10 stop filter for £2 - really :D

• Thread starter Deleted member 3428
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3428

Got myself a shade 10 welding mask glass filter for a £1 off fleabay and £1 p&p stuck in on the front of my 12-24 on the 350d with a couple of rubber bands and hey presto, works a treat. 30" exposure at f5.6 iso100. Yes I know the picture is crap as it is just a test until I can get out and take some decent shots. Welding glass size is 4.1/4 x3.1/4 same as the p cokins. You need to shoot raw as the wb needs changing (comes out slightly green :D) but it really does look like a £130 saving ;) I will test further when I get a chance to get out ;)

Image exposed for the sky 30" iso 100 f5.6:
3746222457_41e62cb992_o.jpg

The setup :D
3747037230_0482633941.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
good to know :)

I am a little worried that your top elastic band ( i mean Attachment device :D ) is about to snap :LOL:

Yep, me too. I just got myself an ND8 and an ND4, so I'll be taking shots like this myself over the coming days. Might take a trip to Clevedon tomorrow evening after work depending on the weather...;)

Brilliant - I just went and got one myself - for 2-3 quid it is a steal...

Nice work :)

Common sense really, I can't believe nobody thought of it sooner. To quote the WHE listing for the B+W 10 stop...

"Its principal field of application is the observation and documentation of industrial processes with extreme brightness, such as steel furnaces, incinerators and glowing filaments."

Will look forward to seeing more results. (y)

Common sense really, I can't believe nobody thought of it sooner. To quote the WHE listing for the B+W 10 stop...

"Its principal field of application is the observation and documentation of industrial processes with extreme brightness, such as steel furnaces, incinerators and glowing filaments."

Typical case of 'if we say that it's relevant to photography we can bump the price by 1000%!'

I feel a special thread coming soon for 10 stop welding mask glass shots :D

love it (y) needs trying out I reckon, off to ebay it is, lets be honest, its worth butchering a cokin p holder to get it in permanently for the saving on a 77mm 10 stop

Last edited:
Like your thinking!!! Would never have thought it would have worked on a 30 second shot though. Would have thought it would need longer but as the picture shows................. :)

Aha love this!
Red rubber bands eh? You must have a litterbug postie too :D

RM lacky bands are now bio-degradable, so they only last a week or two then fall apart. Backstuds!!
I used to use loads of them but now my fingers are sore!!
Watch your new expensive filter mate!

Damn starting to think I should have bought all the lenses up and made a few quid :D Not that I'm really like that as anyone who knows me will verify ;) Can't wait to see what you guys come up with. It would be good to keep shots in a single thread of title them with welding lens: so we don't miss any ;)

he's gonna seriously wonder who all these "welders" are !

we need a "results thread" for this

Guys the edges are sharp so careful how you handle them ;)

So Alby, and comments on how it degrades sharpness?

Doesn't seem to at all, just makes the image green so you need to shoot raw to redo the wb ;) This one is straight out of the camera, resized and converted to jpg from raw.

3747319156_c4bb4d41c9_o.jpg

Of course, the beauty of digital is that WB can be anything you want it to be. Once you've set up a custom WB through the glass, you should have only minimal corrections to make. And, plenty of the best 10-stoppers I've seen are black and white..

You will also need to give the welding lens a good clean too as it will be a little greasy ;)

Well I think for a £2 how much fun can you have :D

Back