10 Stop - Inspiration Required......

dinners

In Memoriam
Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Although I've been doing other stuff - I've lost my mojo a bit when it comes to landscape photography which is a shame as it was the reason I got into photography in the first place.

Perhaps it's an age thing but I feel I've reached that stage where I'm repeating myself location wise and need to take fresh look at things.

Anyway - I've a B&W 10 stop on the way and despite playing with one a few years ago It will at least get me out there again trying something new and slightly different.

So - with that in mind I thought I'd ask for some 10 stop inspiration.......

Images, tips, ideas, locations, timings etc etc all welcome and much appreciated.......

Last edited:
Have you thought of buying a film camera,you can find them cheap enought,i am not saying go back full to film,but it might help get your mojo back :)

Have you thought of buying a film camera,you can find them cheap enought,i am not saying go back full to film,but it might help get your mojo back :)

my first thought too

did a roll of B&W 'street' shots in Glasgow and still enjoy looking at them

my first thought too

did a roll of B&W 'street' shots in Glasgow and still enjoy looking at them

Thanks guys.

I do have a film camera which I use from time.

What I was really after was some long exposure tips and examples as it's something I'll be having a stab at with a view to getting something different to what I've done before.

Last edited:
Maybe a bit cliche, but I'd say "water".

Beachscapes, rivers or watefalls, with foreground interest. Especially nice on a day that isn't too sunny.

Thanks guys.

I do have a film camera which I use from time.

What I was really after was some long exposure tips and examples as it's something I'll be having a stab at with a view to getting something different to what I've done before.

Falls of Dochart as we just did a meet there as you know from posting in the post and you can see what can be done there with the filter and exposures from some of the shots on the day now in there. I haven't sorted through my cards yet but from previous trip there with my 10 stop you can use from 5 seconds up to 30 seconds easily enough on the camera for the shots you want to try. To save having to remove the filter and focus the shot each time i was using manual focus for this visit, zoom to infinity and varying the exposure length on the shots to vary how misty the water effect became.

Also have done long exposure shots up at the Falls of Bruar just past Pitlochry and you can get some good shots there as well with varying the timing of the exposures. Again from my trip there i was using anything from 5-30 second exposures and just experimenting with timing to see what results i got.

Only other thing to remember is to remove the eyepiece surround and slip in the cover to stop light entering the camera through there, as this can affect the shot as well.

My next use of the filter i think will be down to the sea to go for the long exposure shot around the rocks as the tide comes in or around an object down there.

If you want to see some of my previous shots they are in the following posts

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=161841

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=162592

Paul

Cheers Guys

5-30 secs sounds good as I can't find my cable release to go beyond 30 secs on bulb mode.

As for the eyepiece - if I'm using my 1D mark 2 the eyepiece has a switch which closes a shutter inside - thatnks for the reminder as I'd have forggotten that.

First step will be to try and get my exposure times sorted out and printed. I've seen a few tables for calculating timings but people seem to report variances from one filter to the next.

Last edited:
5-30 secs sounds good as I can't find my cable release to go beyond 30 secs on bulb mode.

A note for those who have Canon bodies supporting the remote IR release (sorry Dinners, I don't think either of yours will).
Get the sensibly priced LP-6.
On bulb mode it works by a first click to open the shutter and a second click to close. It's brilliant! I've not used my cable release since I got the RC-6.

The 'other' TP meet took place in South Wales at the same time. I think about half of us were using 10 Stoppers; seems to be in fashion at the moment.
Anyway - there are some long exposure images already in the piccies thread and I'm sure more will be added soon.

Thanks Duncan

I can't even remember which wireless release I had for my 40D and 1D Mark 2.

I think it might have been a Phottix one. Similar method though - click to fire and click to close - did the autofocus too.

Last edited:
Anything like decent landscape photographs have been a major struggle over this side of the country - flat, dull lighting and constant breeze for most of the summer. I've tagged the thread as I bought a 10 stop myself about 6 months ago and have used it once, a bit of inspiration wouldn't go amiss for me either;)

Simon

Anything like decent landscape photographs have been a major struggle over this side of the country - flat, dull lighting and constant breeze for most of the summer. I've tagged the thread as I bought a 10 stop myself about 6 months ago and have used it once, a bit of inspiration wouldn't go amiss for me either;)

Simon

Light here is pretty good plus I'm up the NW side of Scotland pretty much monthly.

f c u k film

get to the seaside, find some groynes or a pier.....

Ideal of course are bodies of water, but in the absence of those, long exposures of busy roads are the obvious ones, although be sure that there are no trees on the road, as the branches always come-out with (what I find to be) an awful "wave-y" sort of pattern...

Back