10 stop shots, show us what ya got!

Just wanted to say I'm loving this thread, keep them coming (y)

I am liking this thread, but I am finding it also quite annoying and infuriating.

Rule No 1# of a seascape is, the horizon is horizontal! OK in the grand scheme of things it is marginally convex (but not so the human eye would really notice). Some of these horizons I could waterski down....

It's not a pop at anyone in particular.... just damn annoying that people can take the time and effort to go somewhere at whatever oclock, set up the tripod etc, take the pics, come back and process, and miss the bloody obvious.

Time I had a new title I think as my legs are now no longer under the NHS.

and breathe....

Lynton, I do try to get my horizons right but I must have one leg longer than the other :LOL: I usually have to straighten them in PS or not notice at all (might have a wonky head too)

Lynton, I do try to get my horizons right but I must have one leg longer than the other :LOL: I usually have to straighten them in PS or not notice at all (might have a wonky head too)

:)

so do I, in camera, but if handheld, am invariably about 0.3 to 0.5 deg off to the left...

looks perfect in the frame....

obviously i have dodgy eyes..

:shake:

jerry12953 said:
Is there a problem with the LCW one? Mine is excellent - not that I've used it much......

This, for example.......

http://

No not at all, just fancied a slot in 10 stopper. It's a bit of hassle to keep screwing the filter on and off when recomposing, but apart from that it's a great priced, well performing filter.

Return-to-St-Mary_s-B_W-for-web.jpg

B&W ND10 ~ 24mm ~ 83 seconds ~ F16 ~ ISO50

Cracking stuff on here that i haven't seen before, i forgot to post another, it's Hunstanton in Norfolk with 'real time' clouds but with a long exposure on the water (merged) favourited strangely on flickr by 10 people.

Some stunning pictures in this thread. I rarely take landscapes but here's one from March 2010………

4493726003_720bea86a7_z.jpg

Cracking stuff on here that i haven't seen before, i forgot to post another, it's Hunstanton in Norfolk with 'real time' clouds but with a long exposure on the water (merged) favourited strangely on flickr by 10 people.

Very nice shot Graham, something I've been meaning to try for a while. Do you know what sort of height tide is needed to get that effect?

how do u know how long the shutter was open do u time it? *** if u open the shutter on bulb u have to close it?

Ahhhh didnt know that il have a go and see what i can get, shame really i only have an 8 stopper

One from me taken on Friday....

Plemont Bay, Jersey

original.jpg

And just for a change taken with a Hitech Pro Stop 10 stop filter.

Stupid question but you have a timer on the canon - anyone know if there is one on the d300?

Oh and do you use the viewer block plastic to stop light getting in through the viewfinder?

Very nice pictures btw!

Very good point! Yes, the Canon's have a small - but very fiddly - bit of rubber which covers the eyepiece once you've removed the viewing hood. (it just slides off). I'm actually looking for a spare viewing hood to make into a blanking piece if anyone knows where to get one...?

Very good point! Yes, the Canon's have a small - but very fiddly - bit of rubber which covers the eyepiece once you've removed the viewing hood. (it just slides off). I'm actually looking for a spare viewing hood to make into a blanking piece if anyone knows where to get one...?

Is this what you are after Dougie?
Viewfinder eyecup

I would love to give this a try, is there a cheap (but decent) 77mm 10 stop filter anyone can recommend?

Depends what you mean by 'cheap' Chris.....? In my very limited experience, the answer is no - but hopefully someone will correct me on that! I tried a Hitech 10-stop (about £50 as I recall?) but didn't like the cast it left. However, Hitech now do a pro version of this at about £75 I think, and it's supposed to be a lot better than the original. I ended up with the glass Lee Big Stopper at about £100 inc p&p because most people that were into this game swore by the results. These are all flat filters I'm talking about remember, so you need a slot in holder (about £45) and screw adaptor as well - for a 77mm lens you'd need a wide angle version (about £30). Are we past the 'cheap mark yet...? The 77mm screw in 10 stoppers are very good I believe (haven't tried them myself) by B&W and Heliopan. Only problem with the screw in type is that you have to keep removing them between shots if you change focus or position as you can't focus through the filter with it being so dark. That's the beauty with the Lee filter holder - you simply unclip it from the adaptor to make adjustments between shots. Alternatively, if you want a real cheap try at this - you could go for green welding glass at about £3.50 a shot! It leaves a pretty strong green cast but I've seen some pretty good shots after a decent photoshop session! ;)

Depends what you mean by 'cheap' Chris.....? In my very limited experience, the answer is no - but hopefully someone will correct me on that! I tried a Hitech 10-stop (about £50 as I recall?) but didn't like the cast it left. However, Hitech now do a pro version of this at about £75 I think, and it's supposed to be a lot better than the original. I ended up with the glass Lee Big Stopper at about £100 inc p&p because most people that were into this game swore by the results. These are all flat filters I'm talking about remember, so you need a slot in holder (about £45) and screw adaptor as well - for a 77mm lens you'd need a wide angle version (about £30). Are we past the 'cheap mark yet...? The 77mm screw in 10 stoppers are very good I believe (haven't tried them myself) by B&W and Heliopan. Only problem with the screw in type is that you have to keep removing them between shots if you change focus or position as you can't focus through the filter with it being so dark. That's the beauty with the Lee filter holder - you simply unclip it from the adaptor to make adjustments between shots. Alternatively, if you want a real cheap try at this - you could go for green welding glass at about £3.50 a shot! It leaves a pretty strong green cast but I've seen some pretty good shots after a decent photoshop session! ;)

Thanks for the reply, thats given me quite a bit to think about. The Lee filter holder looks like the best option (I didn't consider the framing problem with the screw on types!) so I will probably have a look at that. Cheers for the tips!

Some of my favourites. First one was first proper use and t'others are from various spots since then - from local to far away.All B&W110.

some amazing shots in here. Im getting up now again going out haha

Back