10 stop filter for £2 - really :D

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
You guys certainly pick your time to buy all of my lenses. 2hours prior to the mad rush i found out i had picked up a virus and my ebay may have been compromised, talk about panic time.

I used to be an keen photographer and dabled in my dads darkroom we had in the loft.

I'll take my hats of to you guys using impovisation.

Regarding the prices going up it's far from the truth, i have 2500 of these damn things to get rid of so if you make me an offer of £1 each it will be accepted, cant do much on the postage though as that covers ebay fees as well.

My shop on ebay is darkmutton and my website is darkmutton.com, i can be emailed at dutt100@aol.com

i have a limited number of 9's but loads of 10's and 11's

Happy Shooting

Mark D

Awh.. I tried for £1 but my offer was declined, I demand a 10p refund!! Joking. Clearly! Can't wait for mine to arrive, I never knew I'd be so excited about a bit of welding kit!!

Can someone provide a URL to the ebay shop for darkmutton please - when I search on eBay I get no result found...!

Thanks all.

Thanks - I saw that one, but then read further in this thread about Darkmutton and didn't associate the two! Sorry, and thanks.

Thats a lot of messing about if you ask me. Surely it would have been easier to give your camera to the welder in the garage and ask him to press the shutter :LOL:

what's the difference between the shades? Or am I being really stooooopid? :bonk: because I got myself a 10 and now I wonder if I should've got something else?! :shrug:

nice idea and seems to work ok, but wouldn't be seen dead using it

get a proper one, they're hardly expensive

Neat idea - I might try this after my Hols. I have a couple of welding masks in the garage.

nice idea and seems to work ok, but wouldn't be seen dead using it

get a proper one, they're hardly expensive

Can't get a 82mm filter for my 24-70 and the 77mm isn't cheap for a bit of dark glass that you screw on, £80 from warehouse express. The size of the welding glass is 4 1/4 x 3 1/4 so the same as a cokin P filter plus it will fit my 24-70. It is all about fishing next the the bloke that has all the gear and you have a bamboo stick with line and hook, you catch the big fish and he catches nowt. :D Back in the day myself and a few friends used to make are own filters using can spray paints and they worked pretty well as I remembered. Plus it is all about the fun trying not just the results ;)

Now fitted mine in a cheap ebay cokin p filter holder, just need to light leak fix it with some black foam and tape and were done ;) It is a tight fit so no chance of it falling out :D
3751189655_61dd7cbd88_o.jpg

I have a 10 and an 11 filter the 10 isn't as dark, below is a shot with the 10. 10sec, f9, iso 100, +2 ec. Straight from camera no PP apart from resized and WB corrected.
3752002354_cfafb9e345_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you let us all know how you got on fixing it for light leaks, Just ordered one today from Mutton.

Cheap way to try this out

Thanks for the idea

For the moment I've just placed a monopod hand strap round it and it works a treat, I may use a piece of inner tube and stretch that over it rather than buy some foam.
Here is a shot of the temp light seal :LOL:
3752687988_45df570ff2_o.jpg

FP I'm with you on the cost of things and it is more fun making things work cheaply if you can. Here is another sun shot (full unclouded sky) with the 10 560mm cropped to 50% 1/1000 f16 iso100.
3751956201_5872212236_o.jpg

You will have fun with this I'm sure ;)

brilliant! just got one meself...Ajophotog your`re a genius

Nice one Alby, just need a 747 passing through that sun(y)
Dean:)

Nice idea for a quick fix but if I was to use one properly I'd opt for the real thing. I got my 77mm 10 stop for £55, and because it will screw on I can use my lens hood still.

Curious to know how much sharpness you lose with the DIY version?

Cokin produce lens hoods and I don't have to take the hood off to remove it ;) As for sharpness, not much at all going by what I've taken from my bedroom window. I haven't had chance to get out and use it yet as I have the dreaded pig flu since last Monday so can't get out until next weekend 10 days locked up :( It will be interesting to see how the others get on with it though ;)

right! i am getting me one of these and cheapo cokin filter holder, cant beleive its only now someone has thought of this.
set up a custom WB and i am laughing. and i know exactly where my first shot is gonig ot be.

Can some one clarify a strength for about a minute exposure during the day?

right! i am getting me one of these and cheapo cokin filter holder, cant beleive its only now someone has thought of this.
set up a custom WB and i am laughing. and i know exactly where my first shot is gonig ot be.

Can some one clarify a strength for about a minute exposure during the day?

My 1st Shot in this thread was a30sec exposure at f5.6 iso 100 on a dull day with the 11 glass so f16 will give you at least a 60sec on a bright day I reckon, I have shot some at over 400secs and they haven't blown out :D

So, once you've all got DIY 10 stops, you'll be able to go and photograph arc welders at work (y). The only problem is, they won't be doing any welding because you've bought up all of their masks :bang:.

:D Don't mind me, I'm having a rather slow night shift.

well guys you can all have fun soon, got the last of the current orders into todays post so they should be arriving soon. Hopefully everyone will get the shades they wanted but with so many going out if there are any mix-ups please drop me line.

I wonder what, if anything is special about the clear lenses. With them being for welding i wonder if they have any UV properties???

It might be worth trying the Flourescent WB setting and tweaking it (if your camera allows), as this is like the old magenta filter for balancing the sickly green colour given off by flourescent light fittings.

The easiest way to fix I found is using dpp and creating a preset WB in there and select all your shots and apply... 30 shots done in seconds with minimal effort ;)

Anyone got theirs yet and tried it out apart from me of course :LOL:?

well guys you can all have fun soon, got the last of the current orders into todays post so they should be arriving soon. Hopefully everyone will get the shades they wanted but with so many going out if there are any mix-ups please drop me line.

I wonder what, if anything is special about the clear lenses. With them being for welding i wonder if they have any UV properties???

Sorry to disappoint you:), the clear glasses do not have any uv properties, they are merely to protect the more expensive dark welding glass from weld spatter.

"I knows all about welding you see" ;)

Just a note for anyone seeking the dark glasses from another source.

These glasses appear to be just one single piece of glass, some glasses can be laminated, shaded vinyl sandwiched between two pieces of plain glass, these were never popular with welders as they were not as clear as a single glass so will not be as good on the end of a lens.

Just ordered, will get some seascapes done when it arrives :)

FP I'm with you on the cost of things and it is more fun making things work cheaply if you can. Here is another sun shot (full unclouded sky) with the 10 560mm cropped to 50% 1/1000 f16 iso100.
3751956201_5872212236_o.jpg

You will have fun with this I'm sure ;)

If you go OTT with this in lightroom you should get to see the boiling mass on the surface of the sun,looks fantastic when you get it right.

Just cant seem to find the image i did last year to show you.....But have a go, it'll be interesting to see what you end up with...

Del.

Back