10 stop filter for £2 - really :D

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
all the previous ebay listings have now ended, and he doesn't seem yet to be offering any more :(

late for the party as usual - lol

Gary

he has but there now seems to be somebody else selling exactly the same ones (they have 1989 writtern on them) :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Glass-Filter-Welding-Lens-Shade-10-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ170374338101QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item27ab1a1635&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Glass-Filter-Welding-Lens-Shade-11-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ170374338112QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item27ab1a1640&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

NOTE: I am not connected with the above ebay seller

i have just acquired for free about 7 or 8 of these , so when i get home there may be an opportunity for a small donation to TP the chance for some of you to acquire one , i believe these may be larger than what most have been getting off ebay and have the edges polished so you cant cut yourself unless you smash one of course :LOL:

ok , i have checked and i have 2 9's , 2 10's and 1 11 for as i said a small donation to TP , first come first served , if anyone wants one then PM me (y)

p.s. these have the polished edges that are smooth :)

1 no 9 gone to andy_fozzy

so that leaves 1 no 9 , 2 no 10's and 1 no 11 up for grabs :)

its going to cost me to post so i think a donation to TP is fair enough :)

edit --- 1 no 10 and 1 no 11 still up for grabs ;)

edit --- all gone now :)

Last edited:
Ordered mine from darkmutton earlier ...... hope it comes through?????? Just need to get a 72mm adaptor ring from ebay.

Paul

Having just upgraded to a DSLR and blown all funds I was interested in a thread which gives you something for practically nothing!
Even better when I remembered I have an unused mig welder and mask. I'm off to the shed now to see what i've got.

My one arrived but has a fantastic manufacturing defect... There is a slightly darker half that may well work as a grad as well. :cool:

These were on ebay for £1.30 or best offer, so just for the cheek of it I offered £1 and it was accepted. What a brilliant "fun to have" item.

Ok it was razor sharp, but a few rubs on a bit of old wet n dry and it's perfect.

Now I just have to play with it. (y)

all the ones i had have gone now , raised a few quid for TP ini the process , cant be bad :clap:

:)

all the ones i had have gone now , raised a few quid for TP ini the process , cant be bad :clap:

Mine arrived this morning, thoroughly embalmed in bubble wrap and completely safe and sound. (y)

Just done a quick calibration check and it's coming out somewhere between a 12 and 13 stops... though I'll probably repeat the process next time theres a nice clear blue sky to give a more consistant light to work by (so maybe next year then... :LOL:)

Last edited:
Just thought I would say, that I've come up with a really simple way to mount these if you have a cokin type thread for your lens.

I'm just waiting on a friend returning something to me, then I'll tell you a bit more and maybe even do a little tut for you all, with pictures and everything :eek: :D

Until then, count this post as nothing but a tease :D

Damn you Jo, you at least pm just me the details :LOL:

all i did was use some superglue to mount the filter glass onto an old uv filter , not the most aesthetically pleasing solution but it works :wacky: :LOL:

Mine arrived this morning, thoroughly embalmed in bubble wrap and completely safe and sound. (y)

Just done a quick calibration check and it's coming out somewhere between a 12 and 13 stops... though I'll probably repeat the process next time theres a nice clear blue sky to give a more consistant light to work by (so maybe next year then... :LOL:)

nice one :)

I took some photos today, they obviously have a massive green tint to them.

Now in photoshop what levels for Temp and Tint do I need to set to make the pictures look normal?

I best offered him a £1 and he took it ;) I wonder how long before he sells out :LOL:

just offered 0.99p lol

edit damn :(

We're sorry, but darkmutton has declined your Best Offer for £0.99 (1 x £0.99

better offer a quid then :p

edit again - must be automated....

Congratulations, your Best Offer price of £1.00 (1 x £1.00) was accepted.

you better hurry up though, he's only got 2451 left

Last edited:
Doug, have you shot in Raw? Just change the WB to suit if you have. It will be a little more complicated if you have only shot jpg.

Ajophotog - Yes I have shot in RAW, I wondered if there was a standard setting to use that would eliminate the green tint. I will have a play though :)

You can set your custom WB in camera to do it automatically, that is what I have done. I think someone has posted a method for Nikons in this thread recently. I am Canon so cant advise sorry. ;)

Ahhhhh ok I will investigate :)

Posted my first attempt in the main thread over in general photo sharing.

This weekends project is to get atleast one good shot with the welding glass!

Just looked at your efforts Doug and I liked ;) Looking forward to seeing more.

Well, if the bandwagon is still going past your front window nearly 2 months after it started I figure it's just rude not to climb on and see where it's going.

So having waited well over a month for the 7dayshop to deliver the ND filters I ordered ages ago I've trawled the the various welding threads I thought I'd put my money down and try these out.

There seems to have been some interesting results posted, the only problem is that these seemingly dirt cheap welding glass filters may end up costing me the price of a decent tripod:bonk:

Hi folks

Apologies if this has already been covered - had a read through the thread but got a bit lost. Seems people are using a particular seller now.

Who are we all buying from ?

What number welding glass is good ?

Which holder ?

There are a number of ways to fit the lens on, some stick the lens straight onto the ring and others use a Cokin P holder. If you use a holder you need to make sure no light leaks in from behind the lens. The lenses come in 9, 10, and 11 and 9 is around 9 stops, 10 is 12 stops and 11 about 14 stops, these figures are just approximations. A lot of people have been getting their glass of of Darkmutton on ebay and he will accept a £1 each for them if you make him an offer. Remember to post up your efforts on the other thread once you have done some shooting ;) Weldling Glass Shots

There are a number of ways to fit the lens on, some stick the lens straight onto the ring and others use a Cokin P holder. If you use a holder you need to make sure no light leaks in from behind the lens.

What do you mean 'from behind the lens'? Through the viewfinder, or where the glass is in the filter. If the latter, how would I avoid this?

Thanks.

Back