through a lens with a 10 stop filter on ;) - not a lot to see :D. Test shots would be quite an investment in time as well, unless you're shooting wide open, into a fairly bright light source, as the exposures tend to be very long (derrr :bonk:).

On top of that, I don't think that the colour temperature range will do much to compensate for a green colour cast that strong, although I've never tried it :shrug:. Thank God for PP :D!

Still, for the price, it's a brilliant idea and will certainly make for much more creative photography all round :clap:.

but surely if you get a grey card and shoot through the filter at the card on a 30 second exposure, then set that shot as your custom wb, you'll be sorted.. No?

I'm getting me one of these tomorrow if there's any left after you lot!!

but surely if you get a grey card and shoot through the filter at the card on a 30 second exposure, then set that shot as your custom wb, you'll be sorted.. No?

I'm getting me one of these tomorrow if there's any left after you lot!!

Quite possibly! Try it and let us know how you get on ;).

More tests, again it is pretty dull here at the moment. :D
30sec, f4.5, iso 100, hdr noise removed. I know it is ghastly but I am still experimenting. ;)
3748999956_e5cd1f3759_o.jpg

194sec, f16, iso 100, wb correction straight from camera noise reduction.
3749000246_fa196dcea8_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that because it's green, they come in various colours. Green, Orange, Clear, Bronze.
Don't know, I can only go by the ones I have and to look at they look black in normal light. These aren't meant for photography so are not graded for neutral colour casting I guess.

lol love the idea.. i've been doing something similar before i read this thread... i had some car window tint film to test.. results weren't as good the welding glass though.

I've also been using the free Lee filters!

Those welding glasses can come in different colour shades of blue and also different strengths 9.10,11.and 12 but it is unlikely they equate to however many stops.

I must have a rummage as I am sure I have a few left over from my welding days but they will probably be shade 11 as that was the most popular for welding with.

Last edited:
Never thought of this and i have packs of them in the store room at work :) so time to raid the cookie jar so to speak :p.

I reckon prices are going to rise if sales continue at this rate :LOL:

You guys certainly pick your time to buy all of my lenses. 2hours prior to the mad rush i found out i had picked up a virus and my ebay may have been compromised, talk about panic time.

I used to be an keen photographer and dabled in my dads darkroom we had in the loft.

I'll take my hats of to you guys using impovisation.

Regarding the prices going up it's far from the truth, i have 2500 of these damn things to get rid of so if you make me an offer of £1 each it will be accepted, cant do much on the postage though as that covers ebay fees as well.

My shop on ebay is darkmutton and my website is darkmutton.com, i can be emailed at dutt100@aol.com

i have a limited number of 9's but loads of 10's and 11's

Happy Shooting

Mark D

You guys certainly pick your time to buy all of my lenses. 2hours prior to the mad rush i found out i had picked up a virus and my ebay may have been compromised, talk about panic time.

I used to be an keen photographer and dabled in my dads darkroom we had in the loft.

Regarding the prices going up it's far from the truth, i have 2500 of these damn things to get rid of so if you make me an offer of £1 each it will be accepted, cant do much on the postage though as that covers ebay fees as well.

My shop on ebay is darkmutton and my website is darkmutton.com, i can be emailed at dutt100@aol.com

Happy Shooting

Mark D

:clap: What a nice guy!

If I hadn't just layed out 67 big ones on a B+W screw in 10 stop, I'd be in there like a shot :D.

Happy Shooting

Mark D

Hey Mark there was a suggestion I was selling these :LOL: I bet you were surprised to see your sales were going through the roof :LOL: Now about that commission ;)

Happy Shooting

Mark D

brilliant mate , nice of you to join up !

make sure to check back in a few days to see our results , be a laugh if nothing else !

Great idea Alby, as soon as payday comes around I'll be in the queue. Save a 10 stop for me please Mark! :D

Got one for a quid as he accepted my best offer saved a whole 50p :)

Look forward to a play.

Got the auto acceptence set up correctly now so £1 offers will automatically be accepted.

As i said in my 1st post i've been having pc problems so bear with me a little, especially as i now have so many to post.

With glass being glass they do sometimes get broken in the post, if they do let me know and i'll sort it out.

I wondered what the hell was going on, i only sell 1 or 2 a week and i knew there was no eclipse coming up so really thought it was ebay account that had been hacked but it threw me when the addresses were all over the place and people seemed to be genuinly asking for different shades lol.

I dont do much photography now, i've moved onto more video as i shoot incar footage from my race car and play around with that when i get the time. There is some of the footage under darkermutton on youtube or on my website

Great idea Alby! and worth a go for a couple of quid! Ordered a 9 and a 10 :D:

Last edited:
Not being one to miss a bandwagon....Order sent.

Anyone got any ideas where to get cheap yellow rubber bands?

I did suggest a thread back along or at least title you post welding: so it is searchable. ;)
Looking forward to see what you can produce with a £2 piece of glass strapped to the front of a lens :D

Back