10 stop filter for £2 - really :D

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
11 stopper from machine mart - £3.50. Gotta work it all out now....

Got mine the other day, thanks to Darkmutton and this thread. Works like a dream, it's in my cokin P holder with black foam stuffed and taped into the sides to keep out the light. This was a 20sec exposure at f/6.7, Taken in full sunlight today at about 17:30.

3823135201_6630ce3de2.jpg

Apparently DarkMutton is away untill the 17th.
Ordered mine 2 days ago still not here, probably hasn't sent it yet.

Not complaining just eager to try it out :)

i tried getting mines in the cokin p holder but took ages and cut my fingers to shreds...

how else do people do theirs?

Daryyn has your order arrived yet. They have all been dispached so if you havnt got it yet it may be lost in the post. About 5% of my mail goes missing and its really annoying.

Hey, I still haven't received a replacement for my broken one. I'll email you my details again.

Last edited:
Looks like I was a bit too quick there :bonk:

Great shot. How do you rate the quality of the glass or is it not possible to say from just a visual inspection...

Anyone got a link to the sellers ebay or home page? I think I've skipped past it in this thread.

Just search for darkmutton on e-bay or on this thread there is a link in here somewhere. Post #68 will get you there.

Last edited by a moderator:
i ordered mine last sunday, and am still waiting :(

I heard someone on here say he was on holiday, not knowing him I wouldn't know for sure. He has been pretty reliable from what I've seen here though.

I ordered on the 11th and it just arrived so six days delivery time, bear in mind that includes a weekend.

Second class postage, packaged in a one-fold makeshift cardboard envelope secured by a healthy amount of parcel tape - Glass is fine, no scratches or marks just a little bit of dust that can easily be removed.

Thanks again DarkMutton. Will post any results I have with it soon (in the other thread ofc).

Cheers, Steven.

Here's a solution to the light leak issue if using these filters in a Cokin P holder. It's a piece of old wetsuit sleeve (or leg) double folded over the filter holder. Looks pretty neat! Well, neather than an old sock anyway! :D Wonder if Darkmutton's going to start selling these too? :LOL:

DSC000171.JPG

DSC000152.JPG

Last edited:
Pleased as I made Flickr Explore the other day with this shot through the welding glass...

3827530618_35f0e4bd07.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39712788@N00/3827530618/

Careful of the long exposures and camera/tripod shake, I got a little here and I and going to revisit this shot if I want to print big.

Here is the cokin holder and "Darkmutton 10" with added foam and electrical tape. Not planning to put in any other filters any time soon!

dsc0072y.jpg

cheers
Mark

Last edited:
still havent recieved mine from 9th. sent email yesterday, and havent heard back. missed the airshow that i was hoping to use it for :(

yes - they come out with a green caste...

I took a shot of a white sheet of card with the filter on, then use this as a key-image for a custom white balance. If you look in the link above, you'll see that it pulls most of the green out and leaves it fairly close to original (or certainly close enough that you can get it right in PS :))

Just got mine through today - bought it on the 10th or something like that. Certainly going to be a bit of fun, need to sort out a light blocker though as the test shots had massive reflections of the front of the lens in them :D . It is also a complete and utter git to get into and (even worse) out of a cokin p holder for wide angle lenses.

am confused, if these are normally over £100, why is this guy flogging em for £1? does the green tint got something to do with that?

am confused, if these are normally over £100, why is this guy flogging em for £1? does the green tint got something to do with that?

No you are confused, these are cheap welding glass lenses used for arc, mig and tig welding to protect your eyes, I just thought it couldn't be that different to a B&W 10 stop filter which depending on the filter size you buy can cost up to £130 from some stores.

With that many people getting these filters (! if we can call them that!) it might be worth setting up a FlickR group so we can post our pics.

Anyone care to set one up ?

EDIT: I thought I would have a go at creating a group on FlickR ! and created one to share these pics:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/weldingmaskglassfilter/

Feel free to add your pics above!

EDIT: - if anyone wants admin / mod rights then let me know.

Last edited:
wow, just found this thread. has anyone done a calibration of sorts to find out roughly the strength of these filters? and what's the optical quality like?

Just a quick shot, my bodge job effort on action, although it does end up working very well.

3851671087_5eb72a0103.jpg

lol thanks for the idea, got myself a shade 10, will post results soon!

Back